Posted to uk.d-i-y
4square 4square is offline

Default Kitchen flooring

On Mar 25, 6:53*pm, Owain wrote:
4square wrote:
Been doing the kitchen over past few months, *now on flooring. *have
to remove 12-year-old vinolay and Marley-type tiles under that. *I
suspect, *by the time I have the tiles up, * the concrete floor wont
be that smooth. *If I decide to put down new vinolay or similar, *is
there any sort of base layer I could put down first over the
concrete, *to take out the irregularities and perhaps have some
insulation propertiies? *I had intended to go for ceramic tiles, *but
thought these may be cold, *as it is a 1960's non-insulated floor
slab; *but with tiles, *no problems with small irregularities. *(just
getting the bitumen-based adhesive off!)
Any advice much appreciated.

Cork tiles.

Warm, resilient, quiet.

Owain

Owain, funny you should mention cork, as I have now done three
bathrooms (not in same house) with Westco 4 mm thick cork tiles, a
bit 1970's some would say, but very eco and sustainable really, and
with good insulating properties. But, for a kitchen, would they
need to be more than 4 mm thick, and would they need a base layer
down to glue them to? - I do not know what this should be; in
bathrooms, I used hardboard, well pinned down to wooden floor with
copper nails. In addition, I dont think Westco supply 4 mm thick
cork tiles now, I have seen only 3.2 mm in Homebase recently. I
shall look into this further.