Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Sandman Mr Sandman is offline

Default North facing house?

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mr Sandman" contains these words:

house is at - Lat 53.0766° Long -2.00393°

Back of house is facing north towards the nice view, front of house faces
the steep driveway up the hill immediately in front of it.

I live on a North facing slope the best part of a degree further North.
I don't think my slope is quite as steep as yours and in winter the sun
doesn't get very far above the skyline. But 3 pm is closer to sunset
than noon and we are only 6 weeks past mid winter. Those trees might
make a difference but I don't think they are high enough up the slope to
obscure the skyline. My skyline at the moment is a field wall. If they
ever build on that field I would certainly lose my winter sunshine.

Be a bit different in mid summer. Apart from anything else the sun will
rise in the NE and set in the NW and, weather permitting, you should see
it from sunrise to sunset.

--
Roger Chapman

Roger,

thanks for your useful post. My current house is pretty much square with
clear views all round, so have not really had any problems with sunlight.
But its worth considering when purchasing a new house... I'm also looking at
a south facing house on a hill...the slope behind the house is much less
steep too, so i presume this will be a step closer to ideal.

Cheers

Steve