maxinemovies

Default laminate flooring okay in kitchen?

Our new manufactured home will be built in a couple of months and
we've decided not to bother with their carpeting and instead have
laminate floors put in everywhere except the utility room and the two
bathrooms. We'll have it done by a local flooring place. We'll buy the
flooring from them and have them install it.

Because it's large, and open to the great room and dining room, and
because it looks so good, I want laminate in the kitchen, too, but my
husband thinks kitchens have to have linoleum. I've pretty much
convinced him to go with the laminate floors but I thought I'd ask
here to be sure I haven't talked him into something we'll regret
later.

What do you all think?

TIA

Maxi

Email addy upon request.
Tom Lachance

maxinemovies wrote:
Our new manufactured home will be built in a couple of months and
we've decided not to bother with their carpeting and instead have
laminate floors put in everywhere except the utility room and the two
bathrooms. We'll have it done by a local flooring place. We'll buy the
flooring from them and have them install it.

Because it's large, and open to the great room and dining room, and
because it looks so good, I want laminate in the kitchen, too, but my
husband thinks kitchens have to have linoleum. I've pretty much
convinced him to go with the laminate floors but I thought I'd ask
here to be sure I haven't talked him into something we'll regret
later.

What do you all think?

TIA

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

Just replaced the lino in my kitchen with an engineered wood. Got some
little accent rugs in front of the fridge, sink, dw, and range. Also got
pads under the legs of furniture. The biggest problem would be dropped
objects, jars, glasses, etc... My type of floor also addressed standing
water on such a floor.
twfsa

I replaced the vinyl linoleum in my kitchen with laminate, it shows allot of
dirt, especially if you have a dog and they shed, you can spot a hair on the
floor instantly. If you get a spot of water on the floor and it dry's then
you have a hard water spot to remove.

I think its easier to maintain a vinyl floor, you can use a wet mop to clean
it as with laminate its advises not to get any water on the floor. I will go
vinyl next time.Maybe I am to picky?

Tom

"maxinemovies" email on wrote in message
Our new manufactured home will be built in a couple of months and
we've decided not to bother with their carpeting and instead have
laminate floors put in everywhere except the utility room and the two
bathrooms. We'll have it done by a local flooring place. We'll buy the
flooring from them and have them install it.

Because it's large, and open to the great room and dining room, and
because it looks so good, I want laminate in the kitchen, too, but my
husband thinks kitchens have to have linoleum. I've pretty much
convinced him to go with the laminate floors but I thought I'd ask
here to be sure I haven't talked him into something we'll regret
later.

What do you all think?

TIA

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

cm

Tom,

We found just the oposite to be true? I wonder how much the color of the
floor covering has to do with it? We had very light color vinyl and medium
oak laminate. Our dogs don't shed and we aren't that picky, but our vinyl
showed everything. I have even installed the laminate in some of the travel
trailers we restore.

We have had laminate on our kitchen floor for over 6 years with no problems.

Have fun,

AZCRAIG

www.azcraig.us

"twfsa" wrote in message
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"twfsa" wrote in message

I think its easier to maintain a vinyl floor, you can use a wet mop to
clean it as with laminate its advises not to get any water on the floor. I
will go vinyl next time.Maybe I am to picky?

By not getting water onthe floor, they mean spills that can seep into the
cracks between planks. The material is no different than what is used on
Formica type counter tops so wetting a sponge mop or Swiffer type mop is not
a big deal. I use a spray bottle for my Mannington engineered wood floors
and a damp mop.

Mikey S.

I did my kitchen recently in laminate ( Pergo Cottage Golden Oak) and I am
very happy with it, it's tough and easy to clean, and looks very very nice.
It does show dust and pet hair more than some linoleum would though, but
it'sso easy to just damp mop it and clean that up in 2 minutes that it's not
a chore to clean it often.
I would use it again, and in fact I am going to be putting it in my half
bath on Sunday, and possibly my den when I renovate that room too.

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

"maxinemovies" email on wrote in message
Our new manufactured home will be built in a couple of months and
we've decided not to bother with their carpeting and instead have
laminate floors put in everywhere except the utility room and the two
bathrooms. We'll have it done by a local flooring place. We'll buy the
flooring from them and have them install it.

Because it's large, and open to the great room and dining room, and
because it looks so good, I want laminate in the kitchen, too, but my
husband thinks kitchens have to have linoleum. I've pretty much
convinced him to go with the laminate floors but I thought I'd ask
here to be sure I haven't talked him into something we'll regret
later.

What do you all think?

TIA

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

Kiwanda

My first choice would be hardwood-- our last house (c.1945) had oak
in the kitchen and it was great. When we bought this house (c.1958
construction) there was vinyl in the kitchen, which looked like crap
and I hate on principal. [side rant he 99% of the people who say
"linoleum" really mean "vinyl." Real linoleum is great, but costs
more than hardwood to install, at least in my area. Vinyl is toxic to
produce, offgasses toxins throughout its lifespan, and looks cheap.]

Anyway. We tore out the vinyl and installed an inexpensive laminate
(a Uniboard product from Canada, about $1.50/sq ft) two years ago. It
looks and performs fine, my only complaint is that we've had a couple
of chips on the seams. We've had the same product in two other rooms
longer and it's holding up well.

The one piece of advice I'd give is to seal the ends of the planks
with glue near the sink, where water is more likely to spill. We've
had no problems with surface water, but I expect a big spill near the
edge of the floor would get to the ends if they weren't sealed.

Finally, as someone who's installed about 1,200 feet of this stuff in
my home, I actually prefered the glue-type flooring to the snap
together stuff. It's easier to install and creates a better joint, at
least in my experience.

-Derek

We had Pergo in our 96 built home. Loved it. We moved to a 92 built
home that has lino. Don't like it. It has grooves that are full of
gunk; no way to really clean it. I'm still torn over real wood vs
engineered. Engineered seems to have so many benefits including DIY
install that would appear to be quite easy. Any comments? I'd
personally think of using the snap together stuff, but in the kitchen
and (if) baths, go ahead and run a bead of glue along the joint. I'm
still not convinced of using an engineered wood in the baths. We have
carpet (uuuugh), have planned tile, but now am flirting w/ an
engineered product.

We dont wear shoes inside and as for the dirt being visible, I'd
rather see it and get rid of it, and not know it's there.
Art

I had Mannington laminate installed in 2 baths at my parents townhome over a
year ago. So far no problems with water damage and I know they are not
careful at their age. They might intend to be careful but at age 89/79 how
much can you really see when it comes to splashes of water on the floor. It
is the click type. Mannington says it is more water resistent than the glue
type.

wrote in message
We had Pergo in our 96 built home. Loved it. We moved to a 92 built
home that has lino. Don't like it. It has grooves that are full of
gunk; no way to really clean it. I'm still torn over real wood vs
engineered. Engineered seems to have so many benefits including DIY
install that would appear to be quite easy. Any comments? I'd
personally think of using the snap together stuff, but in the kitchen
and (if) baths, go ahead and run a bead of glue along the joint. I'm
still not convinced of using an engineered wood in the baths. We have
carpet (uuuugh), have planned tile, but now am flirting w/ an
engineered product.

We dont wear shoes inside and as for the dirt being visible, I'd
rather see it and get rid of it, and not know it's there.

Peter H

maxinemovies wrote:
Our new manufactured home will be built in a couple of months and
we've decided not to bother with their carpeting and instead have
laminate floors put in everywhere except the utility room and the two
bathrooms. We'll have it done by a local flooring place. We'll buy the
flooring from them and have them install it.

Because it's large, and open to the great room and dining room, and
because it looks so good, I want laminate in the kitchen, too, but my
husband thinks kitchens have to have linoleum. I've pretty much
convinced him to go with the laminate floors but I thought I'd ask
here to be sure I haven't talked him into something we'll regret
later.

What do you all think?

TIA

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

I've got laminate in my kitchen; but I replaced the dishwasher with a
new one at the same time and caulked around the entire edge of the
kitchen. I've read that if you have a flood it can work it's way right
under the whole floor and ruin it.

Peter H

maxinemovies

Thanks, everyone. We'll go with laminate. It's going to look terrific.

Maxi

Email addy upon request.
John Gregory

You didn't like carpeting in the bathrooms? I'm planning to carpet all
three. Only concern is the need for males to be accurate as they stand
before the toilet... or sit. Fortunately, there's only me in the house. I
prefer the soft cushion of the carpet. Was considering a laminate in the
kitchen and after reading this thread, think I'll proceed. Only concern is
finding something that will look nice as it butts up against the parquet
foyer.

wrote in message
We had Pergo in our 96 built home. Loved it. We moved to a 92 built
home that has lino. Don't like it. It has grooves that are full of
gunk; no way to really clean it. I'm still torn over real wood vs
engineered. Engineered seems to have so many benefits including DIY
install that would appear to be quite easy. Any comments? I'd
personally think of using the snap together stuff, but in the kitchen
and (if) baths, go ahead and run a bead of glue along the joint. I'm
still not convinced of using an engineered wood in the baths. We have
carpet (uuuugh), have planned tile, but now am flirting w/ an
engineered product.

We dont wear shoes inside and as for the dirt being visible, I'd
rather see it and get rid of it, and not know it's there.

JerryMouse

maxinemovies wrote:
Our new manufactured home will be built in a couple of months and
we've decided not to bother with their carpeting and instead have
laminate floors put in everywhere except the utility room and the two
bathrooms. We'll have it done by a local flooring place. We'll buy the
flooring from them and have them install it.

Because it's large, and open to the great room and dining room, and
because it looks so good, I want laminate in the kitchen, too, but my
husband thinks kitchens have to have linoleum. I've pretty much
convinced him to go with the laminate floors but I thought I'd ask
here to be sure I haven't talked him into something we'll regret
later.

What do you all think?

Go with the laminate. If it doesn't work out - stains, too much wear,
whatever - you can lay linoleum on top for about twelve dollars.

Steve B.

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:41:35 -0700,
wrote:

We had Pergo in our 96 built home. Loved it. We moved to a 92 built
home that has lino. Don't like it. It has grooves that are full of
gunk; no way to really clean it. I'm still torn over real wood vs
engineered. Engineered seems to have so many benefits including DIY
install that would appear to be quite easy. Any comments? I'd
personally think of using the snap together stuff, but in the kitchen
and (if) baths, go ahead and run a bead of glue along the joint. I'm
still not convinced of using an engineered wood in the baths. We have
carpet (uuuugh), have planned tile, but now am flirting w/ an
engineered product.

We dont wear shoes inside and as for the dirt being visible, I'd
rather see it and get rid of it, and not know it's there

You can get the engineered stuff with real wood veneer on it. Some
are thick enough to be refinished several times and look quite nice
while maintaining the ease of installation and durability of the
engineered product.

Also there are several new click together tile systems now. Basically
the same thing as the floors only a different shape and a tile veneer
on the top instead of wood. It sounds really cheesey but I was at a
customers house the other day and had to bend over and rub the floor
myself to be convinced it wasn't real tile with grout lines. It
looked 100% real and she was very happy with how easy it was to clean
up compared to the real tile elsewhere in the home.

Steve B.