Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CFL replacement for SES 40W

Has anyone found a good source to replace a 40W SES? I bought a 7W CFL
SES from B&Q but it is too big to fit in our picture lights - too long.

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:06:57 +0000, John wrote:

Has anyone found a good source to replace a 40W SES?

What sort of "SES"? Golfball? Candle?

I located a source (at a local market of all places!) of 5 or 7 Watt
(I can't remember which) CFL smaller than a SES candle.
I'm not impressed with the performance, but it does fit inside the
shade!

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John writes:
In article , Frank Erskine
writes
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:06:57 +0000, John wrote:

Has anyone found a good source to replace a 40W SES?

What sort of "SES"? Golfball? Candle?

I located a source (at a local market of all places!) of 5 or 7 Watt
(I can't remember which) CFL smaller than a SES candle.
I'm not impressed with the performance, but it does fit inside the
shade!

SES Candle

You'll need a 9-11W one to match a 40W bulb.
Use CLFs with exposed tubes no outer glass bulb where
aesthetics allow, as you lose some light in the frosted
glass.

IKEA seems to be a good source of small ones. Other than
IKEA and the main well-known manufacturers, you can find
rather disappointing life from the no-names.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
John writes:
In article , Frank Erskine
writes
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:06:57 +0000, John wrote:

Has anyone found a good source to replace a 40W SES?

What sort of "SES"? Golfball? Candle?

I located a source (at a local market of all places!) of 5 or 7 Watt
(I can't remember which) CFL smaller than a SES candle.
I'm not impressed with the performance, but it does fit inside the
shade!

SES Candle

You'll need a 9-11W one to match a 40W bulb.
Use CLFs with exposed tubes no outer glass bulb where
aesthetics allow, as you lose some light in the frosted
glass.

IKEA seems to be a good source of small ones. Other than
IKEA and the main well-known manufacturers, you can find
rather disappointing life from the no-names.

I have replaced some 40W BC candles with 9W CFLs and they are
comparable.

Thanks for the tip, I will look in IKEA.

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 21:04:14 +0000, John wrote:

I have replaced some 40W BC candles with 9W CFLs and they are
comparable.

Agreed though in our case it was SES 40W candles with CFLs from General
Electric "Tech Extra Mini" 9W, TBX/XM, 480lm and 2700k so a good match to
tungsten colour temperature wise.

They could probably do with replacing, they start rather dim (even for a
CFL) but once up and running are OK. They have been in use for the best
part of 18 hrs day 365 days/year for 4 years or so, call it 25,000hrs...
B&Q have them, they aren't the cheapest at around a fiver a bubble but
will £1 Ikea cheapy last 5,000hrs?

--
Cheers
Dave.