Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen flooring

Been doing the kitchen over past few months, now on flooring. have
to remove 12-year-old vinolay and Marley-type tiles under that. I
suspect, by the time I have the tiles up, the concrete floor wont
be that smooth. If I decide to put down new vinolay or similar, is
there any sort of base layer I could put down first over the
concrete, to take out the irregularities and perhaps have some
insulation propertiies? I had intended to go for ceramic tiles, but
thought these may be cold, as it is a 1960's non-insulated floor
slab; but with tiles, no problems with small irregularities. (just
getting the bitumen-based adhesive off!)
Any advice much appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"4square" wrote in message
Been doing the kitchen over past few months, now on flooring. have
to remove 12-year-old vinolay and Marley-type tiles under that. I
suspect, by the time I have the tiles up, the concrete floor wont
be that smooth. If I decide to put down new vinolay or similar, is
there any sort of base layer I could put down first over the
concrete, to take out the irregularities and perhaps have some
insulation propertiies? I had intended to go for ceramic tiles, but
thought these may be cold, as it is a 1960's non-insulated floor
slab; but with tiles, no problems with small irregularities. (just
getting the bitumen-based adhesive off!)
Any advice much appreciated.

The main problem with ceramic tiles is that they're utterly unforgiving.
Drop a ceramic or glass item on it (we all do from time to time) and it will
smash, even those items which somehow bounce off vinyl flooring.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 25, 6:53*pm, Owain wrote:
4square wrote:
Been doing the kitchen over past few months, *now on flooring. *have
to remove 12-year-old vinolay and Marley-type tiles under that. *I
suspect, *by the time I have the tiles up, * the concrete floor wont
be that smooth. *If I decide to put down new vinolay or similar, *is
there any sort of base layer I could put down first over the
concrete, *to take out the irregularities and perhaps have some
insulation propertiies? *I had intended to go for ceramic tiles, *but
thought these may be cold, *as it is a 1960's non-insulated floor
slab; *but with tiles, *no problems with small irregularities. *(just
getting the bitumen-based adhesive off!)
Any advice much appreciated.

Cork tiles.

Warm, resilient, quiet.

Owain

Owain, funny you should mention cork, as I have now done three
bathrooms (not in same house) with Westco 4 mm thick cork tiles, a
bit 1970's some would say, but very eco and sustainable really, and
with good insulating properties. But, for a kitchen, would they
need to be more than 4 mm thick, and would they need a base layer
down to glue them to? - I do not know what this should be; in
bathrooms, I used hardboard, well pinned down to wooden floor with
copper nails. In addition, I dont think Westco supply 4 mm thick
cork tiles now, I have seen only 3.2 mm in Homebase recently. I
shall look into this further.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"4square" wrote

Owain, funny you should mention cork, as I have now done three
bathrooms (not in same house) with Westco 4 mm thick cork tiles, a
bit 1970's some would say, but very eco and sustainable really, and
with good insulating properties. But, for a kitchen, would they
need to be more than 4 mm thick, and would they need a base layer
down to glue them to? - I do not know what this should be; in
bathrooms, I used hardboard, well pinned down to wooden floor with
copper nails. In addition, I dont think Westco supply 4 mm thick
cork tiles now, I have seen only 3.2 mm in Homebase recently. I
shall look into this further.

Are these well sealed and washable?
Otherwise the hygiene angle may make them unsuitable!

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"4square" wrote

Owain, funny you should mention cork, as I have now done three
bathrooms (not in same house) with Westco 4 mm thick cork tiles, a
bit 1970's some would say, but very eco and sustainable really, and
with good insulating properties. But, for a kitchen, would they
need to be more than 4 mm thick, and would they need a base layer
down to glue them to? - I do not know what this should be; in
bathrooms, I used hardboard, well pinned down to wooden floor with
copper nails. In addition, I dont think Westco supply 4 mm thick
cork tiles now, I have seen only 3.2 mm in Homebase recently. I
shall look into this further.

Are these well sealed and washable?
Otherwise the hygiene angle may make them unsuitable!

Why?

I'd agree that they're better if sealed and washable but can't see where
hygiene comes in, unless you eat off the floor.

Mary