Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lurch Lurch is offline

Default CCTV camera

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:44:52 +0100, Frank Erskine
mused:

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 01:31:57 -0700, mattyh
wrote:

You're right, thinking and knowing are two seperate things, and
without contacting the builder I can't be sure.

However, the reason I thought there was power there is because I found
what I suspected was the other end of the wire in the loft not plugged
into the distribution amp. If it's not plugged into anything that end
then I don't see how any static or anything could get down the wire,
so could that mean that power is provided onto it somewhere else down
the line?

Thanks again for all your help, though I suspect I may have to pose
the question to the builders to find out what's connected to what!

Some cameras are phantom power fed. What you'll have to do though is
to measure the voltage coming back to the camera to check that it's
'real' power and that the voltage is suitable for your camera.
If you have a conventionally powered camera, you can build (or buy) a
power separation filter, which splits the dc (from the cable) from the
video (the camera's output), if the dc is suitable...

I'd forget about phantom power feeds for now.
--
Regards,
Stuart.