Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Motor start cap

In message , John Rumm
writes

The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit dead.
Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap, 100 uF,
250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order of 35mm
diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

Umm... have you checked the windings?

I acquired a chip collector (2.2kW s/ph.) on the basis that the
capacitor was duff but the motor might be OK. Trying it with a
*borrowed* capacitor was disappointing. It ran but very noisily.

After some investigation, I decided to buy a new 3ph motor for roughly
the cost of re-winding the original. The suppliers kindly turned down
the shaft for me as they had it disassembled to fit the flanged mount.

regards

--
Tim Lamb