Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV reception

Having recently moved to Thanet in Kent I've noticed how rubbish my TV
reception has become with a few Freeview channels now unwatchable. As I've
been in a few properties previous so I'm not entirely convinced that this is
solely an aerial issue. The aerial is in the attic rather than on the roof
which I guess doesn't help but it seems a decent size and not abnormally
small.

Does anyone whether the reception in this area of the country is just crap
and is there much I can do short of getting a new bigger aerial installed on
the roof?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 May 2008 15:18:05 UTC, "Endulini" wrote:

Having recently moved to Thanet in Kent I've noticed how rubbish my TV
reception has become with a few Freeview channels now unwatchable. As I've
been in a few properties previous so I'm not entirely convinced that this is
solely an aerial issue. The aerial is in the attic rather than on the roof
which I guess doesn't help but it seems a decent size and not abnormally
small.

Does anyone whether the reception in this area of the country is just crap
and is there much I can do short of getting a new bigger aerial installed on
the roof?

Which mast is the antenna aimed at? The official guidance told us to use
Bluebell Hill (west-ish from you) but we get a much better signal from
Dover (south of south-west I guess). Of course, not knowing where you
are in relation to hills, I can't be sure, but most of Thanet should be
able to 'see' Dover).

(I'm in Herne Bay, a few miles west of you, and that's my experience.
Note that there are two separate, spaced, masts in Dover and only one
has all of the muxes)
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Endulini wrote:

Having recently moved to Thanet in Kent I've noticed how rubbish my TV
reception has become with a few Freeview channels now unwatchable. As I've
been in a few properties previous so I'm not entirely convinced that this is
solely an aerial issue. The aerial is in the attic rather than on the roof
which I guess doesn't help but it seems a decent size and not abnormally
small.

Does anyone whether the reception in this area of the country is just crap
and is there much I can do short of getting a new bigger aerial installed on
the roof?

Cheers

Then why dont you put a decent aerial system in? A loft aerial is
never going to compare with a roof ae, so at least that part of the
system is 2nd rate..

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 May 2008 16:18:05 +0100 someone who may be "Endulini"
wrote this:-

Having recently moved to Thanet in Kent I've noticed how rubbish my TV
reception has become with a few Freeview channels now unwatchable. As I've
been in a few properties previous so I'm not entirely convinced that this is
solely an aerial issue. The aerial is in the attic rather than on the roof
which I guess doesn't help but it seems a decent size and not abnormally
small.

Television signals can be very local. A large tree can affect them
and thus without seeing your roof any suggestions will be broad.

I would start by finding out which transmitter your aerial points at
and then use the information at
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/atvschoiceofaerials.html#MajorTransmittersWhichAer ial
to see whether the aerial you currently have is suitable for
transmissions at the moment and more importantly post digital
switchover.

It may be that at the moment you would be better off with a wideband
aerial but after the switchover you don't need one. Are analogue
channels currently good, or are they bad too? Is only channel 5
analogue bad? If the analogue channels, except perhaps channel 5,
are good then some of the digital channels are probably being
transmitted out of band for your current aerial. If that is the case
they may be moved back in band at digital switchover and your
current aerial will be fine. You then need to decide whether to do
nothing or whether spending money is worthwhile.

The information on that site should allow you to get a fair way
along your quest.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Endulini wrote:
Having recently moved to Thanet in Kent I've noticed how rubbish my TV
reception has become with a few Freeview channels now unwatchable. As I've
been in a few properties previous so I'm not entirely
convinced that this is solely an aerial issue. The aerial is in the
attic rather than on the roof which I guess doesn't help but it seems
a decent size and not abnormally small.

Does anyone whether the reception in this area of the country is just
crap and is there much I can do short of getting a new bigger aerial
installed on the roof?

Cheers

Waves

I'm in Ramsgate and we have a new "digital" aerial in the loft, facing
roughly South. It runs through a booster, although I don't know if it really
has to as the booster was just there from the previous aerial so I re-used
it. Excellent picture.

My niece lives near Ramsgate town though, which is significantly lower than
where I am, and her reception isn't fantastic but her aerial's in the loft
too. I'd imagine you should get a good signal anywhere with a decent outdoor
aerial.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Endulini wrote:
[...]

Ask your neighbours what their reception is like.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Endulini" wrote in message
Having recently moved to Thanet in Kent I've noticed how rubbish my TV
reception has become with a few Freeview channels now unwatchable. As
I've been in a few properties previous so I'm not entirely convinced that
this is solely an aerial issue. The aerial is in the attic rather than on
the roof which I guess doesn't help but it seems a decent size and not
abnormally small.

Does anyone whether the reception in this area of the country is just crap
and is there much I can do short of getting a new bigger aerial installed
on the roof?

Cheers

Any outdoor aerial will be far superior to an indoor one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Endulini wrote:
Having recently moved to Thanet in Kent I've noticed how rubbish my TV
reception has become with a few Freeview channels now unwatchable. As
I've been in a few properties previous so I'm not entirely convinced
that this is solely an aerial issue. The aerial is in the attic rather
than on the roof which I guess doesn't help but it seems a decent size
and not abnormally small.

Does anyone whether the reception in this area of the country is just
crap and is there much I can do short of getting a new bigger aerial
installed on the roof?

It's possible the digital muxes are outside the frequency range of the old
aerial. Indeed it's likely. So you may have to change to a wideband one.
And having it inside won't help matters.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

[...]

All the analogue signals are poor and Channel 5 is completely unavailable
except on digital.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Endulini wrote:
[...]

Why would I care what the neighbours' tv reception is like?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mungo "Two Sheds"
Toadfoot scribeth thus
Endulini wrote:
[...]

Well its a good comparison to what your getting..

As a onetime manager of a TV shop I can tell you that the biggest
problems we ever had were with bloody loft aerials and lost many a
customer who didn't believe us.

Then we made it a rule that no TV would be supplied on anything other
then an outside aerial most all of the usual problems disappeared and we
then developed a reputation for the place that did the best TV
piccys)..

nothing quite like customers recommending you to others!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-17 20:32:59 +0100, tony sayer said:

As a onetime manager of a TV shop I can tell you that the biggest
problems we ever had were with bloody loft aerials and lost many a
customer who didn't believe us.

Then we made it a rule that no TV would be supplied on anything other
then an outside aerial most all of the usual problems disappeared and we
then developed a reputation for the place that did the best TV
piccys)..

nothing quite like customers recommending you to others!..

Was this your shop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZutcPUd_AVQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

(I'm in Herne Bay, a few miles west of you, and that's my experience.
Note that there are two separate, spaced, masts in Dover and only one
has all of the muxes)

Really? I thought they were all on the one big mast. The other masts are
MW radio and FM radio (on the cliff by the memorial - MW, the three
by the castle/A2 are FM) AFAIK.

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TR274397
http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TR274398

Appear to be the same place just slightly different heights.

I can see that mast from the back of our house - no need for aerials at all
here All muxes perfect reception with nothing more than a bit of cable a
few foot long (probably slowly cooking me as well ;-))

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mungo "Two Sheds"
Toadfoot scribeth thus

Why would I care what the neighbours' tv reception is like?

Si

Well its a good comparison to what your getting..

Wasn't me asking the question about reception though. Do try to keep up

Si.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 May 2008 21:07:37 UTC, (dmc) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

(I'm in Herne Bay, a few miles west of you, and that's my experience.
Note that there are two separate, spaced, masts in Dover and only one
has all of the muxes)

Really? I thought they were all on the one big mast. The other masts are
MW radio and FM radio (on the cliff by the memorial - MW, the three
by the castle/A2 are FM) AFAIK.

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TR274397
http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TR274398

Appear to be the same place just slightly different heights.

I can see that mast from the back of our house - no need for aerials at all
here All muxes perfect reception with nothing more than a bit of cable a
few foot long (probably slowly cooking me as well ;-))

Well, there used to be two! (but that was three, maybe more, years ago).
May have been a changeover thing, but they were on opposite sides of
Dover..

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mungo "Two Sheds"
Toadfoot scribeth thus
Endulini wrote:
[...]

Exactly, assuming that the "view" from your house is little different then:

If neighbours get no problems with reception - you know the problem is
with your setup.

If they all have problems even with outside aerials - you know you are
going to have to do something a lot better than them with the aerial. No
point in repeating their mistakes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 May 2008 18:29:04 +0100 someone who may be "Endulini"
wrote this:-

All the analogue signals are poor and Channel 5 is completely unavailable
except on digital.

Then perhaps the aerial is misaligned, or you are in a poor spot for
reception. I would see if the aerial points in the same direction as
those on other houses and ask neighbours about reception.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Endulini wrote:
All the analogue signals are poor and Channel 5 is completely
unavailable except on digital.

Then you can't expect FreeView to work either.

Someone has done a crap installation. Obvious by having the aerial in the
loft anyway. It would take a pro little longer to fit an external aerial
than a loft one.

Are other aerials in the street external? Do they look larger than some?
This can give clue to the local reception conditions.

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Endulini" wrote in message

All the analogue signals are poor and Channel 5 is completely unavailable
except on digital.

The last owner didn't like anything unsightly cluttering the outside of the
house. :-)

Just get a new aerial put up on the roof and its guaranteed to boost the
signal considerably.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
George wrote:
The last owner didn't like anything unsightly cluttering the outside of
the house. :-)

More likely didn't have a ladder. Or be willing to climb one.

--
*Constipated People Don't Give A Crap*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 08:31:07 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Endulini wrote:
All the analogue signals are poor and Channel 5 is completely
unavailable except on digital.

Then you can't expect FreeView to work either.

Someone has done a crap installation. Obvious by having the aerial in the
loft anyway. It would take a pro little longer to fit an external aerial
than a loft one.

Are other aerials in the street external? Do they look larger than some?
This can give clue to the local reception conditions.

In some areas, Stevenage for one, you're not allowed to use external
aerials.

Don.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 May, 18:29, "Endulini" wrote:
"David Hansen" wrote in message

On Sat, 17 May 2008 16:18:05 +0100 someone who may be "Endulini"
wrote this:-

Snipped
All the analogue signals are poor and Channel 5 is completely unavailable
except on digital.-

You never have been able to get Channel 5 on analogue in Kent as it
interferers with french tv. Only the Hougham mast in Dover will give
you digital as the other is only a low power town repeater and at the
moment is only analogue.
Trevor Smith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Cerberus .
scribeth thus

Endulini wrote:
All the analogue signals are poor and Channel 5 is completely
unavailable except on digital.

Then you can't expect FreeView to work either.

Someone has done a crap installation. Obvious by having the aerial in the
loft anyway. It would take a pro little longer to fit an external aerial
than a loft one.

Are other aerials in the street external? Do they look larger than some?
This can give clue to the local reception conditions.

In some areas, Stevenage for one, you're not allowed to use external
aerials.

Don.

About time someone challenged that under EU law!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
..com, Trevor Smith scribeth thus
On 17 May, 18:29, "Endulini" wrote:
"David Hansen" wrote in message

On Sat, 17 May 2008 16:18:05 +0100 someone who may be "Endulini"
wrote this:-

Snipped
All the analogue signals are poor and Channel 5 is completely unavailable
except on digital.-

You never have been able to get Channel 5 on analogue in Kent as it
interferers with french tv. Only the Hougham mast in Dover will give
you digital as the other is only a low power town repeater and at the
moment is only analogue.
Trevor Smith

Dover with its very directional panel aerials aimed away from le
French!..

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/dover.php
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 482f3e9e@qaanaaq, Andy Hall scribeth
thus
On 2008-05-17 20:32:59 +0100, tony sayer said:

As a onetime manager of a TV shop I can tell you that the biggest
problems we ever had were with bloody loft aerials and lost many a
customer who didn't believe us.

Then we made it a rule that no TV would be supplied on anything other
then an outside aerial most all of the usual problems disappeared and we
then developed a reputation for the place that did the best TV
piccys)..

nothing quite like customers recommending you to others!..

Was this your shop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZutcPUd_AVQ

LOL!, That was comparatively sane!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mungo "Two Sheds"
Toadfoot scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mungo "Two Sheds"
Toadfoot scribeth thus

Why would I care what the neighbours' tv reception is like?

Si

Well its a good comparison to what your getting..

Wasn't me asking the question about reception though. Do try to keep up

Si.

Well you know the wandom way those electrons wibble around...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , robert
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mungo "Two Sheds"
Toadfoot scribeth thus
Endulini wrote:
[...]

You could always go Freesat?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:26:51 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

In article
.com, Trevor Smith scribeth thus
On 17 May, 18:29, "Endulini" wrote:
"David Hansen" wrote in message

On Sat, 17 May 2008 16:18:05 +0100 someone who may be "Endulini"
wrote this:-

Snipped
All the analogue signals are poor and Channel 5 is completely unavailable
except on digital.-

You never have been able to get Channel 5 on analogue in Kent as it
interferers with french tv. Only the Hougham mast in Dover will give
you digital as the other is only a low power town repeater and at the
moment is only analogue.
Trevor Smith

Dover with its very directional panel aerials aimed away from le
French!..

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/dover.php

It should be directed at the French transmitting 'Allo 'Allo 24/7 :-) Oops
forgot, Murdoch's already doing that ;-)

Don.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 09:50:07 +0100 someone who may be "Cerberus ."
wrote this:-

In some areas, Stevenage for one, you're not allowed to use external
aerials.

Is this some imposition by the council?

As has been said, it should be challengeable in the courts.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

In some areas, Stevenage for one, you're not allowed to use external
aerials.

Is this some imposition by the council?

As has been said, it should be challengeable in the courts.

I don't know the reasoning really. It could be something to do with being a
'New Town' I suppose. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing aerials in
Welwyn Garden City or Milton Keynes either (only concrete cows).

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 14:25:57 +0100 someone who may be "Cerberus ."
wrote this:-

I don't know the reasoning really. It could be something to do with being a
'New Town' I suppose.

Quite possibly. However, if there is such a restriction then
communicating with the council's planning bods should quickly reveal
chapter and verse. It is only when that is known that it can be
challenged.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Endulini wrote:
Having recently moved to Thanet in Kent I've noticed how rubbish my TV
reception has become with a few Freeview channels now unwatchable. As
I've been in a few properties previous so I'm not entirely convinced
that this is solely an aerial issue. The aerial is in the attic rather
than on the roof which I guess doesn't help but it seems a decent size
and not abnormally small.

Does anyone whether the reception in this area of the country is just
crap and is there much I can do short of getting a new bigger aerial
installed on the roof?

Cheers

I suggest you ask again in uk.tech.broadcast.

Andy

BTW: to those who say you can get nowhere without a roof aerial: I'm
sure my wife isn't the only one who objects to having "an 8ft long fish
skeleton" on the roof..."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-18 19:48:43 +0100, Andy Champ said:

Endulini wrote:
Having recently moved to Thanet in Kent I've noticed how rubbish my TV
reception has become with a few Freeview channels now unwatchable. As
I've been in a few properties previous so I'm not entirely convinced
that this is solely an aerial issue. The aerial is in the attic rather
than on the roof which I guess doesn't help but it seems a decent size
and not abnormally small.

Does anyone whether the reception in this area of the country is just
crap and is there much I can do short of getting a new bigger aerial
installed on the roof?

Cheers

I suggest you ask again in uk.tech.broadcast.

Andy

BTW: to those who say you can get nowhere without a roof aerial: I'm
sure my wife isn't the only one who objects to having "an 8ft long fish
skeleton" on the roof..."

Does she live on the roof or do her sunbathing there?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 2008-05-18 19:48:43 +0100, Andy Champ said:

Endulini wrote:
[...]

Further, the newer aerials are likely to be mounted on larger poles than
used to be common (2 inch) and be much larger than used to be required.
For us, we would need a 12 foot pole on the back or front of the house.
Huge, intrusive (visible while sunbathing without a doubt) and probably
noisy in any significant wind. Of course, this is not universal. For us
the local transmitter (less than one mile away) cannot be received and
does not transmit Freeview.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rod
scribeth thus
On 2008-05-18 19:48:43 +0100, Andy Champ said:

Endulini wrote:
[...]

Go Freesat then..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Rod
scribeth thus
On 2008-05-18 19:48:43 +0100, Andy Champ said:

Endulini wrote:
[...]

Virgin. For now...

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 May 2008 00:51:08 +0100, Owain wrote:

Cerberus . wrote:
I don't know the reasoning really. It could be something to do with being a
'New Town' I suppose. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing aerials in
Welwyn Garden City or Milton Keynes either (only concrete cows).

MK was supposed to be fully cabled from the outset. AIUI because the
cable was pretty crap/expensive so many people installed sat dishes and
the council didn't object at the time, the council are in effect barred
from taking action against anyone with a dish now

Owain

I don't know what the situation is nowadays in Stevenage, but when I lived
there some twenty-odd years ago the Council enforced the 'no aeriel' policy
strictly. In fact the ban was written into tenancy agreements & into the
deeds of our house.

It wasn't a great hardship in fact because of the communal aeriels we were
able to pick up regional channels such as Thames, LWT, Anglia etc which
tho' limited gave a "better" choice of programs than we would have had
otherwise.

Don..

Don.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 May 2008 08:00:39 +0100 someone who may be "Cerberus ."
wrote this:-

I don't know what the situation is nowadays in Stevenage, but when I lived
there some twenty-odd years ago the Council enforced the 'no aeriel' policy
strictly.

They presumably don't have a 'no satellite dishes' policy and if
that is the case I don't see how they could bar anything else that
receives television (or radio) transmissions.

It wasn't a great hardship in fact because of the communal aeriels we were
able to pick up regional channels such as Thames, LWT, Anglia etc which
tho' limited gave a "better" choice of programs than we would have had
otherwise.

These days do they have communal satellite dishes so people can get
the whole range of regional programmes I wonder? It can sometimes be
useful to get more information on a story by watching say BBC1 East
Midlands. A satellite receiver can be purchased for less than £40
from Maplin, no doubt cheaper elsewhere.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote in

snip

It can sometimes be useful to get more information
on a story by watching say BBC1 East Midlands.

You were doing so well up to that point...

--
PeterMcC
Nottingham
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Does she live on the roof or do her sunbathing there?

Neither. It just shows when you walk up to the house.

Since our communal aerial system died today, the resistance level has
dropped somewhat... so I think I'll get a decent one, see if it works
in the loft, and if not... pole on the chimney it is.

Andy

Radio reception Roger UK diy 6 May 5th 07 08:08 AM
TV reception [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 June 12th 06 04:07 AM
no UHF reception old dirtbeard Home Repair 8 February 21st 06 04:13 PM
Lousy TV reception [email protected] Home Ownership 3 August 31st 05 01:03 AM
Better TV reception chlim Home Repair 17 March 2nd 05 09:28 PM