Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing small things

I spend a lot of time fixing things to walls, curtain poles, blinds,
mirrors, pictures etc. I carry a pretty comprehensive range of fixings &
screws on the van - the fixings & screws supplied with the item invariably
go straight in the bin.

Fixing large items isn't a problem, its small stuff that causes the agro,
the cleats supplied with binds for example - this sort of thing;
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/86762/...20HOOK-_-86762

These are 75mm, but the ones supplied with the blinds are smaller. Problem
is you are drilling two holes in the wall very close to each other. In
plasterboard they are inclined to join together & in masonry they often
crumble. Fixing with one sound & tight screw leaves the cleat able to
swivel & the client perceives it as 'not done properly'.

Best solution I've come up with is yellow plugs, 5mm drill & number 6
screws. No good for plasterboard of course & I can't find smaller
plasterboard fixings.

Any ideas?

I've found this Fischer Wet'N'Fix product which seems like the answer.

Anyone used it?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
I spend a lot of time fixing things to walls, curtain poles, blinds,
mirrors, pictures etc. I carry a pretty comprehensive range of fixings &
screws on the van - the fixings & screws supplied with the item invariably
go straight in the bin.

Fixing large items isn't a problem, its small stuff that causes the agro,
the cleats supplied with binds for example - this sort of thing;

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/86762/...gs/Cleat-Hooks
/Cleat-Hook-Chrome-75mm-Pk-10?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-CLEAT%20HOOK-_-86762

These are 75mm, but the ones supplied with the blinds are smaller.

Problem
is you are drilling two holes in the wall very close to each other. In
plasterboard they are inclined to join together & in masonry they often
crumble. Fixing with one sound & tight screw leaves the cleat able to
swivel & the client perceives it as 'not done properly'.

Best solution I've come up with is yellow plugs, 5mm drill & number 6
screws. No good for plasterboard of course & I can't find smaller
plasterboard fixings.

Any ideas?

I've found this Fischer Wet'N'Fix product which seems like the answer.

Anyone used it?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

A piece of 2x1x1/4? wood drilled and fixed to wall and wood stained looks
good.
Then you just screw the cleat to the wood.
You'll have to make a few up in your spare time though for future jobs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Dave

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:45:47 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

[...]

For little things like that you could always use 'proper' screws to
fix a small piece of ply to the wall (maybe sand / smooth the edges
and even paint if you;re feeling really 'posh') - and then screw the
fittting to the wood.

If you went that direction - you could even have a bag-full of these
on the van....

Following on from that idea - why not Gripfix them to the wall. If
it's only for light loads then it should be fine....

I've found this Fischer Wet'N'Fix product which seems like the answer.

Anyone used it?

Nope !

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
[...]

Not a bad idea that, I have some off cuts of hardwood I could use to make up
some. Cheers.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

A piece of 2x1x1/4? wood drilled and fixed to wall and wood stained
looks good.
Then you just screw the cleat to the wood.
You'll have to make a few up in your spare time though for future
jobs.

Not a bad idea that, I have some off cuts of hardwood I could use to make

up
some. Cheers.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Chamfer the edges and it'll look real pleasing to the customer.

Make sure you hide the wood securing screws if and when possible?

ps its what the Victorian handymen done in times gone by. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Try using standard PB fixings and putting the yellow plug inside as a
sleeve take the no.6 screw. Has worked on occasions for me
Fix and tighten one side and use the other hole in the hardware as a
guide for the drill with a 3mm bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/86762/...ittings/Cleat-

Hooks/Cleat-Hook-Chrome-75mm-Pk-10?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-CLEAT%20HOOK-
_-86762

These are 75mm, but the ones supplied with the blinds are smaller.
Problem is you are drilling two holes in the wall very close to each
other. In plasterboard they are inclined to join together & in masonry
they often crumble. Fixing with one sound & tight screw leaves the
cleat able to swivel & the client perceives it as 'not done properly'.

Best solution I've come up with is yellow plugs, 5mm drill & number 6
screws. No good for plasterboard of course & I can't find smaller
plasterboard fixings.

Any ideas?

I've found this Fischer Wet'N'Fix product which seems like the answer.

Anyone used it?

Fixone properly and just put something in the other hold to stop the
cleat turning?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2008 22:21, Skipweasel wrote:

[1] http://www.screwfix.com/prods/44485/Sealants-
Adhesives/Adhesives/Wood-Glues/Polyurethane-Adhesive/Joiners-Mate-
Adhesive-500ml

You don't need that long, wrapped URL, it j^Hworks with
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/44485
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
I spend a lot of time fixing things to walls, curtain poles, blinds,
mirrors, pictures etc. I carry a pretty comprehensive range of fixings &
screws on the van - the fixings & screws supplied with the item invariably
go straight in the bin.

Fixing large items isn't a problem, its small stuff that causes the agro,
the cleats supplied with binds for example - this sort of thing;

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/86762/...20HOOK-_-86762

These are 75mm, but the ones supplied with the blinds are smaller.

Problem
is you are drilling two holes in the wall very close to each other. In
plasterboard they are inclined to join together & in masonry they often
crumble.

Would it help in some circumstances e.g. plasterboard to drill the first
hole, insert plug and screw and then drill the second hole? You won't get
the problem of there being a weak 'side' when you drill the second hole.