Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bearings in AEG washing machine

I think the bearings in my 15 year-old AEG washing machine
are getting worn -
it seems to vibrate much more than it used to.

Is it possible to get the bearings replaced or restored?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Timothy Murphy
scribeth thus

I think the bearings in my 15 year-old AEG washing machine
are getting worn -
it seems to vibrate much more than it used to.

Is it possible to get the bearings replaced or restored?

Umm ... at 15 years done, you think its about time you retired the poor
old girl?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message

I think the bearings in my 15 year-old AEG washing machine
are getting worn -
it seems to vibrate much more than it used to.

Is it possible to get the bearings replaced or restored?

--
Timothy Murphy

After buying the bearings and a bearing puller it will be cheaper to get a
new washing machine with manufacturers guarantee. It's not a job I would
try again. It takes too long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Ian" writes:
After buying the bearings and a bearing puller it will be cheaper to get a
new washing machine with manufacturers guarantee. It's not a job I would
try again. It takes too long.

Dunno about AEG, but new bearings for my Hotpoint are under £5 (CPC),
and that includes a new bearing seal too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 13:32:12 -0000, "Ian"
wrote:

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message

I think the bearings in my 15 year-old AEG washing machine
are getting worn -
it seems to vibrate much more than it used to.

Is it possible to get the bearings replaced or restored?

--
Timothy Murphy

After buying the bearings and a bearing puller it will be cheaper to get a
new washing machine with manufacturers guarantee. It's not a job I would
try again. It takes too long.

Hmmm, I did it on our (then) ~12 year old lavamat and it didn't take
*very* long nor cost much to do. But then I already had some pullers,
a 10 tonne hydraulic press and a bearing stockist round the corner.

The tricky bit was getting the bearing - drum seal but luckily a local
parts supplier had one in his generic parts book and that was quite
cheap and was identical to the one that had failed.

It's still going 5 years later ... good value for 25 quids worth of
parts. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 24/12/2007 12:29 Timothy Murphy wrote:

Is it possible to get the bearings replaced or restored?

Try asking in
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/module...viewforum&f=34

Usually very helpful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

Umm ... at 15 years done, you think its about time you retired the poor
old girl?...

Don't you think rescuing old equipment is one small way of saving energy?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 21:24:15 UTC, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

tony sayer wrote:

Umm ... at 15 years done, you think its about time you retired the poor
old girl?...

Don't you think rescuing old equipment is one small way of saving energy?

Except that you reach a point where the old equipment actually wastes
energy.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Timothy Murphy
scribeth thus

I think the bearings in my 15 year-old AEG washing machine
are getting worn -
it seems to vibrate much more than it used to.

Is it possible to get the bearings replaced or restored?

Umm ... at 15 years done, you think its about time you retired the poor
old girl?...

Pah - it's hardly run in yet. I don't recall the date when I bought my
Hotpoint but I do remember the car I collected it from the shop in and I ran
that between summer 1989 and summer 1991 so it must be about 17 years old.
Never had a day off sick in its life. Mind you with only me living here it
doesn't get hammered twice a day like a washing machine in a family with
umpteen kids would. Once a week is enough to keep my kecks clean.
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Umm ... at 15 years done, you think its about time you retired the poor
old girl?...

Don't you think rescuing old equipment is one small way of saving energy?

Except that you reach a point where the old equipment actually wastes
energy.

I think the energy used by this machine must be more or less determined
by the temperature it is set to -
I imagine the energy used by the motor is negligible by comparison.
You can set the machine to use less water.
I doubt if there has been much improvement in this technology
during the last 15 years.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:

I think the energy used by this machine must be more or less determined
by the temperature it is set to -
I imagine the energy used by the motor is negligible by comparison.
You can set the machine to use less water.
I doubt if there has been much improvement in this technology
during the last 15 years.

*Some* machines allow you to use less water. I'm fairly sure the one we
had 15 years ago had a "half load" button for just that purpose. The
one we have now uses magic or something to work out how much water to
use - so it can be a 1/4 fill, or a 3/4, or something. That *will* save
energy.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 23:25:44 UTC, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

Umm ... at 15 years done, you think its about time you retired the poor
old girl?...

Don't you think rescuing old equipment is one small way of saving energy?

Except that you reach a point where the old equipment actually wastes
energy.

I think the energy used by this machine must be more or less determined
by the temperature it is set to -
I imagine the energy used by the motor is negligible by comparison.
You can set the machine to use less water.
I doubt if there has been much improvement in this technology
during the last 15 years.

New Hotpoints (for example) use less water, and have more options for
lower
temperatures, as well as additional wash methods that appear to require
lower temperatures. Also, a half load option and other things I forget.
I'll tell you more when the replacement machine has run for a bit...

(the old one died beyond economic repair after 14 years, being run an
average of eight times a week).

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 20:49:47 GMT, wrote:

On 24 Dec,
"Ian" wrote:

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message

I think the bearings in my 15 year-old AEG washing machine
are getting worn -
it seems to vibrate much more than it used to.

Is it possible to get the bearings replaced or restored?

--
Timothy Murphy

After buying the bearings and a bearing puller it will be cheaper to get a
new washing machine with manufacturers guarantee. It's not a job I would
try again. It takes too long.

It's not difficult on an AEG. The bearings are on a removable spider. The
trouble is getting the bearings /and/ /seal/.

I was quoted something like £150 for bearings, spider and seal. I couldn't
get the sub components.

Hmm, I did (on our AEG Lavamat). The bearings were fairly easy from a
std bearing supplier and the 'special' (large rubber flanged) seal was
found via a local appliance shops generic parts catalogue (for about
12 quid if I remember).

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote;

I think the bearings in my 15 year-old AEG washing machine
are getting worn -
it seems to vibrate much more than it used to.

Is it possible to get the bearings replaced or restored?

Yes, to being replaced. However, there are several causes of excessive
vibration.

Does this sound like the bearings in a washing machine? Steven Campbell[_3_] UK diy 10 December 8th 07 05:20 PM
Washing machine bearings EricP UK diy 0 November 19th 06 04:27 PM
washing machine bearings [email protected] UK diy 1 January 2nd 05 11:53 AM
How do you remove bearings on Servis Washing machine Charlie UK diy 3 February 24th 04 01:02 AM