Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. Wahoo - I'm a Fair Trader!

My local council's trading standards dept operates a 'Fair Trader' scheme &
I've just been accredited as a member!

http://www.medway.gov.uk/index/busin...fairtrader.htm

Not that difficult to satisfy their standards TBH, I already did 90% of it
anyway. According to several people I've met who are members it gets you a
lot of business. Cost me £124 a year.

You get to use the logo on your web site (CD supplied with images is
absolute crap), get listed on the councils web site, you can use the logo on
the van etc.

Another opportunity to tuck up the punters :-) (Just joking).

Don't know if these schemes run anywhere else in the country, might help
some readers?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-02 01:10:05 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

My local council's trading standards dept operates a 'Fair Trader' scheme &
I've just been accredited as a member!

http://www.medway.gov.uk/index/busin...fairtrader.htm

Not that difficult to satisfy their standards TBH, I already did 90% of it
anyway. According to several people I've met who are members it gets you a
lot of business. Cost me £124 a year.

You get to use the logo on your web site (CD supplied with images is
absolute crap), get listed on the councils web site, you can use the logo on
the van etc.

Another opportunity to tuck up the punters :-) (Just joking).

Don't know if these schemes run anywhere else in the country, might help
some readers?

Which section? Property Maintenance? Will Consider all Jobs?

How do they check that you do what you say you will do, or what they
think you will do?
It is good that they are doing something proactive rather than sitting
on their botties waiting for the complaints.

I'm a bit bothered about Medway Council's motto, though. Serving you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 01:10:05 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

My local council's trading standards dept operates a 'Fair Trader' scheme &
I've just been accredited as a member!

OO well done.
It's going in our area (Oldham)

http://www.medway.gov.uk/index/busin...fairtrader.htm

Not that difficult to satisfy their standards TBH, I already did 90% of it
anyway. According to several people I've met who are members it gets you a
lot of business. Cost me £124 a year.

What are the standards?

You get to use the logo on your web site (CD supplied with images is
absolute crap), get listed on the councils web site, you can use the logo on
the van etc.

Another opportunity to tuck up the punters :-) (Just joking).

Don't know if these schemes run anywhere else in the country, might help
some readers?

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-02 01:10:05 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

My local council's trading standards dept operates a 'Fair Trader'
scheme & I've just been accredited as a member!

http://www.medway.gov.uk/index/busin...fairtrader.htm

Not that difficult to satisfy their standards TBH, I already did 90%
of it anyway. According to several people I've met who are members
it gets you a lot of business. Cost me £124 a year.

You get to use the logo on your web site (CD supplied with images is
absolute crap), get listed on the councils web site, you can use the
logo on the van etc.

Another opportunity to tuck up the punters :-) (Just joking).

Don't know if these schemes run anywhere else in the country, might
help some readers?

Which section? Property Maintenance? Will Consider all Jobs?

Don't know yet - typical council they react with the speed of a ruptured
ferret. I've asked for a handyman category.

How do they check that you do what you say you will do, or what they
think you will do?

Little bloke comes around for an hour & asks questions. Things like
customer records, pricing structures, complaints procedures etc. I think
the main point is that they now know who you are and are able to react more
efficiently in case of a complaint.

They come back & audit you every year or can spot check whenever they want.

My glazier mate told me that he had an unreasonable complaint about him,
they looked into the circumstances & sided with him. They told the client
he was being unreasonable.

It is good that they are doing something proactive rather than sitting
on their botties waiting for the complaints.

I'm a bit bothered about Medway Council's motto, though. Serving
you.

They serve you parking tickets with amazing efficiently............

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My local council's trading standards dept operates a 'Fair Trader'
scheme & I've just been accredited as a member!

OO well done.
It's going in our area (Oldham)

http://www.medway.gov.uk/index/busin...fairtrader.htm

Not that difficult to satisfy their standards TBH, I already did 90%
of it anyway. According to several people I've met who are members
it gets you a lot of business. Cost me £124 a year.

What are the standards?

I found it really simple. They just want to see your paperwork systems e.g.
jobsheets, invoices, quotes etc. They ask if you are a member of any trade
bodies, check your PL insurance. Nothing complicated.

TBH the bloke they sent round was a plank. Badly in need of a personality
transplant. I could have given him a load of bull**** & got away with it.

They only tugged me on one thing, they insist on £2m PLI and I only had £1m.

As I said though, I was doing most of the stuff they wanted anyway, most
people probably are as well.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

My local council's trading standards dept operates a 'Fair Trader' scheme &
I've just been accredited as a member!

Does Fair Trader status permit you to carry on a policy of unsolicited
commercial advertising to a DIY newsgroup?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 12:46:02 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I'm a bit bothered about Medway Council's motto, though. Serving
you.

They serve you parking tickets with amazing efficiently............

I liked the recent story about the bloke who was getting tickets on his
van while working at a particular house. Cost effective solution: he
hired a big skip (with door on one end) and got a legal skip permit from
the council. Put it outside the house. Each morning, he arrived, opened
the skip, and parked his van inside...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
My local council's trading standards dept operates a 'Fair Trader' scheme

&
I've just been accredited as a member!

http://www.medway.gov.uk/index/busin...fairtrader.htm

Heh! you would consider the council as a good advertisment for your
business?

sheeesh liverpool city council couldn't organise a ****up in a brewery and
as far as their housing workforce goes its the pits.

whats yours like?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

. uk...
On 2007-12-02 01:10:05 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

As do Trading Standards if the tradesman is correct.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 13:08:20 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

Does Fair Trader status permit you to carry on a policy of unsolicited
commercial advertising to a DIY newsgroup?

You mean, like a council would _know_ what a newsgroup is?

Personally I found this thread, with information on what it takes to get
onto such a "fair trader" scheme and how much weight it carries from
either the trader's[1] or their clients'[2] POV, quite useful. You may
think TMF is a mouthy b*** but it seems clear to me that his posts are
motivated by a wish to share the joys and woes of his working life with us
rather than soliciting more business than he needs.

[1] many of us on this group work for a living, and some of us do work
which overlaps with what others do as DIY

[2] not all DIYers are such fundamentalists that they do everything for
themselves, so most of us employ tradespeople from time to time.

--
John Stumbles

Testiculate [v.t]
To wave one's arms around while talking ********.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

You may
think TMF is a mouthy b*** but it seems clear to me that his posts are
motivated by a wish to share the joys and woes of his working life with us
rather than soliciting more business than he needs.

I don't think much one way or the other about Dave and his lifestyle
choices. However his stealth advertising is out of place here. If others
started to post thinly disguised business advertising it wouldn't be
long before the general population started to complain.

Just because someone is seen as OK, pleasant, friendly etc. is no reason
to persuade them to continue to commit newsgroup abuse.

Either that or declare a general amnesty and I'll start advertising my
businesses here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Dec, 13:10, "Bob Eager" wrote:

I liked the recent story about the bloke who was getting tickets on his
van while working at a particular house. Cost effective solution: he
hired a big skip (with door on one end) and got a legal skip permit from
the council. Put it outside the house. Each morning, he arrived, opened
the skip, and parked his van inside...

An urban myth, I fear.

He parked his van in the skip on the first day.
On the second day he arrived to find the skip occupied a 3 sofas, a
fridge, washing machine and several copies of Bravo Two Zero.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:31:52 +0000 Steve Firth wrote :
I don't think much one way or the other about Dave and his lifestyle
choices. However his stealth advertising is out of place here. If
others started to post thinly disguised business advertising it
wouldn't be long before the general population started to complain.

For 99% of us it isn't advertising because we're not in the Medway
area. Or to put it another way, how many of uk.d-i-y's readership
lives in the TMH catchment area - probably TMH only!

Personally I appreciate Dave's contributions to the group: takes me
back to when I was first self employed - a fellow BCO and I got so fed
up with some of what we saw that we thought we couldn't fail to make a
good living. We found out - as Dave often reminds us - that it's
harder than it looks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Firth
writes

Either that or declare a general amnesty and I'll start advertising my
businesses here.

In your 4 line sig', feel free.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Si $3o&m wrote:

In message , Steve Firth
writes

Either that or declare a general amnesty and I'll start advertising my
businesses here.

In your 4 line sig', feel free.

Oh no, I'll be filling the group with lively anecdotes of my latest
exploits. After all, that's the standard that "the group[1]" is willing
to accept.

[1] clique

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:

Personally I appreciate Dave's contributions to the group

Yes... I think you're rather making my point for me. It is similar to
the situation when ucsm permitted on user to start prattling on about
his computer business in the same way that Dave prattles on about his
van and dungaree business. Then the same individuals got all hot under
the collar when others started to spam the group.

However where was the moral highground? They were simply being faced
with more of what they had permitted.

I have no beef with Dave, other than that his business experience has no
place here. If he wants to rattle on elsewhere he's welcome, or if he's
really keen he start up uk.getitdoneforyou or whatever he wants to call
it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 13:08:20 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

Does Fair Trader status permit you to carry on a policy of
unsolicited commercial advertising to a DIY newsgroup?

Oh dear, it's that Firth man again. Missed your post because of my kill
file.

I'll type this very slowly Steve so you have a chance of understanding it.

Lets examine the accusation of "a policy of unsolicited commercial
advertising" shall we.

I operate exclusively in the ME postcodes. Actually I don't operate in all
of these postcodes, but whatever.

Since to my knowledge none of the regular contributors to this group live
anywhere near the ME postcodes, that wouldn't be a sensible "commercial
advertising" policy now would it?

If my assumption is incorrect, and unknown to me, many of the contributors
do live in the ME postcodes, what would be the point of offering a handyman
service to dedicated, knowledible, experienced DIY enthusiasts?

You will now probably start a rant about me obtaining information for free
from the group to use in a commercial activity.

I plead guilty to that charge. I do ask many questions and gratefully
receive answers from those more knowledible that I am in certain areas.

However, those who reply to my posts do so willingly.

The other side of the coin is where I use the information I have gained in
the course of my commercial activity to help members of the group who are
seeking information. Since I do more DIY in a month than some do in a year
I hope my input is useful to some.

Fair Trader status means I run my business properly with good intention.

I doubt this reasoned reply will change your attitude, but I accept that's
because you are simply a ****wit.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Tony Bryer wrote:

Personally I appreciate Dave's contributions to the group

Thank you Tony. I've had to "un kill file" Mr Firth in order to answer
this.

Yes... I think you're rather making my point for me. It is similar to
the situation when ucsm permitted on user to start prattling on about
his computer business in the same way that Dave prattles on about his
van and dungaree business. Then the same individuals got all hot under
the collar when others started to spam the group.

'Van & dungaree business?" I don't recall ever spamming this group.

However where was the moral highground? They were simply being faced
with more of what they had permitted.

I have no beef with Dave, other than that his business experience has
no place here. If he wants to rattle on elsewhere he's welcome, or if
he's really keen he start up uk.getitdoneforyou or whatever he wants
to call it.

You don't have a beef with me? I'd hate to get on the wrong side of you
then.......

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

John Stumbles wrote:

You may
think TMF is a mouthy b*** but it seems clear to me that his posts are
motivated by a wish to share the joys and woes of his working life with us
rather than soliciting more business than he needs.

I don't think much one way or the other about Dave and his lifestyle
choices. However his stealth advertising is out of place here.

Nonsense. There are plenty of professionals posting to their relevant
forums with taglines and signatures that advertise their
trade...myself included. In general such posters are welcome in their
associated forums.

If others
started to post thinly disguised business advertising it wouldn't be
long before the general population started to complain.

Depends on how useful their posts were.

Just because someone is seen as OK, pleasant, friendly etc. is no reason
to persuade them to continue to commit newsgroup abuse.

Because someone is helpful and knowledgeable it's a good idea to
encourage such a resource to stick around.

Either that or declare a general amnesty and I'll start advertising my
businesses here.

Go ahead....but bear in mind that when you do so, you associate your
business with your posts...and that can work in more than one way..

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

You don't have a beef with me? I'd hate to get on the wrong side of you
then.......

Ellipses have three dots, using more is a bad sign. And no you probably
don't want to get on the wrong side of me. However your killfiling of me
and your odd belie that I personally dislike you seems to be based on a
bizarre idea that people should always agree on every subject in order
to show how much they like each other.

You're as capable, indeed slightly more capable, of being as big an arse
as everybody and your stealth spamming is one example of your pratology.
That doesn't meant that you can't be useful, informative or amusing in
equal measure. It just means that you have developed a blind spot about
one issue. The fact that you have killiled me or saying so point up your
head in sand attitude. Although come to think of it didn't you
maliciously fail to killfile[1] me because I was correct with malice
aforethought when you were making another silly blunder?

[1] Lets face it, you can't kill file anyone if you have Outlook
Express, it's just not possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Howard wrote:

There are plenty of professionals posting to their relevant
forums with taglines and signatures that advertise their
trade...myself included.

I that were all he were doing, I would not object.

And "Nonsense" yourself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Since to my knowledge none of the regular contributors to this group live
anywhere near the ME postcodes, that wouldn't be a sensible "commercial
advertising" policy now would it?

sigh

I have no idea how successful your advertising is, but that doesn't mean
it isn't advertising. I spent a few hundred on advertising in a trade
journal, it produced no response at all although the same advert in
another journal produced hundreds of leads. Does that mean the first
advert wasn't an advert?

BTW, don't presume to tell me what I will do. You're a fake mindreader,
not a real one so don't get above yourself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Sorry you have lost me there - and probably everyone else on the group. I
don't really understand that post at all.

Could you elaborate on 'stealth spamming' please?

Is matron off duty tonight?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Since to my knowledge none of the regular contributors to this group
live anywhere near the ME postcodes, that wouldn't be a sensible
"commercial advertising" policy now would it?

sigh

I have no idea how successful your advertising is, but that doesn't
mean it isn't advertising. I spent a few hundred on advertising in a
trade journal, it produced no response at all although the same
advert in another journal produced hundreds of leads. Does that mean
the first advert wasn't an advert?

My advertising is very successful thank you. I still have no idea what you
mean. Would it be that advertising to people outside my area with no
interest in my services is still advertising? In which case I'm even more
confused.

BTW, don't presume to tell me what I will do. You're a fake
mindreader, not a real one so don't get above yourself.

All mindreaders are fake Steve. Bad news, Father Chistmas & the Tooth Fairy
are fake as well.

Care in the Community clearly isnt working.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Stephen Howard wrote:

There are plenty of professionals posting to their relevant
forums with taglines and signatures that advertise their
trade...myself included.

I that were all he were doing, I would not object.

And "Nonsense" yourself.

Please explain what else I'm doing Steve. Preferably when sober.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 00:02:48 +0000, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:

There are plenty of professionals posting to their relevant
forums with taglines and signatures that advertise their
trade...myself included.

I that were all he were doing, I would not object.

What else is he doing then, aside from posting to a forum which is
relevant to his trade?

And "Nonsense" yourself.

Hardly a refutation. You've pontificated, thrown out some accusations
- now back them up.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes

You utter, utter *******

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
Stephen Howard wrote:

There are plenty of professionals posting to their relevant
forums with taglines and signatures that advertise their
trade...myself included.

I that were all he were doing, I would not object.

And "Nonsense" yourself.

Please explain what else I'm doing Steve.

Have you been asleep? You continually drag your tedious business into
this newsgroup when it is, was and remains off-topic. I've lost count of
the spurious excuses you find to mention your business. It happens at
the drop of a hat, every few minutes that you start threads about your
van with links to your website, moan about another handyman with links
to your website. Post photos of jobs done by other people with links to
yoru website. Start to bleat about something with links to your
website. Generally mentioning that you happen to be a handyman again and
again and again.

In short any and every excuse to get your business mentioned.

Preferably when sober.

That was libellous, and beneath you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Care in the Community clearly isnt working.

Because you are rattled about your cunning wheeze to mention your
business every three minutes was rumbled, there's no need to descend to
the gutter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Sorry you have lost me there - and probably everyone else on the group. I
don't really understand that post at all.

Could you elaborate on 'stealth spamming' please?

Is matron off duty tonight?

You came up with exactly the same remarks last time and seem to
have cut and pasted them from a previous post. I see that once more,
when your cage is rattled you can't wait to get into the gutter and
start slinging the ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

All mindreaders are fake Steve. Bad news, Father Chistmas & the Tooth
Fairy are fake as well.

You utter, utter *******

He's wrong anyway, I've seen the Tooth Fairy on TV, she's called Violet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 00:24:00 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
blind spot about one issue. The fact that you have killiled me or
saying so point up your head in sand attitude. Although come to think
of it didn't you maliciously fail to killfile[1] me because I was
correct with malice aforethought when you were making another silly
blunder?

Sorry you have lost me there - and probably everyone else on the group. I
don't really understand that post at all.

I wish everyone would stop replying to Mr Firth - I've killfiled him
too! (long ago)

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Firth
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:

You don't have a beef with me? I'd hate to get on the wrong side of you
then.......

Ellipses have three dots, using more is a bad sign. And no you probably
don't want to get on the wrong side of me. However your killfiling of me

I think that a lot of regular posters here have killfiled you

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:

There are plenty of professionals posting to their relevant
forums with taglines and signatures that advertise their
trade...myself included.

I that were all he were doing, I would not object.

What else is he doing then, aside from posting to a forum which is
relevant to his trade?

This "forum" is not relevant to his trade, it is a DIY newsgroup. Being
a handyman is not DIY. It is DIFSE.

And "Nonsense" yourself.

Hardly a refutation. You've pontificated, thrown out some accusations -
now back them up.

Nonsense.

BTW, you were the one who started with "Nonsense", if you don't like it
as a response, then don't use it as one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

In message , Steve Firth
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:

You don't have a beef with me? I'd hate to get on the wrong side of you
then.......

Ellipses have three dots, using more is a bad sign. And no you probably
don't want to get on the wrong side of me. However your killfiling of me

I think that a lot of regular posters here have killfiled you

And? Am I supposed to be interested in the content of their kill file?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote:

There are plenty of professionals posting to their relevant
forums with taglines and signatures that advertise their
trade...myself included.

I that were all he were doing, I would not object.

What else is he doing then, aside from posting to a forum which is
relevant to his trade?

This "forum" is not relevant to his trade, it is a DIY newsgroup. Being
a handyman is not DIY. It is DIFSE.

Well, when people embark on a DIY project they often start by seeking
relevant information. That information often comes in the form of
books and articles written by experts....likewise DIY television shows
feature an expert. These experts are usually 'all-rounders'..you know,
a spot of building, a bit of carpentry, a smidgeon of plumbing etc.
In other words, a 'Handyman'.
If you want to Do It Yourself there's no finer person to ask than
someone who Does It All The Time - that's pure common-sense, and a
policy I strongly encourage in my own craft.

And "Nonsense" yourself.

Hardly a refutation. You've pontificated, thrown out some accusations -
now back them up.

Nonsense.

Ah, I see. From that response to a genuine request for information to
back up your accusations ( viz 'I that were all he were doing, I would
not object.' ) , and the, quite frankly, ridiculous assertion that
DIYers shouldn't look to experts for advice, I see that I'm wasting my
time.
Never mind, I at least had the courtesy to offer you the opportunity
to explain yourself.

BTW, you were the one who started with "Nonsense", if you don't like it
as a response, then don't use it as one.

It doesn't bother me, I can at least back up my statements.
I believe we're done here.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Firth
writes
Preferably when sober.

That was libellous, and beneath you.

He was probably up his ladder (fixing my guttering (I wish!)) at the
time.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes

Care in the Community clearly isnt working.

cough

You're now heading into my area of expertise, Dave. Please don't use
comments about mental health as insults.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Firth
writes
Si $3o&m wrote:
In message , Steve Firth
writes

Either that or declare a general amnesty and I'll start advertising my
businesses here.

In your 4 line sig', feel free.

Oh no, I'll be filling the group with lively anecdotes of my latest
exploits. After all, that's the standard that "the group[1]" is willing
to accept.
[1] clique

Most of the time TMH's contributions are interesting and contribute to
the knowledge flow of this group. If you followed that standard I for
one would be content.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Howard wrote:

[snip]

Ah, I see. From that response to a genuine request for information to
back up your accusations ( viz 'I that were all he were doing, I would
not object.' )

The answer to that was given in another post.

Perhaps you should try reading the thread beore you start bleating?

, and the, quite frankly, ridiculous assertion that DIYers shouldn't look
to experts for advice,

I have made no such assertion. Perhaps you would care to give the
Message ID in which I made such a statement, or rather the one in which
you think I made such a statement?

I see that I'm wasting my time.

You are if you are going to resort to making up statements that I have
never uttered.

Never mind, I at least had the courtesy to offer you the opportunity
to explain yourself.

No, you had the effrontery to start demanding that I "back up" my
opinion about Dave's attempts to promote his business via this
newsgroup, while responding to my posts with "Nonsense."

BTW, you were the one who started with "Nonsense", if you don't like it
as a response, then don't use it as one.

It doesn't bother me, I can at least back up my statements.

And yet you have not done so.

I believe we're done here.

Beleive what you like, all you have done is to show what a prima donna
you are.