Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing small things

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message . ..
I spend a lot of time fixing things to walls, curtain poles, blinds,
mirrors, pictures etc. I carry a pretty comprehensive range of
fixings & screws on the van - the fixings & screws supplied with the
item invariably go straight in the bin.

Fixing large items isn't a problem, its small stuff that causes the
agro, the cleats supplied with binds for example - this sort of
thing;

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/86762/...gs/Cleat-Hooks
/Cleat-Hook-Chrome-75mm-Pk-10?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-CLEAT%20HOOK-_-86762

These are 75mm, but the ones supplied with the blinds are smaller.
Problem is you are drilling two holes in the wall very close to each
other. In plasterboard they are inclined to join together & in
masonry they often crumble. Fixing with one sound & tight screw
leaves the cleat able to swivel & the client perceives it as 'not
done properly'.

Best solution I've come up with is yellow plugs, 5mm drill & number 6
screws. No good for plasterboard of course & I can't find smaller
plasterboard fixings.

Any ideas?

I've found this Fischer Wet'N'Fix product which seems like the
answer.

Anyone used it?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

A piece of 2x1x1/4? wood drilled and fixed to wall and wood stained
looks good.
Then you just screw the cleat to the wood.
You'll have to make a few up in your spare time though for future
jobs.

Not a bad idea that, I have some off cuts of hardwood I could use to make up
some. Cheers.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk