Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. Wahoo - I'm a Fair Trader!

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2007-12-06 09:02:09 +0000, Stuart Noble

On 2007-12-05 23:40:06 +0000, (Steve Firth) said:

Andy Dingley wrote:

It's part of a thing called "society"
There is no such thing as society.
That's my line :-)

You've got to pick up allies where you can

Not really. Remember that I'm an individualist. I don't need allies.

Then you're also an optimist.

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-06 09:02:09 +0000, Stuart Noble

On 2007-12-05 23:40:06 +0000, (Steve Firth) said:

Andy Dingley wrote:

It's part of a thing called "society"

There is no such thing as society.

That's my line :-)

You've got to pick up allies where you can

Not really. Remember that I'm an individualist. I don't need allies.

No, but *he* might. No such thing as society, we love Macs. All you
disagree on is who has flown more air miles and whether Ryanair counts
as flying.
You really learn all you need to know about politics in the primary
school playground. Or more precisely, you learn what to do to stop
yourself being picked on at playtime.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-06 10:48:00 +0000, Stuart Noble

On 2007-12-06 09:02:09 +0000, Stuart Noble

On 2007-12-05 23:40:06 +0000, (Steve Firth) said:

Andy Dingley wrote:

It's part of a thing called "society"

There is no such thing as society.

That's my line :-)

You've got to pick up allies where you can

Not really. Remember that I'm an individualist. I don't need allies.

No, but *he* might.

Ah but that's for him.

No such thing as society, we love Macs. All you disagree on is who has
flown more air miles and whether Ryanair counts as flying.

It certainly counts as flying. Whether I would want to go on it is
another thing entirely.

You really learn all you need to know about politics in the primary
school playground. Or more precisely, you learn what to do to stop
yourself being picked on at playtime.

Interesting thought, although I rather think that it happens before
that to a degree with siblings. As regards to the school playground,
I don't think that I ever acquiesced to people or things that I didn't
like in order not to be picked upon and neither did I stand on the edge
observing. If something was wrong and it was necessary to say that
it was wrong, I didn't hesitate about that. In that respect, not much
has changed. I still don't stand on the edge of the playground, but I
don't fall in with the popular view for the sake of convenience either,
if it's wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-06 09:02:09 +0000, Stuart Noble

On 2007-12-05 23:40:06 +0000, (Steve Firth) said:

Andy Dingley wrote:

It's part of a thing called "society"
There is no such thing as society.
That's my line :-)

You've got to pick up allies where you can

Not really. Remember that I'm an individualist. I don't need allies.

Then you're also an optimist.

I think that one has to be a combination of an optimist and a realist;
otherwise one might as well make an appointment at the Soylent factory
now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Firth
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
John Stumbles wrote:

or accept that
it's only your opinion rather than stating it as an established fact.

It's a fact - no one else promotes their business here as he does. I
can see the "mateship" thing is more important to some that that we
each behave ourselves.

Steve. You still haven't made it clear why you think I would want too
promote my business to people who don't need my services & live too far away
for me to provide them?

Are you claiming that increasing the hit rate on your website is of no
use to you?

I don't live in Medway. I've looked at TMH's web site. He will derive no
benefit from this. He may even have to pay for the bandwidth I used. How
did he benefit?

--
Si
yawn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes
I'm less competitive than you

so your prices are higher so?

--
Si
etc. sigh :-/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-06 10:48:00 +0000, Stuart Noble

On 2007-12-06 09:02:09 +0000, Stuart Noble

On 2007-12-05 23:40:06 +0000, (Steve Firth) said:

Andy Dingley wrote:

[...]

At my school you either had to play football or have a copy of Health &
Efficiency for hire. Don't ask!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-06 19:46:40 +0000, Stuart Noble
said:

At my school you either had to play football or have a copy of Health &
Efficiency for hire. Don't ask!

*that* long ago......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stuart Noble
writes
You really learn all you need to know about politics in the primary
school playground. Or more precisely, you learn what to do to stop
yourself being picked on at playtime.

Interesting thought, although I rather think that it happens before
that to a degree with siblings. As regards to the school
playground, I don't think that I ever acquiesced to people or things
that I didn't like in order not to be picked upon and neither did I
stand on the edge observing. If something was wrong and it was
necessary to say that it was wrong, I didn't hesitate about that. In
that respect, not much has changed. I still don't stand on the edge
of the playground, but I don't fall in with the popular view for the
sake of convenience either, if it's wrong.

At my school you either had to play football or have a copy of Health &
Efficiency for hire. Don't ask!

when I was in the first year (secondary school) the hardcase from the
second year had a go at me. I beat him up quite severely and nobody
touched me after that

.... until the fourth form where I had a run in with the head prefect -
who really should have known better

The only two fights I ever got into IIRC

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

In extreme cases this leads to hollowing out volcanoes and sticking
lasers onto sharks. Fortunately for the safety of the world you only
made it as far as being an arrogant tosser on Usenet.

ROFL

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-06 22:54:54 +0000, Grunff said:

Andy Dingley wrote:

In extreme cases this leads to hollowing out volcanoes and sticking
lasers onto sharks. Fortunately for the safety of the world you only
made it as far as being an arrogant tosser on Usenet.

ROFL

The name's Bond. Basildon Bond.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Si $3o&m wrote:

In message , Steve Firth
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
John Stumbles wrote:

or accept that
it's only your opinion rather than stating it as an established fact.

It's a fact - no one else promotes their business here as he does. I
can see the "mateship" thing is more important to some that that we
each behave ourselves.

Steve. You still haven't made it clear why you think I would want too
promote my business to people who don't need my services & live too far
away for me to provide them?

Are you claiming that increasing the hit rate on your website is of no
use to you?

I don't live in Medway. I've looked at TMH's web site. He will derive no
benefit from this. He may even have to pay for the bandwidth I used. How
did he benefit?

Is being dumb in season this week?

More links, higher preference in search engines.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-06 22:54:54 +0000, Grunff said:

Andy Dingley wrote:

In extreme cases this leads to hollowing out volcanoes and sticking
lasers onto sharks. Fortunately for the safety of the world you only
made it as far as being an arrogant tosser on Usenet.

ROFL

The name's Bond. Basildon Bond.....

The name's Bond. Premium Bond......

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

In extreme cases this leads to hollowing out volcanoes and sticking
lasers onto sharks.

Are you referring to Richard Branson?

Fortunately for the safety of the world you only
made it as far as being an arrogant tosser on Usenet.

People who are correct are frequently referred to as "arrogant", usually
by social inadequates.

The local equivalent is the killfile. If a significant number of people
are kf'ing you, either you're being an ass or they're all mistaken. Work
it out.

If I were being killfiled by someone whose opinions I cared for I might
worry. However I don't see that the contents of anyone elses killile is
my concern and I don't know why some people think that publicising their
killfile entries means anything to anyone other than themselves.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
On 2007-12-06 22:54:54 +0000, Grunff said:

Andy Dingley wrote:

In extreme cases this leads to hollowing out volcanoes and sticking
lasers onto sharks. Fortunately for the safety of the world you only
made it as far as being an arrogant tosser on Usenet.

ROFL

The name's Bond. Basildon Bond.....

The name's Bond. Premium Bond......

The name's Bond. superglue ...
--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Firth
writes
Is being dumb in season this week?

ahhh, that's that personal abuse you so abhor Steve

More links, higher preference in search engines.

I don't link to it, though you're making me think I might. And only
Google and its derivatives determine popularity of a site by means of
the quantity of other sites that link to it.

There's a whole other big wide world outside Google.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-06 09:02:09 +0000, Stuart Noble

On 2007-12-05 23:40:06 +0000, (Steve Firth) said:

Andy Dingley wrote:

It's part of a thing called "society"
There is no such thing as society.
That's my line :-)

You've got to pick up allies where you can
Not really. Remember that I'm an individualist. I don't need
allies.

Then you're also an optimist.

I think that one has to be a combination of an optimist and a realist;
otherwise one might as well make an appointment at the Soylent factory
now.

On that we can all agree.

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is being dumb in season this week?

Being dumb and argumentative is in season all through December
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
On 2007-12-06 22:54:54 +0000, Grunff said:

Andy Dingley wrote:

In extreme cases this leads to hollowing out volcanoes and sticking
lasers onto sharks. Fortunately for the safety of the world you only
made it as far as being an arrogant tosser on Usenet.

ROFL

The name's Bond. Basildon Bond.....

The name's Bond. Premium Bond......

The name's Bond. superglue ...

The name's Bond. Covalent Bond...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
On 2007-12-06 22:54:54 +0000, Grunff said:

Andy Dingley wrote:

In extreme cases this leads to hollowing out volcanoes and
sticking lasers onto sharks. Fortunately for the safety of the
world you only made it as far as being an arrogant tosser on
Usenet.

ROFL

The name's Bond. Basildon Bond.....

The name's Bond. Premium Bond......

The name's Bond. superglue ...

The name's Bond. Covalent Bond...

I didn't think they used valency nowadays John?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-05 23:40:06 +0000, (Steve Firth) said:

Andy Dingley wrote:

It's part of a thing called "society"

There is no such thing as society.

That's my line :-)

You've got to pick up allies where you can

My enemies enemy is my friend works well for me.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-05 23:40:06 +0000, (Steve Firth) said:

Andy Dingley wrote:

It's part of a thing called "society"

There is no such thing as society.

That's my line :-)

You've got to pick up allies where you can

My enemies enemy is my friend works well for me.

Adam

Yeah. We'll forget the apostrophe issue this time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Si $3o&m wrote:

In message , Steve Firth
writes
Is being dumb in season this week?

ahhh, that's that personal abuse you so abhor Steve

More links, higher preference in search engines.

I don't link to it,

You don't have to.