Default Kitchen Flooring

Hi,

I've just ordered my new kitchen and its due to arrive in a couple of
weeks. I'm going to be fitting it myself (with the exception of the
worktop) which should be fun.... The wife is going to love me in 6
weeks when we have a half finsihed, lob-sided kitchen but anyway, I
digress...

The question I have is about flooring. I'm still not decided for sure
but I'm thinking about a tiled floor. I've installed floor tiles before
so no probs there. Gut instinct tells me to rip out everything and fit
the floor over the entire floor, much of which will be covered by
units. The lazy side of me is thinking of fitting the units first
without the plinths, then installing the tiles so that they go under
the units by an inch or so then putting the plinths on so it appears
that the tiles go all the way to the back.

Any potential problems with fitting the units first and floor tiles
later? It will save me a lot of hassle and will mean the kitchen is out
of use for less time if I can.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
The question I have is about flooring. I'm still not decided for sure
but I'm thinking about a tiled floor. I've installed floor tiles before
so no probs there. Gut instinct tells me to rip out everything and fit
the floor over the entire floor, much of which will be covered by
units. The lazy side of me is thinking of fitting the units first
without the plinths, then installing the tiles so that they go under
the units by an inch or so then putting the plinths on so it appears
that the tiles go all the way to the back.

Problem with that is removing any appliances - you'll have a step. I
suppose you could fill the bits not tiled with hardboard, etc, to bring it
to the right height, but personally I'd start with a nice even floor
throughout.

Any potential problems with fitting the units first and floor tiles
later? It will save me a lot of hassle and will mean the kitchen is out
of use for less time if I can.

However you decide to do it, remember to take into account the thickness
of the tiles and and mortar, etc.

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On 5 Jul 2005 09:49:19 -0700, wrote:

[...]

It's entirely reasonable to do this and you will save cost on tiles.

Where appliances fit, you can cut appropriate thicknesses of ply to
make up the depth to allow sliding in and out, or simply tile where
the appliances go.

You can then tile underneath the kitchen furniture a little way and
rip the plinth boards down slightly.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Christian McArdle

Any potential problems with fitting the units first and floor tiles
later? It will save me a lot of hassle and will mean the kitchen is out
of use for less time if I can.

Well, it is definitely cheaper to tile up to the units, rather than under
them. It makes it less adaptable if you decide to change the layout later,
though.

I only tiled up to the units.

Christian.

Thanks for your replies guys, just what I wanted to hear