Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radio reception

I have a cheap alarm radio tuned to Classic FM which is not the
strongest signal around. Normal listening is all but impossible due to
interference unless I either hold the aerial wire or put my hand very
close to the radio itself. The first option gives perfect clarity and
the second reasonable listening but I find the need to be part of the
system too restricting to be comfortable about either. Is there anything
I could usefully use as a substitute? I have no idea why I should
improve the reception so don't know what to try out.

I was originally going to badge this query as OT but on second thoughts
it does seem distinctly diy.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:
I have a cheap alarm radio tuned to Classic FM which is not the
strongest signal around. Normal listening is all but impossible due to
interference unless I either hold the aerial wire or put my hand very
close to the radio itself. The first option gives perfect clarity and
the second reasonable listening but I find the need to be part of the
system too restricting to be comfortable about either. Is there anything
I could usefully use as a substitute? I have no idea why I should
improve the reception so don't know what to try out.

I was originally going to badge this query as OT but on second thoughts
it does seem distinctly diy.

String a longer bit of wire out the window.

Adjust it for best signal.

If only listening to one signal, you can roughly tune it by ear to that
frequency.

I have also found that wrapping the aerial round the mains lead
sometimes makes it better - or worse. I have even connected the wire to
the mains earth, and go some improvement.

If you have a decent FM aerial in the house connected to distribution
amp stuff, consider connecting a bit of wire to one of its outputs as a
local booster/repeater :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 May 2007 17:16:10 +0100, Roger
wrote:

I have a cheap alarm radio tuned to Classic FM which is not the
strongest signal around. Normal listening is all but impossible due to
interference unless I either hold the aerial wire or put my hand very
close to the radio itself. The first option gives perfect clarity and
the second reasonable listening but I find the need to be part of the
system too restricting to be comfortable about either. Is there anything
I could usefully use as a substitute? I have no idea why I should
improve the reception so don't know what to try out.

I was originally going to badge this query as OT but on second thoughts
it does seem distinctly diy.

Open the radio up and connect a thin bit of wire to the aerial that
will hang down outside is about all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger wrote:
I have a cheap alarm radio tuned to Classic FM which is not the
strongest signal around. Normal listening is all but impossible due to
interference unless I either hold the aerial wire or put my hand very
close to the radio itself. The first option gives perfect clarity and
the second reasonable listening but I find the need to be part of the
system too restricting to be comfortable about either. Is there anything
I could usefully use as a substitute? I have no idea why I should
improve the reception so don't know what to try out.

I was originally going to badge this query as OT but on second thoughts
it does seem distinctly diy.

The answer is simple. You need a better aerial. Implementing that may be
more difficult. You could try extending the wire aerial. About 1 metre
vertical is roughly what's needed for FM.

--
*The longest recorded flightof a chicken is thirteen seconds *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I have a cheap alarm radio tuned to Classic FM which is not the
strongest signal around. Normal listening is all but impossible due to
interference unless I either hold the aerial wire or put my hand very
close to the radio itself. The first option gives perfect clarity and
the second reasonable listening but I find the need to be part of the
system too restricting to be comfortable about either. Is there anything
I could usefully use as a substitute? I have no idea why I should
improve the reception so don't know what to try out.

I was originally going to badge this query as OT but on second thoughts
it does seem distinctly diy.

The answer is simple. You need a better aerial. Implementing that may be
more difficult. You could try extending the wire aerial. About 1 metre
vertical is roughly what's needed for FM.

Thanks to Dave and the others who have replied.

The radio has an aerial almost 1 metre long (38") which was
approximately vertical but the inboard end was twisted round the power
cable and hanging slackly didn't help either. Straightening the aerial
has transformed the reception. I hope it remains transformed after dark
when the reception has previously been at its worst.

--
Roger Chapman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 May 2007 18:46:21 +0100, Roger wrote:

I have a cheap alarm radio tuned to Classic FM ...

snip
Straightening the aerial has transformed the reception. I hope it
remains transformed after dark when the reception has previously been at
its worst.

That's a bit weird FM isn't normally affected by day/night at least not to
the extent that MW is.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 4 May 2007 18:46:21 +0100, Roger wrote:

I have a cheap alarm radio tuned to Classic FM ...

snip
Straightening the aerial has transformed the reception. I hope it
remains transformed after dark when the reception has previously been at
its worst.

That's a bit weird FM isn't normally affected by day/night at least not to
the extent that MW is.

It is a bit..if you are going to get interference from distant stations
it will be at night..

Same with digital TV..

TV reception [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 June 12th 06 04:07 AM
no UHF reception old dirtbeard Home Repair 8 February 21st 06 04:13 PM
Better TV reception chlim Home Repair 17 March 2nd 05 09:28 PM
OT improving radio reception Andrew V Metalworking 172 March 2nd 05 01:52 AM