Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Bearings in AEG washing machine

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 23:25:44 UTC, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

Umm ... at 15 years done, you think its about time you retired the poor
old girl?...

Don't you think rescuing old equipment is one small way of saving energy?

Except that you reach a point where the old equipment actually wastes
energy.

I think the energy used by this machine must be more or less determined
by the temperature it is set to -
I imagine the energy used by the motor is negligible by comparison.
You can set the machine to use less water.
I doubt if there has been much improvement in this technology
during the last 15 years.

New Hotpoints (for example) use less water, and have more options for
lower
temperatures, as well as additional wash methods that appear to require
lower temperatures. Also, a half load option and other things I forget.
I'll tell you more when the replacement machine has run for a bit...

(the old one died beyond economic repair after 14 years, being run an
average of eight times a week).

http://www.diybanter.com