Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oudoor CCTV Camera

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120743#
Got an e-mail about this today .Anyone got one .Is it any good ?
It's certainly cheap enough .
Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120743#
Got an e-mail about this today .Anyone got one .Is it any good ?
It's certainly cheap enough .
Stuart

IR leds that are too near the camera lens will give you a halo effect and
the image in the center will darken.

At least thats what the two different round cameras I bought off ebay did.

So I just purchased a camera on its own and this...
http://tinyurl.com/6qqhch

The camera sits on top of the IR lamp and is giving me a perfect night time
viewing at the back of the property.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120743#
Got an e-mail about this today .Anyone got one .Is it any good ?
It's certainly cheap enough .

Looks identical to my Swan one.
They aren't very good. They last about a year outdoors
before water gets in. A thought which has occured to me
is to unscrew the 2 halves when brand new and apply
silicone grease to the O-ring, as that might make them
last longer, but it breaks the "warantee voided" seal.
The failure mode I've seen in a few of them when water
does get in is that the automatic iris gets stuck in
the closed down state, which is really bizzare as it's
electronic, not mechanical. A power-cycle restores it.
Another issue is that the scan is interlaced. This
makes it rather hard to get a usable still frame unless
the subject is stationary. When I needed one, I ended up
in photoshop for a couple of hours, shifting alternate
scan lines back and forth to try and merge the two
shifted images into one usable one. The IR leds only
light up a small area in the centre of the field of view,
although they do throw a long way. They are the type of
IR LED which is visible dimly to the eye too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 16, 3:03 pm, "George" wrote:

So I just purchased a camera on its own and this...http://tinyurl.com/6qqhch

For that particular unit can you see the illuminated LEDs with the
naked eye?

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
On May 16, 3:03 pm, "George" wrote:

So I just purchased a camera on its own and

this...http://tinyurl.com/6qqhch

For that particular unit can you see the illuminated LEDs with the
naked eye?

Mathew

Close up,very faintly...at a distance of 3.5m hardly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 16 May, 15:03, "George" wrote:
wrote in message

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120743#
Got an e-mail about this today .Anyone got one .Is it any good ?
It's certainly cheap enough .
Stuart

IR leds that are too near the camera lens will give you a halo effect and
the image in the center will darken.

At least thats what the two different round cameras I bought off ebay did.

So I just purchased a camera on its own and this...http://tinyurl.com/6qqhch

The camera sits on top of the IR lamp and is giving me a perfect night time
viewing at the back of the property.

interesting.... to what distance would you say it illuminates
adequately ?
I see on Ebay its from Hong Kong - any bother? how lng did it take to
come?

thanks in advance
Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message

interesting.... to what distance would you say it illuminates
adequately ?
I see on Ebay its from Hong Kong - any bother? how lng did it take to
come?

thanks in advance
Jim

The lamp has a central fixed illumination, that is to say the light is
brighter in the middle and then it fades off but still illuminates on the
outer fringe.
Distance is good in total darkeness about 15 to 20 foot but fails if there's
light either side of it,on saying that if we already have street lighting
ect then we wouldn't need the IR lamp. ;-)

This is its brother,will purchase this one for the front of the house but
have a hidden camera.
http://tinyurl.com/4pyo8a

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message
I see on Ebay its from Hong Kong - any bother? how lng did it take to
come?

thanks in advance
Jim

Sorry, left your other question out.

No bother with it coming from HongyKongy,took about 15 working days to come.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

On Fri, 16 May 2008 14:50:13 +0100, wrote:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120743#
Got an e-mail about this today .Anyone got one .Is it any good ?

Power supply: DV012V
Power consumption: 200mA

Contents:
9V AC/DC adaptor

???

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , George
writes

"jim" wrote in message
I see on Ebay its from Hong Kong - any bother? how lng did it take to
come?

thanks in advance
Jim

Sorry, left your other question out.

No bother with it coming from HongyKongy,took about 15 working days to come.

There's staying power for you ..

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 16, 6:39 pm, "George" wrote:

For that particular unit can you see the illuminated LEDs with the
naked eye?

Close up,very faintly...at a distance of 3.5m hardly.

Okay, thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 16, 6:39 pm, "George" wrote:

For that particular unit can you see the illuminated LEDs with the
naked eye?

Close up,very faintly...at a distance of 3.5m hardly.

Okay, thanks.

I've read a few articles on the led wavelength and most have said this...
Wavelength
IR LEDs come in various wavelengths, most commonly 940 nm, 880 nm (like the
aforementioned Siemens LEDs), and 840 nm. Which would be best for this
application?

The 840 nm LEDs tend to be barely visible, since their spectral half-width
is wide enough to overlap the extreme red portion of the visible spectrum.
880 nm and 940 nm wouldn't be visible, but they might be too far into the
infrared for the camera - I don't know how fast IR sensitivity drops off.
Obviously, some testing is in order.

So I stayed with the 850nm to be on the safe side of the cameras available
to work with IR night time viewing.

What you have to understand is there's a lot of cameras about that give poor
visabilty at night time and fail with IR because they're of poor design and
low light.

The one I have in the back of the house was gotten from a car boot sale and
is only B&W but its low lux was ideal for the IR lamp and is giving good
results in complete darkness as there is no light whatsoever at the back of
this house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"George" writes:

What you have to understand is there's a lot of cameras about that give poor
visabilty at night time and fail with IR because they're of poor design and
low light.

The one I have in the back of the house was gotten from a car boot sale and
is only B&W but its low lux was ideal for the IR lamp and is giving good
results in complete darkness as there is no light whatsoever at the back of
this house.

One thing that did surprise me with the colour day/night cameras is
that it's not a simple switch between day mode (colour) and night
mode (IR shown as black and white), but each pixel seems to decide
by itself. So you can have the camera operating at night with the
image in black and white, except that if there is something in the
field of view which is lit up brightly e.g. due to an outside light,
that bit of the image will be in full colour. Don't know if they all
do this though.

--
Andrew Gabriel

How do I test a CCTV camera ??? boombangabang UK diy 7 September 14th 07 08:02 PM
CCTV camera mattyh UK diy 10 August 16th 07 07:39 PM
Help wiring up a CCTV camera john Smith UK diy 3 August 5th 05 06:18 PM
cctv camera web site? mrcheerful UK diy 14 January 25th 05 08:53 PM
cctv camera probs Duncan Newell Electronics Repair 4 October 11th 04 04:59 AM