Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Connecting a dishwasher to washing machine plumbing

Would anyone have suggestions how to connect a dishwasher to the
washing machine hot water feed and disposal line? I know it's an
unusual way of doing things but I don't have much of a choice...thanks
to a big old return vent that is next to the sink. Any help will be
appreciated...the plumbing supply guy just looked at me funny when I
asked about it.

Deano in Cincinnati

Posted to alt.home.repair

Deano wrote:
Would anyone have suggestions how to connect a dishwasher to the
washing machine hot water feed and disposal line? I know it's an
unusual way of doing things but I don't have much of a choice...thanks
to a big old return vent that is next to the sink. Any help will be
appreciated...the plumbing supply guy just looked at me funny when I
asked about it.

Deano in Cincinnati

Something to think about: Dishwashers normally discharge into the garbage
disposal so that chunks can get grinded up. If you plan on discharging
directly into the drain, be sure to de-chunk your dishes first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 11:40 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Deano wrote:
Would anyone have suggestions how to connect a dishwasher to the
washing machine hot water feed and disposal line? I know it's an
unusual way of doing things but I don't have much of a choice...thanks
to a big old return vent that is next to the sink. Any help will be
appreciated...the plumbing supply guy just looked at me funny when I
asked about it.

Deano in Cincinnati

Something to think about: Dishwashers normally discharge into the garbage
disposal so that chunks can get grinded up. If you plan on discharging
directly into the drain, be sure to de-chunk your dishes first.

OK, that's a new one to me...

How's the disposer going to grind the chunks unless it's running
during the drain cycle? And if the disposer fills up with chunks, its
not going to drain.

What about houses that do not have disposers? I don't recall seeing
anything in any instructions I've read regarding rinsing dishes more
throughally if you don't have a disposer.

My dishwasher has its own impeller to take care of the soft stuff. The
instructions specifically say not to waste water by rinsing off soft
food prior to washing.

Are you sure about that "so that chunks can get grinded up" comment?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Something to think about: Dishwashers normally discharge into the
garbage disposal so that chunks can get grinded up. If you plan on
discharging directly into the drain, be sure to de-chunk your dishes
first.

OK, that's a new one to me...

How's the disposer going to grind the chunks unless it's running
during the drain cycle? And if the disposer fills up with chunks, its
not going to drain.

I don't know. I guess someone figured the capacity of the disposal was
greater than the quantity of detritus normally left on dishes.

What about houses that do not have disposers? I don't recall seeing
anything in any instructions I've read regarding rinsing dishes more
throughally if you don't have a disposer.

I don't know. As a guess, they either rinse their dishes first or, when the
drain clogs up, they move to another shotgun shack without a garbage
disposal.

My dishwasher has its own impeller to take care of the soft stuff. The
instructions specifically say not to waste water by rinsing off soft
food prior to washing.

Can it handle T-bones, the tops of pineapples, or napkins?

Are you sure about that "so that chunks can get grinded up" comment?

Well, no, I'm not sure. It's merely a conclusion based on the observation
that a) The disposal has an inlet for dishwasher output, b) the dishwasher's
outlet hose fits the disposal, and c) instructions for both garbage
disposals and dishwashers mention it (although they don't insist).

"Slip one hose clamp over each end of the short drain hose that will run
from the garbage disposal to the large outlet on the air gap"
http://www.hometips.com/articles/dis...r_install.html

"If using a dishwasher, you will need to tap out the dishwasher knockout
plug."
http://www.insinkerator.com/service/...disposer1.html

My momma insisted that I chew my food before it went down the pipe. Other
mothers may have advised differently.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...
Deano wrote:
[...]

You are probably correct. Most (if not all) dishwashers come with a built
in grinder for what would be expected to be discharged from a dishwasher. I
don't ever recall having to run a disposal to grind the output of a
dishwasher. In other words, there won't be any "chunks" to be ground up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Deano wrote:
[...]

Here in WI, it is against code to discharge the dishwasher into the
disposal. I don't know what the logic is behind it, but it is one
code that I don't follow. The biggest benefit, as I see it, is that
that you regularly have hot sudsy water going through the disposal,
which generally keeps it from getting stinky.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 6:43 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Why would I put a T-Bones in my dishwasher? And why would I expect it
to pass through the dishwasher's drain system into the disposal to be
ground up? Why am I even repsonding to this post?

Are you sure about that "so that chunks can get grinded up" comment?

Well, no, I'm not sure. It's merely a conclusion based on the observation
that a) The disposal has an inlet for dishwasher output, b) the dishwasher's
outlet hose fits the disposal, and c) instructions for both garbage
disposals and dishwashers mention it (although they don't insist).

"Slip one hose clamp over each end of the short drain hose that will run
from the garbage disposal to the large outlet on the air gap"http://www.hometips.com/articles/dishwasher_install.html

"If using a dishwasher, you will need to tap out the dishwasher knockout
plug."http://www.insinkerator.com/service/install_disposer1.html

My momma insisted that I chew my food before it went down the pipe. Other
mothers may have advised differently.

I'm not sure how you reached the conclusion that because there is
knockout for the dishwasher in the disposal that the disposal is
supposed to be used to grind up debris from the dishwasher. The
knockout is there simply to make the connection to the drain easier.

If you back-pedal any farther, you're going to run into something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 9:04 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Nov 13, 7:16 pm, "DonC" wrote:

oups.com...

Deano wrote:
[...]

JK- Hide quoted text -

The only logic I can think of is that if someone forgot to run the
disposal before running the DW, the DW might back up and cause a
problem. On the rare occasions that it has happened in my house, the
DW water would come up into the sink since the DW discharge hose is
above the "clogged" drain of the disposal. I can't imagine it ever
being a major problem, but maybe "they" do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 11:32 am, Deano wrote:
Would anyone have suggestions how to connect a dishwasher to the
washing machine hot water feed and disposal line? I know it's an
unusual way of doing things but I don't have much of a choice...thanks
to a big old return vent that is next to the sink. Any help will be
appreciated...the plumbing supply guy just looked at me funny when I
asked about it.

Deano in Cincinnati

It's tough to answer that question without knowing how your plumbing
is laid out. In general, you need to get the braided hose from the DW
to a water source with a threaded connection, such as threaded shut-
off or nipple. This may mean tapping into the water line for the
washing machine with a T, a shut-off and a nipple. It may also mean
you need a longer braided hose than came with the DW.

As far as hooking up the drain, that could be a bigger issue. Again,
no one here knows how your washing machine drain is set up, so it's
real hard to answer that question with any specificity. In any case, I
don't know if the pump on a DW is strong enough to move the waste
water much farther than the length of the supplied hose, and I'd
certainly be suprised if it could lift it higher than the DW if that's
where the top of the washing machine standpipe is. You need to call
the manufacturer on that one.

At the very least you need to describe the current washing machine
waterline and drain in a little more detail before we can offer any
more help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

K, here's the set up...regular PVC vertical washer disposal line about
38" high. The hot water feed is a cold/hot cpvc 1/2" i.d., 5/8" od
nipple attached to a shut off valve on the washer line. I can stick
the flexible discharge tubing up in to the washer disposal line but
the feed on the dishwasher is not 5/8" to fit the cpcv line...I do not
know how to jerry-rig this.

Thanks for helping....

Hey you other guys...my own house does not have a garbage disposal in
the sink and the dishwasher has never caused a problem.

Deano

On Nov 14, 12:00�am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 13, 11:32 am, Deano wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 2:18 pm, Deano wrote:

K, here's the set up...regular PVC vertical washer disposal line

about 38" high.

As I said in my previous post, I don't know if the pump on a DW is
strong enough to move the waste water much farther than the length of
the supplied hose, and I'd certainly be suprised if it could lift it
higher than the DW if that's where the top of the washing machine
standpipe is. You need to call the manufacturer on that one.

The hot water feed is a cold/hot cpvc 1/2" i.d., 5/8" od
nipple attached to a shut off valve on the washer line. I can stick
the flexible discharge tubing up in to the washer disposal line but
the feed on the dishwasher is not 5/8" to fit the cpcv line...I do not
know how to jerry-rig this.

Any plumbing supply house, including the borgs, should have all sorts
of reducers and fittings to convert whatever you have to whatever you
need. You might even be able to cut the washer line and replace the
fitting with one that fits your DW.

BTW...I'm still a little confused as to whether a washer is hooked up
to this feed or not. Perhaps a photo or 2 would help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, here's what I've done so far:

--built a simple cabinet for the dishwasher between the refrigerator
and washing machine.

--Thought about reducing the 2 in. washer drainage line down to
accomodate a standard diswasher "tee" but was concerned that this
could cause problems.

--instead, cut the nipple off the tee and drilled a 7/8 inch hole in
the drainpipe about a foot above the floor. Epoxied in the
nipple...and tested, seems tight.

--the feedline is a tiny tube with compression fittings, I have to
get a longer tube but will do so today and will epoxy it inside the
1/2 cpvc tube from the hot water line.

--biggest problem is getting the thing level in an extremely tilted
kitchen floor....our houses are all 1880's vintage .

Thank God for epoxy. I'll still advise the tenant not to use the
washer and dishwasher simultaneously anyway.

Deano in Cincinnati