Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CCTV camera

I've got a new build house which is wired ready for a CCTV camera... i
have a spare RF lead in the loft ready to connect to the distribution
amp, and next to the front door I have a wire concealed behind a
blanking plate. When I removed the blanking plate and touched the
wire I got a bit of a shock from it, so I'm assuming both power and
signal are combined within the one RF lead (though it doesn't have a
connector on the end at the moment)

Does anyone know what kind of CCTV camera i'd need to buy that would
work here? Looking around it seems they all require seperate power
suppies!

Thanks in advance!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 06:02:45 -0700, mattyh
wrote:

I've got a new build house which is wired ready for a CCTV camera... i
have a spare RF lead in the loft ready to connect to the distribution
amp, and next to the front door I have a wire concealed behind a
blanking plate. When I removed the blanking plate and touched the
wire I got a bit of a shock from it, so I'm assuming both power and
signal are combined within the one RF lead (though it doesn't have a
connector on the end at the moment)

Does anyone know what kind of CCTV camera i'd need to buy that would
work here? Looking around it seems they all require seperate power
suppies!

Thanks in advance!

Ask Bill Wright in uk.rec.digital-tv
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've got a new build house which is wired ready for a CCTV camera... i
have a spare RF lead in the loft ready to connect to the distribution
amp, and next to the front door I have a wire concealed behind a
blanking plate. When I removed the blanking plate and touched the
wire I got a bit of a shock from it, so I'm assuming both power and
signal are combined within the one RF lead (though it doesn't have a
connector on the end at the moment)

Does anyone know what kind of CCTV camera i'd need to buy that would
work here? Looking around it seems they all require seperate power
suppies!

or even uk.tech.digital-tv
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 06:02:45 -0700, mattyh
mused:

I've got a new build house which is wired ready for a CCTV camera... i
have a spare RF lead in the loft ready to connect to the distribution
amp, and next to the front door I have a wire concealed behind a
blanking plate. When I removed the blanking plate and touched the
wire I got a bit of a shock from it, so I'm assuming both power and
signal are combined within the one RF lead (though it doesn't have a
connector on the end at the moment)

Does anyone know what kind of CCTV camera i'd need to buy that would
work here? Looking around it seems they all require seperate power
suppies!

I think that somewhere you are mistaken.

Any chance of finding someone who does know what you actually have? I
would be surprised if a cable had been put in, phantom powerd and
modulated ready for plugging striaght into a distribution system, but
no camera fitted. The camera would have been the cheapest part of the
job.

Are you sure you got a belt, and not just a static discharge? I'd
imagine the cable would be a bit of co-ax stuck in the wall from the
box to the loft, and that's it.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Johnson wrote:
Ask Bill Wright in uk.rec.digital-tv

Please don't. That group has got nothing to do with CCTV. There are other
more suitable ones. And Bill is an expert on aerial erection and
distribution - not CCTV.

--
*If only you'd use your powers for good instead of evil.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the responses, and apologies if i'm in the wrong group,
it's difficult to know where to post!

I do think it's powered... in a Homer Simpson-esque way i put my
finger on the wire several times and got a buzz each time before
working out that their may be power there. The other thing that makes
me suspect this is that other homes on the development (that opted for
the camera install) appear to only have one wire going to their
cameras.

The charge for the fully fitted camera from the home builder was about
£200 hence the reason I decided against it and am now looking to see
if I just need to buy a cheapo camera!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 15/08/2007, mattyh supposed :
I've got a new build house which is wired ready for a CCTV camera... i
have a spare RF lead in the loft ready to connect to the distribution
amp, and next to the front door I have a wire concealed behind a
blanking plate. When I removed the blanking plate and touched the
wire I got a bit of a shock from it, so I'm assuming both power and
signal are combined within the one RF lead (though it doesn't have a
connector on the end at the moment)

The shock seems likely to have been the small amount of leakage which
is normal from a TV to its antenna. The outer screen is not normally
taken to an actual ground, the distribution amp will also be lacking a
ground so will pass the voltage to the wire you touched.

It does seem a little odd that such a cable has been installed at all,
without a camera. If such a thing exists - you will need a camera with
built in RF modulator, possibly able to be line powered. The RF
modulator changes the cameras A/V type signal into the equivalent of a
TV channel receivable by a normal analogue TV.

A camera with the more usual A/V signal output can be plugged straight
into a SCART socket on your TV. We have one plugged into the SCART and
it automatically switches the TV to the cameras view when ever the
camera 'sees' some movement in its field of view.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:34:18 -0000, mattyh
mused:

Thanks for the responses, and apologies if i'm in the wrong group,
it's difficult to know where to post!

I do think it's powered...

Thinking and knowing are 2 entirely different things.

in a Homer Simpson-esque way i put my
finger on the wire several times and got a buzz each time before
working out that their may be power there. The other thing that makes
me suspect this is that other homes on the development (that opted for
the camera install) appear to only have one wire going to their
cameras.

You need to find out what the cable is, where it goes and whether
there is any other equipment connected to it. I suspect not.

The charge for the fully fitted camera from the home builder was about
£200 hence the reason I decided against it and am now looking to see
if I just need to buy a cheapo camera!

£200 isn't far off the mark for a half decent camera properly fitted
and fed into the distribution system.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You're right, thinking and knowing are two seperate things, and
without contacting the builder I can't be sure.

However, the reason I thought there was power there is because I found
what I suspected was the other end of the wire in the loft not plugged
into the distribution amp. If it's not plugged into anything that end
then I don't see how any static or anything could get down the wire,
so could that mean that power is provided onto it somewhere else down
the line?

Thanks again for all your help, though I suspect I may have to pose
the question to the builders to find out what's connected to what!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 01:31:57 -0700, mattyh
wrote:

You're right, thinking and knowing are two seperate things, and
without contacting the builder I can't be sure.

However, the reason I thought there was power there is because I found
what I suspected was the other end of the wire in the loft not plugged
into the distribution amp. If it's not plugged into anything that end
then I don't see how any static or anything could get down the wire,
so could that mean that power is provided onto it somewhere else down
the line?

Thanks again for all your help, though I suspect I may have to pose
the question to the builders to find out what's connected to what!

Some cameras are phantom power fed. What you'll have to do though is
to measure the voltage coming back to the camera to check that it's
'real' power and that the voltage is suitable for your camera.
If you have a conventionally powered camera, you can build (or buy) a
power separation filter, which splits the dc (from the cable) from the
video (the camera's output), if the dc is suitable...

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:44:52 +0100, Frank Erskine
mused:

wrote:

[...]

I'd forget about phantom power feeds for now.
--
Regards,
Stuart.