Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dishwasher not washing

Hi

Seem to have a bit of a problem with the top shelf of the dishwasher which
means that the dishes placed there do not get washed and the ones below are
only clean-ish. When I turn it on and open the door to see what's happening
it looks like I get a little burst of water from the top outlet and then
nothing else there, even if the bottom arm is turning and spurting
water(although I have not discounted the fact that there is possibly a valve
that alternates water between the top and bottom arms).

Anyone any ideas on the issue and whether it is worth fixing, or should I
bite the bullet and get a new machine given the cost to repair it?

Thanks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Greg" wrote in message
Hi

Seem to have a bit of a problem with the top shelf of the dishwasher which
means that the dishes placed there do not get washed and the ones below
are only clean-ish. When I turn it on and open the door to see what's
happening it looks like I get a little burst of water from the top outlet
and then nothing else there, even if the bottom arm is turning and
spurting water(although I have not discounted the fact that there is
possibly a valve that alternates water between the top and bottom arms).

Anyone any ideas on the issue and whether it is worth fixing, or should I
bite the bullet and get a new machine given the cost to repair it?

Thanks!

Mine (Hoover) has a selector witch for bottom only. Some have arms that can
be reversed so that the top arm fires downwards. Have you checked this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"Greg" wrote in message
[...]

Convention is that answers go here.

Try descaleing the dishwasher. The powder can be purchased at an
independent appliance shop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:03:54 UTC, "Greg" wrote:

Seem to have a bit of a problem with the top shelf of the dishwasher which
means that the dishes placed there do not get washed and the ones below are
only clean-ish. When I turn it on and open the door to see what's happening
it looks like I get a little burst of water from the top outlet and then
nothing else there, even if the bottom arm is turning and spurting
water(although I have not discounted the fact that there is possibly a valve
that alternates water between the top and bottom arms).

Anyone any ideas on the issue and whether it is worth fixing, or should I
bite the bullet and get a new machine given the cost to repair it?

Gunge in the pipes.

Descaling - perhaps. I've not noticed significant scale anywhere and
we're in ahard water area.

Gunge - grease, fat etc. deposits are likely in internal pipes. A sod to
clear by hand but try a proprietary dishwasher cleaner (e.g. Finish do
one). You stick the bottle (has a wax seal) in the top tray and do a
wash. Repeat, possibly, if the blockage is bad.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Bob Eager" writes:
Gunge - grease, fat etc. deposits are likely in internal pipes. A sod to
clear by hand but try a proprietary dishwasher cleaner (e.g. Finish do
one). You stick the bottle (has a wax seal) in the top tray and do a
wash. Repeat, possibly, if the blockage is bad.

Washing up liquid works too, but not too much or you'll have
a kitchen full of foam. There seems to be some type of grease
which dishwasher detergent allows to build up, but which
washing up liquid dissolves. (I mean real Fairy liquid here,
and not some useless Eco washing up liquid.)

I sometimes add a drip or two of Fairy liquid when putting on
the dishwasher, and I've never had any grease build-up inside
it or needed to run one of the dishwasher cleaners since
starting this some years ago.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Greg wrote:
Hi

Seem to have a bit of a problem with the top shelf of the dishwasher
which means that the dishes placed there do not get washed and the
ones below are only clean-ish. When I turn it on and open the door to
see what's happening it looks like I get a little burst of water from
the top outlet and then nothing else there, even if the bottom arm is
turning and spurting water(although I have not discounted the fact
that there is possibly a valve that alternates water between the top
and bottom arms).
Anyone any ideas on the issue and whether it is worth fixing, or
should I bite the bullet and get a new machine given the cost to
repair it?

I have a similar problem. On checking out the bottom arm, I discovered that
there were multiple small splits in the plastic. Presumably, this is
preventing the water from reaching the optimum pressure and thus failing to
reach the top properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fergus O'Rourke" wrote in message
Greg wrote:
[...]

I can recall seeing this on an old machine that was being chucked out. Hard
to spot as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Greg wrote:
Hi

Seem to have a bit of a problem with the top shelf of the dishwasher
which means that the dishes placed there do not get washed and the ones
below are only clean-ish. When I turn it on and open the door to see
what's happening it looks like I get a little burst of water from the
top outlet and then nothing else there, even if the bottom arm is
turning and spurting water(although I have not discounted the fact that
there is possibly a valve that alternates water between the top and
bottom arms).

Anyone any ideas on the issue and whether it is worth fixing, or should
I bite the bullet and get a new machine given the cost to repair it?

Thanks!

A very long time ago I used to walk past a shop that had a dishwasher in
the window. Working.

In order to attract interest, after all a white door isn't exactly
rivetting, they had fitted a sheet of clear perspex (or similar) across
the front of the machine. (I assume that they had left the door in the
fully open position - but it might have been removed.) They must have
made the machine "think" that it's door was closed.

Well - it worked. I certainly noticed and still remember.

Do dishwasher engineers have such things? Surely the manufacturers have
them to enable testing (at least during development if not on the
production line)? Strikes me as the obvious answer to this problem -
look and see!

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod writes:

A very long time ago I used to walk past a shop that had a dishwasher in
the window. Working.

In order to attract interest, after all a white door isn't exactly
rivetting, they had fitted a sheet of clear perspex (or similar) across
the front of the machine. (I assume that they had left the door in the
fully open position - but it might have been removed.) They must have
made the machine "think" that it's door was closed.

Well - it worked. I certainly noticed and still remember.

Do dishwasher engineers have such things? Surely the manufacturers have
them to enable testing (at least during development if not on the
production line)? Strikes me as the obvious answer to this problem -
look and see!

They clipped onto the open door.

They were quite standard sales props when dishwashers were
new gadgets in homes and few people knew how they worked.
Washing machines were more universal, and some people thought
their crockery would get damaged when the dishwasher did its
final spin, so they hadn't considered getting one. (This was
probably compounded by there being some dual purpose washing
machines and dishwashers in the early days.)

On a similar topic, when I bought my Hotpoint Micro Profile
1400 over 20 years ago (then Hotpoint's top of the range),
it was always on show in shops with its display cycling
through all the wash programmes. I was told there was a magic
sequence of button presses to put the microprocessor into
this mode, but I never managed to work out what it was.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Apr, 09:30, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Washing machines were more universal, and some people thought
their crockery would get damaged when the dishwasher did its
final spin,

Ah! You mean the instant conversion of a 24 piece tea set to a 48
piece!