Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oudoor CCTV Camera

In article ,
writes:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120743#
Got an e-mail about this today .Anyone got one .Is it any good ?
It's certainly cheap enough .

Looks identical to my Swan one.
They aren't very good. They last about a year outdoors
before water gets in. A thought which has occured to me
is to unscrew the 2 halves when brand new and apply
silicone grease to the O-ring, as that might make them
last longer, but it breaks the "warantee voided" seal.
The failure mode I've seen in a few of them when water
does get in is that the automatic iris gets stuck in
the closed down state, which is really bizzare as it's
electronic, not mechanical. A power-cycle restores it.
Another issue is that the scan is interlaced. This
makes it rather hard to get a usable still frame unless
the subject is stationary. When I needed one, I ended up
in photoshop for a couple of hours, shifting alternate
scan lines back and forth to try and merge the two
shifted images into one usable one. The IR leds only
light up a small area in the centre of the field of view,
although they do throw a long way. They are the type of
IR LED which is visible dimly to the eye too.

--
Andrew Gabriel