Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy[_2_] Timothy Murphy[_2_] is offline

Default Wood pellet stoves

wrote:

Provided the wood is from a registered renewable source I see no
reason why it cannot be consdiered an excellent way forward re
regulating CO2 production - if the correlation between CO2 production
and global warming is confirmed (which seems likely) - be it a partial
or whole correlation.

Personally, I fould Dublin cold as hell, particularly in rooms in New
Square before they were tarted up, and were I back in a house in
Dublin would spend my money on insulation before a wood burner.

I must say Dublin is a lot warmer (in winter) than Cambridge,
where I spent my youth.
I lived for some years in a beautiful room in college here (in the Rubrics),
but with large holes in the window-frames.
One year I swapped with an American from California,
who could not believe any normal human being
could wish to live in such conditions.
He thought he was doing me a great favour by giving up my room for me.
I had great difficulty undoing his kindness.

Have you costed out the likely supply of wood there v other sources?
If you do go down that path make sure you get a long contract with
your supplier as the price is bound to go up as people cotton on
Building regs this side of the water are a pita with respect to air
supply etc but I imagine its not so bad there

I plan to place the stove in a chimney
(which rather surprisingly is in the middle of the room,
perhaps because the cottage in question was originally the laundry
for an orphanage).
I don't think people here are as worried about building regulations
as in the UK, but they are getting more bureaucratic in that regard.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie