David Oneill

Default A question of Laminate flooring in a kitchen

I am about to replace all my kitchen units with new ones and put
laminate flooring down.

Question
Do I put the Laminate flooring down first and the Kitchen units on top
of the flooring, or do I fit the kitchen and then fit the flooring up to
the units.

I was going to adopt the latter and just fit the flooring up to the edge
of the base units and cover the edge of the flooring with the base unit
plinths.
However, I have been told that as I will be installing built under
fridge, freezer and dishwasher it would be better to have the units on
top of the flooring otherwise there will be a lip in front of the
appliances and make it very difficult to pull these out if they need to
be repaired or serviced.

Any suggestions / recommendations?

Many thanks
David.

Stefek Zaba

David Oneill wrote:

However, I have been told that as I will be installing built under
fridge, freezer and dishwasher it would be better to have the units on
top of the flooring otherwise there will be a lip in front of the
appliances and make it very difficult to pull these out if they need to
be repaired or serviced.

You've been told right. If cost is a particular issue, you could
laminate for the first 10cm or so into each appliance hole, and build up
to laminate level with hardboard or similar for the rest of the depth;
but laying wall-to-wall laminate will give you more flexibility in
modifying the kitchen layout in future.

Stefek
Tony Bryer

In article
gate.org, David
Oneill wrote:
Do I put the Laminate flooring down first and the Kitchen units
on top of the flooring, or do I fit the kitchen and then fit the
flooring up to the units.

I was going to adopt the latter and just fit the flooring up to
the edge of the base units and cover the edge of the flooring
with the base unit plinths.

This came up a week or two back. IMO the best way is to fit the
units first then run the laminate under them before fitting the
plinths. If the units have adjustable feet then jack them up a
little higher to allow for the laminate thickness. I'd suggest
extending the laminate several inches under the unit (cutting round
the feet so it can move) so that if there are spills or an excess of
water is used to mop the floor it doesn't run under the plinth and
immediately onto the laminate edge.

Pete C

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:42:19 +0000 (UTC), "David Oneill"
wrote:

I am about to replace all my kitchen units with new ones and put
laminate flooring down.

Question
Do I put the Laminate flooring down first and the Kitchen units on top
of the flooring, or do I fit the kitchen and then fit the flooring up to
the units.

I was going to adopt the latter and just fit the flooring up to the edge
of the base units and cover the edge of the flooring with the base unit
plinths.
However, I have been told that as I will be installing built under
fridge, freezer and dishwasher it would be better to have the units on
top of the flooring otherwise there will be a lip in front of the
appliances and make it very difficult to pull these out if they need to
be repaired or serviced.

Any suggestions / recommendations?

Hi,

Will the flooring run parallel to the units or at right angles?

cheers,
Pete.