Posted to alt.home.repair
John

Default Mold in window frames

I have gotten mold in window frames of an indoor swimming pool room.
Replacing the windows is expensive. I have some extra waterproofing substrate
which is rated swimming pool waterproofing and outside use. The material can be
painted and forms a thick coating (much thicker than regular paint). I am
thinking of coating the window frames and put ceramic or stone tiles for nice
surface inside and outdoors.. So I'm in effect encasing the old wood frame.

Are there any problems to above plan? What will happen to the mold? Will it stop
due to lack of water and air?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

John wrote:
I have gotten mold in window frames of an indoor swimming pool room.
Replacing the windows is expensive. I have some extra waterproofing
substrate which is rated swimming pool waterproofing and outside use.
The material can be painted and forms a thick coating (much thicker
than regular paint). I am thinking of coating the window frames and
put ceramic or stone tiles for nice surface inside and outdoors.. So
I'm in effect encasing the old wood frame.

Are there any problems to above plan? What will happen to the mold?
Will it stop due to lack of water and air?

Household bleach does a good job of killing mold.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would guess you are dealing with an environment that has high
humiditity that then condenses on the window where the temperature
reaches the dew point. Encasing the wood will not, I think, help in any
way. Take the suggestions to clean the mold and expect to do it again.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

While Mold does need moisture, it also needs a food source like wood or
paper (facing on wallborad). Encasing the wood will deprive the mold of
food and water. You should howerer, bleach clean the wood before
proceeding. The "waterproofing substrate" you describe sounds like it would
be enough on its own.

I saw this copper metallic glazed ceramic tile at the store recently. Given
copper's propensity to kill microorganisms, this tile might be ideal for a
pool room if you like the dark tones it comes in.

You could also get away with treating the wood with a wood preservative like
the Jasco products. You will need to strip any varnish/finish first then
let the preservative soak in good then paint over with a good enamel or
solid stain and varnish etc.

Treating the entire pool room for mold will also reduce the spore count in
the room thereby reducing the possibility of innoculation of mold onto other
surfaces. What was that foaming concotion they made up to eradicate anthrax
from the state house offices, I bet that would work well.

oups.com...

UPVC Window frames Ian Cornish UK diy 4 August 20th 05 10:00 AM
Window frames for the non-woodworker - ie me! mindwipe UK diy 9 July 4th 05 02:13 PM
Fixing plastic hooks to uPVC window frames Jay UK diy 1 March 22nd 04 10:40 PM
Mold growing in the attic jeff Home Repair 3 February 5th 04 07:48 PM
Peeling paint on wooden window frames Tarique Naseem UK diy 12 January 20th 04 10:45 AM