Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default North facing house?

I'm in the market for a new house...went to see one today that was on a hill
facing North. at 3pm the house was in the shade created by the hill, is
this house likely to get any sunlight at all?

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Sandman wrote:

I'm in the market for a new house...went to see one today that was on a hill
facing North. at 3pm the house was in the shade created by the hill, is
this house likely to get any sunlight at all?

Without knowing the area, how do you expect anyone to be able to advise
you? Go along and visit at different times of day then you'll know.

If it's on the North side of the Malvern Hills, the answer is no it will
always be in shadow. The same applies if it is on the south bank of the
rhine near the Lorelei.

If you want a specific answer you will need to give some facts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 17:05:42 -0000 Mr Sandman wrote :
I'm in the market for a new house...went to see one today that was on a hill
facing North. at 3pm the house was in the shade created by the hill, is
this house likely to get any sunlight at all?

It will depend on the time of year. CIBSE Guide for latitude of 50N
gives a solar elevation at 1500hrs of 18 degrees on Feb 21 and 46
degrees on June 21

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
Mr Sandman wrote:

I'm in the market for a new house...went to see one today that was on a
hill
facing North. at 3pm the house was in the shade created by the hill, is
this house likely to get any sunlight at all?

Without knowing the area, how do you expect anyone to be able to advise
you? Go along and visit at different times of day then you'll know.

If it's on the North side of the Malvern Hills, the answer is no it will
always be in shadow. The same applies if it is on the south bank of the
rhine near the Lorelei.

If you want a specific answer you will need to give some facts.

this is the house.. http://tinyurl.com/2o4cv2

Is that any use? what else do you need to know?

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Sandman
writes

What a stupid ****ing question

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Sandman wrote:

I'm in the market for a new house...went to see one today that was on a
hill
facing North. at 3pm the house was in the shade created by the hill, is
this house likely to get any sunlight at all?

Without knowing the area, how do you expect anyone to be able to advise
you? Go along and visit at different times of day then you'll know.

If it's on the North side of the Malvern Hills, the answer is no it will
always be in shadow. The same applies if it is on the south bank of the
rhine near the Lorelei.

If you want a specific answer you will need to give some facts.

this is the house.. http://tinyurl.com/2o4cv2

Is that any use? what else do you need to know?

Steve

If you're really serious, put the image from Google Earth into Google
Sketchup and turn the shadows on. It gives you a pretty good idea how
the light will fall at different times of the day/year.
If the back of the house is south facing, and that's where your kitchen
and garden are located, that's a bonus I would have thought
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Sandman wrote:

[...]

house is at - Lat 53.0766° Long -2.00393°

Back of house is facing north towards the nice view, front of house faces
the steep driveway up the hill immediately in front of it.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message

house is at - Lat 53.0766° Long -2.00393°

Back of house is facing north towards the nice view, front of house faces
the steep driveway up the hill immediately in front of it.

Ah, nicely on the steep north facing slope. However it doesn't appear to be
_that_ steep, so it should be ok. How's the vegetation there?

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 18:03, geoff wrote:
In message , Mr Sandman
writesI'm in the market for a new house...went to see one today that was on a hill
facing North. at 3pm the house was in the shade created by the hill, is
this house likely to get any sunlight at all?

What a stupid ****ing question

--
geoff

Oops, Geoff's having one of his rants again - all duck as the toys
come out the pram.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
robgraham writes
On 10 Feb, 18:03, geoff wrote:
In message , Mr Sandman
writesI'm in the market for a new
house...went to see one today that was on a hill
facing North. at 3pm the house was in the shade created by the hill, is
this house likely to get any sunlight at all?

What a stupid ****ing question

--
geoff

Oops, Geoff's having one of his rants again - all duck as the toys
come out the pram.

No I'm not - It was a stupid question given the fact that the OP gave no
useful information

now ... back in your hole

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Sandman wrote:

this is the house.. http://tinyurl.com/2o4cv2

Is that any use? what else do you need to know?

Probably more than enough. Well, I used to live up that way, so I know
that you'll rarely see the sun anyway since it rains 340 days a year and
for rest of the year it's foggy. The house looks like it's a fair way up
the hill so I guess that the rear of the house will get sun from mid
morning onwards and the front wall will be in shadow until late evening.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Mr Sandman" contains these words:

house is at - Lat 53.0766° Long -2.00393°

Back of house is facing north towards the nice view, front of house faces
the steep driveway up the hill immediately in front of it.

I live on a North facing slope the best part of a degree further North.
I don't think my slope is quite as steep as yours and in winter the sun
doesn't get very far above the skyline. But 3 pm is closer to sunset
than noon and we are only 6 weeks past mid winter. Those trees might
make a difference but I don't think they are high enough up the slope to
obscure the skyline. My skyline at the moment is a field wall. If they
ever build on that field I would certainly lose my winter sunshine.

Be a bit different in mid summer. Apart from anything else the sun will
rise in the NE and set in the NW and, weather permitting, you should see
it from sunrise to sunset.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 19:31, geoff wrote:
In message
,
robgraham writes

On 10 Feb, 18:03, geoff wrote:
In message , Mr Sandman
writesI'm in the market for a new
house...went to see one today that was on a hill
facing North. at 3pm the house was in the shade created by the hill, is
this house likely to get any sunlight at all?

What a stupid ****ing question

--
geoff

Oops, Geoff's having one of his rants again - all duck as the toys
come out the pram.

No I'm not - It was a stupid question given the fact that the OP gave no
useful information

now ... back in your hole

--
geoff

And have you helped him by telling what information might be useful?
We're a 'help -everyone' group here and being rude to someone who has
come for help and needs some guidance, doesn't do the rest of us any
good whatsoever - and being rude to me doesn't get you any brownie
points either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
robgraham writes
On 10 Feb, 19:31, geoff wrote:
In message
,
robgraham writes

On 10 Feb, 18:03, geoff wrote:
[...]

was a idiot post

I treated it as such

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , geoff
writes
In message
,
robgraham writes
On 10 Feb, 19:31, geoff wrote:
In message
,
robgraham writes

On 10 Feb, 18:03, geoff wrote:
[...]

That's as may be but your response was unnecessary IMHO.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred writes
In article , geoff
writes
In message
,
robgraham writes
On 10 Feb, 19:31, geoff wrote:
In message
,
robgraham writes

On 10 Feb, 18:03, geoff wrote:
[...]

It was a ****wit post and I stand by my original comment

I'm not in a fluffy mood tonight

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , fred writes
In article , geoff
writes
In message
,
robgraham writes
On 10 Feb, 19:31, geoff wrote:
In message
,
robgraham writes

On 10 Feb, 18:03, geoff wrote:
[...]

*plonk* ...appropriate for a plonker.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Roger,

thanks for your useful post. My current house is pretty much square with
clear views all round, so have not really had any problems with sunlight.
But its worth considering when purchasing a new house... I'm also looking at
a south facing house on a hill...the slope behind the house is much less
steep too, so i presume this will be a step closer to ideal.

Cheers

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , geoff
writes

I'm not in a fluffy mood tonight

Then how about staying off usenet when you're in that kind of mood.

I doubt you'd walk into a dodgy pub and start talking to strangers like
that so why do it here?
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , fred writes
In article , geoff
writes
In message
,
robgraham writes
On 10 Feb, 19:31, geoff wrote:
In message
,
robgraham writes

On 10 Feb, 18:03, geoff wrote:
[...]

I don't think the OP is the only one that has no idea where the sun is
at any given time. It's only when it affects you that you start to think
about it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 17:05, "Mr Sandman"
wrote:
I'm in the market for a new house...went to see one today that was on a hill
facing North. at 3pm the house was in the shade created by the hill, is
this house likely to get any sunlight at all?

Steve

What's the problem with this question ?
It's obvious the OP doesn't think he will be living in an arctic
winter with no daylight !
The answer is, you may always be in shadow in a winter sun, when the
sun is very low in the sky (depending on angle and height of hill). In
the summer, when the sun is very high, you would have to be living
next to a vertical cliff to have any chance of being in permanent
shadow.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 17:45:45 -0000, "Mr Sandman"
wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
Mr Sandman wrote:

I'm in the market for a new house...went to see one today that was on a
hill
facing North. at 3pm the house was in the shade created by the hill, is
this house likely to get any sunlight at all?

Without knowing the area, how do you expect anyone to be able to advise
you? Go along and visit at different times of day then you'll know.

If it's on the North side of the Malvern Hills, the answer is no it will
always be in shadow. The same applies if it is on the south bank of the
rhine near the Lorelei.

If you want a specific answer you will need to give some facts.

this is the house.. http://tinyurl.com/2o4cv2

Is that any use? what else do you need to know?

Steve

I assume that you know about the nuclear waste dump?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Sandman wrote:

I'm in the market for a new house...went to see one today that was on a
hill
facing North. at 3pm the house was in the shade created by the hill, is
this house likely to get any sunlight at all?
Without knowing the area, how do you expect anyone to be able to advise
you? Go along and visit at different times of day then you'll know.

If it's on the North side of the Malvern Hills, the answer is no it will
always be in shadow. The same applies if it is on the south bank of the
rhine near the Lorelei.

If you want a specific answer you will need to give some facts.

this is the house.. http://tinyurl.com/2o4cv2

Is that any use? what else do you need to know?

Steve

I assume that you know about the nuclear waste dump?

Very drole...

I found it in the map. What a fabulous location apart from being on the
north side of that little hill.

You will certainly get summer sun, but the gardening side of things will
always be colder and later, and your heating bills will be a shade higher.

How much that matters to you is only something you can answer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

I don't think the OP is the only one that has no idea where the sun is
at any given time. It's only when it affects you that you start to think
about it

Huh? I am always aware of where the sun is..

I remember the MOST disquieting thing about S Africa being the sun
'going backwards'..through the NORTH.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , geoff
writes
In message , fred writes
In article , geoff
writes

I'm not in a fluffy mood tonight

Then how about staying off usenet when you're in that kind of mood.

I doubt you'd walk into a dodgy pub and start talking to strangers like
that so why do it here?

Look the eejit posted like a ****wit

maybe next time he'll think first

Ah, unrepentant I see.

Remember that 'So I'm offensive' thread you started in December, try
starting it again tonight and see if you get the same vote of
confidence.

Personally I've no wish to see this group become dominated by sharp
tongued bullies.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Sandman
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , fred writes
In article , geoff
writes
In message
,
robgraham writes
On 10 Feb, 19:31, geoff wrote:
In message
,
robgraham writes

The original clueless ****wit - no loss there, then

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred writes
In article , geoff
writes
In message , fred writes
In article , geoff
writes

I'm not in a fluffy mood tonight

Then how about staying off usenet when you're in that kind of mood.

I doubt you'd walk into a dodgy pub and start talking to strangers like
that so why do it here?

Look the eejit posted like a ****wit

maybe next time he'll think first

Ah, unrepentant I see.

unrepentant ?

oh do **** off

Remember that 'So I'm offensive' thread you started in December, try
starting it again tonight and see if you get the same vote of
confidence.

Personally I've no wish to see this group become dominated by sharp
tongued bullies.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , geoff
writes
In message , fred writes
In article , geoff
writes
In message , fred writes
In article , geoff
writes

I'm not in a fluffy mood tonight

Then how about staying off usenet when you're in that kind of mood.

I doubt you'd walk into a dodgy pub and start talking to strangers like
that so why do it here?

Look the eejit posted like a ****wit

maybe next time he'll think first

Ah, unrepentant I see.

unrepentant ?

oh do **** off

And articulate too I see. Still, while you're venting your self loathing
here at least you're not able take it out on people in the real world.

Remember that 'So I'm offensive' thread you started in December, try
starting it again tonight and see if you get the same vote of
confidence.

Nitee.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , geoff writes
In message , fred writes
In article , geoff
writes
In message , fred writes
In article , geoff
writes

I'm not in a fluffy mood tonight

Then how about staying off usenet when you're in that kind of mood.

I doubt you'd walk into a dodgy pub and start talking to strangers
like
that so why do it here?

Look the eejit posted like a ****wit

maybe next time he'll think first

Ah, unrepentant I see.

unrepentant ?

oh do **** off

And articulate too I see. Still, while you're venting your self loathing
here at least you're not able take it out on people in the real world.

Remember that 'So I'm offensive' thread you started in December, try
starting it again tonight and see if you get the same vote of
confidence.

Nitee.

I was wondering why all this ****e was cramming my inbox, till I
realised that I've lost all my filters after a disk crash.

That Drivel, Firth and 'Geoff' in now.

Phew that will improve the quality of life.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
[...]

Maxie, do you think he should use mirrors to shine sun into his house and
assist in solar gain?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

I don't think the OP is the only one that has no idea where the sun is at
any given time. It's only when it affects you that you start to think
about it

Huh? I am always aware of where the sun is..

I remember the MOST disquieting thing about S Africa being the sun 'going
backwards'..through the NORTH.

.....and the water going down the plug hole the wrong way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Stuart Noble wrote:

I don't think the OP is the only one that has no idea where the sun
is at any given time. It's only when it affects you that you start to
think about it

Huh? I am always aware of where the sun is..

I remember the MOST disquieting thing about S Africa being the sun
'going backwards'..through the NORTH.

....and the water going down the plug hole the wrong way.

Not really,. It never went upwards as far ass I can recall.

warming up a north facing outside wall? benpost UK diy 8 December 30th 07 01:02 AM
replacement windows on the North side of the house NAL Home Repair 3 August 26th 07 05:18 PM
brick facing Eric Home Repair 7 December 27th 06 03:56 AM
North-facing Concrete Patio Bryan Home Repair 3 November 18th 05 12:27 PM
facing off concave Randy Zimmerman Metalworking 15 May 4th 05 02:06 PM