Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Motor start cap

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm writes:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
The motor start cap on my chip collector seems to be a tiny bit dead.
Anyone know where I can find something similar to a CD60 cap, 100 uF,
250V AC or better. Size wants to be something in the order of 35mm
diameter and 80mm tall to fit in the bulge on the case.

Almost any electronic store, or a p[lace that really stocks spares for
washing machines etc. etc.

Well I just looked in Maplin, CPC, RS and Rapid, and could not find an
exact match. RS had some that matched the spec, but were way to long to
fit the case. I could probably get a 60uF that would fit, not sure how
critical the actual capacitance is in this situation.

The value directly relates to starting torque.
It's not critical. Significantly lower value might cause
problems if the motor expects to start with any load or
any significant initial friction to overcome.

I can find plenty of places selling 60uF devices...

Its only driving the impeller which is mounted directly on the motor
shaft. The top and bottom ballraces mean the whole thing spins very
freely - there is a inertia to overcome but little friction at low speed.

--
Cheers,

John.