Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oudoor CCTV Camera

In article ,
"George" writes:

What you have to understand is there's a lot of cameras about that give poor
visabilty at night time and fail with IR because they're of poor design and
low light.

The one I have in the back of the house was gotten from a car boot sale and
is only B&W but its low lux was ideal for the IR lamp and is giving good
results in complete darkness as there is no light whatsoever at the back of
this house.

One thing that did surprise me with the colour day/night cameras is
that it's not a simple switch between day mode (colour) and night
mode (IR shown as black and white), but each pixel seems to decide
by itself. So you can have the camera operating at night with the
image in black and white, except that if there is something in the
field of view which is lit up brightly e.g. due to an outside light,
that bit of the image will be in full colour. Don't know if they all
do this though.

--
Andrew Gabriel