Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Motor start cap

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John Rumm
writes

The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit dead.
Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap, 100 uF,
250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order of 35mm
diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

Umm... have you checked the windings?

Yup, it runs ok if I give it a spin to get it started. I do have two
doubts however. When disassembling it today I did notice that the stator
winding had slight discolouration in a couple of places that suggests it
might be getting hot. There was a binding string that was wrapped round
the bundle of enamelled copper wire at the top, that looked like it may
have been burnt through in a couple of locations.

The other one was I could not hear the centrifugal switch clicking out
as the revs spun up or down. It seemed to move freely by hand however. I
am sure in the past I used to hear it click in and out at at spin up and
down.

I acquired a chip collector (2.2kW s/ph.) on the basis that the
capacitor was duff but the motor might be OK. Trying it with a
*borrowed* capacitor was disappointing. It ran but very noisily.

This is a SIP twin bag jobbie with 1hp motor. Not that old - three years
perhaps.

--
Cheers,

John.