Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting window frames

'I' need to paint some already painted outside wood window frames.

I'm not *too* bothered about the finish but I want the paint to stay on,
what do I need to do by way of preparation with minimum effort?

Ta.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
'I' need to paint some already painted outside wood window frames.

I'm not *too* bothered about the finish but I want the paint to stay on,
what do I need to do by way of preparation with minimum effort?

Ta.

There's no substitute for lazyness...however if you must...

Wipe down with a turpentine damp rag,wait for it to dry off for 5 minutes?
then either gloss straight over or apply a matt base coat first and then
gloss.

/Shudderrrrrs! at the thought doing it this way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
'I' need to paint some already painted outside wood window frames.

I'm not *too* bothered about the finish but I want the paint to stay on,
what do I need to do by way of preparation with minimum effort?

Ta.

There's no substitute for lazyness...however if you must...

Wipe down with a turpentine damp rag,wait for it to dry off for 5 minutes?
then either gloss straight over or apply a matt base coat first and then
gloss.

Now that's what i'm talking about!

/Shudderrrrrs! at the thought doing it this way.

Seriously, I have neither the time nor the inclination to paint them,
however my sister has volunteered.
If it is going to be done I would rather it be done properly but I don't
want to look a gift horse in the mouth.
What would be your preferred way of doing it? Sanding? Blowlamp?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
[...]

Hah! yes blow lamp,have you ever watched a piece of glass crack when its
heated up and cooled down too fast?

If the window frames are worth the effort? Nitromors and course wire wool.
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes

"George" wrote in message
m...

"R D S" wrote in message
'I' need to paint some already painted outside wood window frames.

I'm not *too* bothered about the finish but I want the paint to stay on,
what do I need to do by way of preparation with minimum effort?

Seriously, I have neither the time nor the inclination to paint them,
however my sister has volunteered.
If it is going to be done I would rather it be done properly but I don't
want to look a gift horse in the mouth.
What would be your preferred way of doing it? Sanding? Blowlamp?

What is the current state of the paint? If it is sound, with maybe just
the odd bit of flaking then a good rub down with abrasive paper,
followed by undercoat and topcoat.

If the paint is very poor with a lot of flaking then I'd strip it using
a hot air gun (a cheap one is ok). you still need to rub down afterwards
though. Then use a primer before undercoat and top coat.

I've been happy with the Dulux Weathershield Gloss system.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
In message , R D S
writes

"George" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
[...]

4mm glass pieces are good for stripping old paint, but they need to be
cleanly cut.

Mold in window frames John Home Repair 4 November 30th 05 09:01 PM
UPVC Window frames Ian Cornish UK diy 4 August 20th 05 10:00 AM
Window frames for the non-woodworker - ie me! mindwipe UK diy 9 July 4th 05 02:13 PM
Finish for new oak window frames andrewpreece UK diy 14 December 19th 04 09:14 PM
Fixing to PVA window frames Roly UK diy 12 March 23rd 04 09:37 AM