Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Jif Replacement

I have just finished my last drop of Jif (kept for when that extra bit of
cleaning was required!)

Is there anything on the market that really gets through grease and grime?
I have a cupboard full of useless cleaning materials including Cif.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pinot Grigio" someone@somewhere wrote in message
I have just finished my last drop of Jif (kept for when that extra bit of
cleaning was required!)

Is there anything on the market that really gets through grease and grime?
I have a cupboard full of useless cleaning materials including Cif.

You taking the mick?

Cif is Jif.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2008 17:41, Pinot Grigio wrote:

I have just finished my last drop of Jif (kept for when that extra bit of
cleaning was required!)

Is there anything on the market that really gets through grease and grime?
I have a cupboard full of useless cleaning materials including Cif.

Can you still get "Gumption"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pinot Grigio" someone@somewhere wrote in message
I have just finished my last drop of Jif (kept for when that extra bit of
cleaning was required!)

Is there anything on the market that really gets through grease and grime?
I have a cupboard full of useless cleaning materials including Cif.

Have you tried an angle grinder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Icky Thwacket" wrote in message

"Pinot Grigio" someone@somewhere wrote in message
I have just finished my last drop of Jif (kept for when that extra bit of
cleaning was required!)

Is there anything on the market that really gets through grease and

grime?
I have a cupboard full of useless cleaning materials including Cif.

Have you tried an angle grinder?

Don't be silly...his wife is not allowed near the sink.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have just finished my last drop of Jif (kept for when that extra bit of
cleaning was required!)

Is there anything on the market that really gets through grease and
grime?
I have a cupboard full of useless cleaning materials including Cif.

You taking the mick?

Cif is Jif.

Cif is supposed to be the same but it does not clean as well as the old Jif.
It is more creamy and runny than the old stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pinot Grigio" someone@somewhere wrote in message
I have just finished my last drop of Jif (kept for when that extra bit

of
cleaning was required!)

Is there anything on the market that really gets through grease and
grime?
I have a cupboard full of useless cleaning materials including Cif.

You taking the mick?

Cif is Jif.

Cif is supposed to be the same but it does not clean as well as the old

Jif.
It is more creamy and runny than the old stuff.

As far as I know only the name changed,twas something they found out about
Jif? and wasn't good for the brand?

Have you shaken it to make sure its contents are mixed well? some times
these cleaners are on the shelves for ages?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cif is supposed to be the same but it does not clean as well as the old
Jif.
It is more creamy and runny than the old stuff.

As far as I know only the name changed,twas something they found out about
Jif? and wasn't good for the brand?

Have you shaken it to make sure its contents are mixed well? some times
these cleaners are on the shelves for ages?

Yep, I always give bottles a good shake. I bought Cif soon after the name
change but it just wouldn't clean off those grease spots. I managed to buy
some Jif before it disappeared and it did the trick. Could I have bought a
duff Cif?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

George wrote:
"Pinot Grigio" someone@somewhere wrote in message
I have just finished my last drop of Jif (kept for when that extra bit

of
cleaning was required!)

Is there anything on the market that really gets through grease and
grime?
I have a cupboard full of useless cleaning materials including Cif.

You taking the mick?

Cif is Jif.

Cif is supposed to be the same but it does not clean as well as the old

Jif.
It is more creamy and runny than the old stuff.

As far as I know only the name changed,twas something they found out about
Jif? and wasn't good for the brand?

As I heard it, the name Cif (used in Europe) was deemed unacceptable for
us due to the similarity to syphilis. Not sure what made them change
their minds.
--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:54:32 UTC, "George"
wrote:

As far as I know only the name changed,twas something they found out about
Jif? and wasn't good for the brand?

Languages where there is no J in the alphabet?

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As far as I know only the name changed,twas something they found out

about
Jif? and wasn't good for the brand?

Languages where there is no J in the alphabet?

http://www.diybanter.com

Nah I think it was because of this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jif_(lemon_juice)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As far as I know only the name changed,twas something they found out

about
Jif? and wasn't good for the brand?

Languages where there is no J in the alphabet?

Nah I think it was because of this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jif_(lemon_juice)

Sorry, but I don't see an obvious explanation there about why the name
went from Jif to Cif.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As far as I know only the name changed,twas something they found out

about
Jif? and wasn't good for the brand?

Languages where there is no J in the alphabet?

Nah I think it was because of this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jif_(lemon_juice)

Sorry, but I don't see an obvious explanation there about why the name
went from Jif to Cif.

I should have said...the two co-existed for many years under the same
name...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pinot Grigio wrote:

I have just finished my last drop of Jif (kept for when that extra bit of
cleaning was required!)

Is there anything on the market that really gets through grease and grime?
I have a cupboard full of useless cleaning materials including Cif.

Ha! Have just got back from the weekly shop armed with a "Cream
Cleanser" - the same as Jif. The reason was the same as yours: a
cupboard full of "useless cleaning materials". Or, rather, I should
say, too-specific cleaning materials. Take "Cillit Bang", for example.
The lying toads say in that amazing commercial on TV that it possesses
the most incredible power to clean anything anywhere. I have found it
only good for removing limescale. When it comes to cleaning the top of
the oven hob it will remove the deposit left where water has boiled over
& evaporated, leaving a limescale deposit - our water here is quite
alkaline. But it won't remove the grease and fat! A cream cleanser,
like Jif or some other brand, PLUS a bit of elbow grease, will easily
remove the whole bloody lot!

I can't think of anything better than cream cleanser. I just wish it
didn't produce this white creamy froth that takes a great deal of
rinsing away!

Eddy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:50:57 GMT, Eddy wrote:

I just wish it didn't produce this white creamy froth that takes a great
deal of rinsing away!

Leave it to dry and polish off.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:41:05 -0000
"Pinot Grigio" someone@somewhere wrote:

I have just finished my last drop of Jif (kept for when that extra bit of
cleaning was required!)

Is there anything on the market that really gets through grease and grime?
I have a cupboard full of useless cleaning materials including Cif.

I've been looking for MARATHON bars to ages too. I refuse to eat
anything with a name that rhymes with ladies underwear.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddy wrote:
Pinot Grigio wrote:

[...]

You do know that there are two types of Cillit Bang? Grime & lime which is
acid based and Power Cleaner Degreaser which is Alkali - and very good IMO.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

But it won't remove the grease and fat! A cream cleanser,
like Jif or some other brand, PLUS a bit of elbow grease, will easily
remove the whole bloody lot!

Abrasive creams can dull shiny polished surfaces.

I can't think of anything better than cream cleanser. I just wish it
didn't produce this white creamy froth that takes a great deal of
rinsing away!

This stuff is better. It shifts all grease in seconds up to the point
where it is verging on being like burnt on oven grease. It leaves
those behind as small pinhead sized islands which need another
treatment.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!21378

This is available from most cleaning suppliers but Lakeland are about
the cheapest. Note that the 500ml bottle for £3.99 is 5x concentrated.

I don't know if the trigger spray bottle comes with it, looks like it
does but they don't actually say.

It is even better / faster acting than my erstwhile favourite "Aerosol
Label Remover" "Electrolube LRM" containing d- Limonene, which makes
it smell of oranges.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As far as I know only the name changed,twas something they found out
about Jif? and wasn't good for the brand?

Languages where there is no J in the alphabet?

ISTR that it was because J is difficult for Spanish speakers to pronounce?
Spanish is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world after all.

Hif?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

wrote:

As far as I know only the name changed,twas something they found out about
Jif? and wasn't good for the brand?

Languages where there is no J in the alphabet?

Welsh?

Why are half of the Welsh called Jones then???

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:41:05 -0000
"Pinot Grigio" someone@somewhere wrote:

I have just finished my last drop of Jif (kept for when that extra bit of
cleaning was required!)

Is there anything on the market that really gets through grease and
grime?
I have a cupboard full of useless cleaning materials including Cif.

I've been looking for MARATHON bars to ages too. I refuse to eat
anything with a name that rhymes with ladies underwear.

I've NEVER seen a Russet bar or a Wong bar!! Where do you buy your
sweeties??

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pinot Grigio" someone@somewhere wrote in message
I have just finished my last drop of Jif (kept for when that extra bit of
cleaning was required!)

Is there anything on the market that really gets through grease and grime?
I have a cupboard full of useless cleaning materials including Cif.

Buy Cif, remove cap, add a tablespoon of grout, replace cap, shake, job
done!!

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

As far as I know only the name changed,twas something they found out
about Jif? and wasn't good for the brand?

Languages where there is no J in the alphabet?

ISTR that it was because J is difficult for Spanish speakers to pronounce?
Spanish is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world after all.

Hif?

Have a glass of Jerez? Or is that too dif?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This stuff is better. It shifts all grease in seconds up to the point
where it is verging on being like burnt on oven grease. It leaves
those behind as small pinhead sized islands which need another
treatment.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!21378

This is available from most cleaning suppliers but Lakeland are about
the cheapest. Note that the 500ml bottle for £3.99 is 5x concentrated.

I don't know if the trigger spray bottle comes with it, looks like it
does but they don't actually say.

It is even better / faster acting than my erstwhile favourite "Aerosol
Label Remover" "Electrolube LRM" containing d- Limonene, which makes
it smell of oranges.

DG

Thanks. I will give it a try.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
You do know that there are two types of Cillit Bang? Grime & lime which is
acid based and Power Cleaner Degreaser which is Alkali - and very good IMO.

No, I haven't noticed this distinction being made in any of the
advertising, but it's an important one. Must nip downstairs and see
which one it is we have. I guess it must be the Grime & Lime that we
have. Thanks for this, Dave.

Eddy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anne Jackson wrote:

The message from Andy Burns contains
these words:

On 14/03/2008 17:41, Pinot Grigio wrote:

I have just finished my last drop of Jif (kept for when that extra bit of
cleaning was required!)

Is there anything on the market that really gets through grease and
grime?
I have a cupboard full of useless cleaning materials including Cif.

Can you still get "Gumption"?

I think it's now called 'Astonish'?

Hasn't the name just been changed yet again?
Isn't it now known as "Totally Flabbergasted"?

:-)

Eddy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
I just wish it didn't produce this white creamy froth that takes a great
deal of rinsing away!

Leave it to dry and polish off.

Hee, hee, hee. Yes, I seem to remember that leaving it to dry and cake
is a possibility. But how many times could you bear to pass by seeing
this unfinished job sitting on the surfaces before it dries out! It can
be quite thick and I have a weakness for wanting to complete every job
before beginning another!

Eddy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

"John" wrote in message

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:41:05 -0000
"Pinot Grigio" someone@somewhere wrote:

I have just finished my last drop of Jif (kept for when that extra bit

of
cleaning was required!)

Is there anything on the market that really gets through grease and
grime?
I have a cupboard full of useless cleaning materials including Cif.

I've been looking for MARATHON bars to ages too. I refuse to eat
anything with a name that rhymes with ladies underwear.

I've NEVER seen a Russet bar or a Wong bar!! Where do you buy your
sweeties??

Never had a Mars bra?