Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wood pellet stoves

Are these a good thing, re global warming?
I was in Italy recently, and they seem to be fashionable there.
But I haven't seen many in Dublin, where I live.

Any recommendations on make, installation, etc?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:07:29 +0000 someone who may be Timothy Murphy
wrote this:-

Are these a good thing, re global warming?

Pellets involve energy in converting the wood into pellets, so are
not as good as burning wood directly. However,a pellet stove is
still better than many of the alternatives and it is amenable to
automatic firing.

Any recommendations on make, installation, etc?

http://c-zero.co.uk/ may have their stoves on the web site soon.
However,if you delve into their forums you should find a fair bit of
advice on them.

If you get one connect it to a suitably sized thermal store,
together with a solar panel. You should then be able to provide
heating and hot water all year round from them both.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Jan, 14:07, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Are these a good thing, re global warming?
I was in Italy recently, and they seem to be fashionable there.
But I haven't seen many in Dublin, where I live.

Any recommendations on make, installation, etc?

--
Timothy Murphy *
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Timothy
Provided the wood is from a registered renewable source I see no
reason why it cannot be consdiered an excellent way forward re
regulating CO2 production - if the correlation between CO2 production
and global warming is confirmed (which seems likely) - be it a partial
or whole correlation.

Personally, I fould Dublin cold as hell, particularly in rooms in New
Square before they were tarted up, and were I back in a house in
Dublin would spend my money on insulation before a wood burner.

Have you costed out the likely supply of wood there v other sources?
If you do go down that path make sure you get a long contract with
your supplier as the price is bound to go up as people cotton on
Building regs this side of the water are a pita with respect to air
supply etc but I imagine its not so bad there

There are some good websites on wood burners to mug up on which gives
all the FAQs and the like

If you see him best wishes to Tim Foster prof in Bacteriolgy or the
like
We were in College in the sixties
Chris George
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Provided the wood is from a registered renewable source I see no
reason why it cannot be consdiered an excellent way forward re
regulating CO2 production - if the correlation between CO2 production
and global warming is confirmed (which seems likely) - be it a partial
or whole correlation.

Personally, I fould Dublin cold as hell, particularly in rooms in New
Square before they were tarted up, and were I back in a house in
Dublin would spend my money on insulation before a wood burner.

I must say Dublin is a lot warmer (in winter) than Cambridge,
where I spent my youth.
I lived for some years in a beautiful room in college here (in the Rubrics),
but with large holes in the window-frames.
One year I swapped with an American from California,
who could not believe any normal human being
could wish to live in such conditions.
He thought he was doing me a great favour by giving up my room for me.
I had great difficulty undoing his kindness.

Have you costed out the likely supply of wood there v other sources?
If you do go down that path make sure you get a long contract with
your supplier as the price is bound to go up as people cotton on
Building regs this side of the water are a pita with respect to air
supply etc but I imagine its not so bad there

I plan to place the stove in a chimney
(which rather surprisingly is in the middle of the room,
perhaps because the cottage in question was originally the laundry
for an orphanage).
I don't think people here are as worried about building regulations
as in the UK, but they are getting more bureaucratic in that regard.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 22, 2:07 pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Are these a good thing, re global warming?

Yes. Very. They produce much less CO2 / kW than most other forms of
heating.

I was in Italy recently, and they seem to be fashionable there.
But I haven't seen many in Dublin, where I live.

Any recommendations on make, installation, etc?

They are fine as a central heating boiler in the kitchen etc (but you
need plenty of room for the fuel store).

They are rather noisy for use as a living room fire (they use an
electric fan to force air over the pellets).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AJH wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 07:51:03 -0800 (PST), Martin Bonner
wrote:

They are fine as a central heating boiler in the kitchen etc (but you
need plenty of room for the fuel store).

Yes

They are rather noisy for use as a living room fire (they use an
electric fan to force air over the pellets).

There are three motors producing noise, the feed auger, the blower (if
it's a space heater) and the induced draught fan. When we first
imported a batch 9 years ago we only intended them for "public" areas,
scout huts etc.

Later ones had a kit to place the induced draught fans outside.

A secure supply of reasonably cheap pellets is essential, I wouldn't
advise one for the average home but my 10kW(t) one certainly heats the
(small) room fast.

If you can collect your own it may be worth getting in touch with
conservation organisations / contractors. None will be allowed to leave
chippings on site (whole point of scrub clearance is to avoid nutrient
enrichment) and few are allowed to burn on site due to soil damage and the
risk of fire spreading. Natural England were just shoving it in a pile last
time I saw it.

Bear in mind that they're not likely to have huge quantities but if you can
pick it up yourself it'll most likely be free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 01:03:57 -0000, Doki wrote:

A secure supply of reasonably cheap pellets is essential,

If you can collect your own it may be worth getting in touch with
conservation organisations / contractors. None will be allowed to leave
chippings on site (whole point of scrub clearance is to avoid nutrient
enrichment) and few are allowed to burn on site due to soil damage and
the risk of fire spreading.

We are talking wood pellets not chippings from forestry work.

http://www.nef.org.uk/logpile/pellets/about.htm

All the scrub clearance I've seen round here recently (roadside) has left
behind piles of chippings and the odd little pile of logs that won't go
through the chipper. One day I might stop and do some tidying up of my
own...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail