Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Locksmith...

A friend locked herself out of her flat this weekend.
I offered to come round and use my size 11 skeleton keys on it :-) but
she called a locksmith instead.

The lock was a single yale-type lock which locks when the door is
pulled closed.
My question is - how would a locksmith open this?

I thought about drilling through the keyhole with a HSS bit - bit I
guess (hope!) the cylinder should be able to resist this type of
attack?

Mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Nov, 12:59, Andy Cap wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 04:53:49 -0800 (PST), wrote:
A friend locked herself out of her flat this weekend.
I offered to come round and use my size 11 skeleton keys on it :-) but
she called a locksmith instead.

The lock was a single yale-type lock which locks when the door is
pulled closed.
My question is - how would a locksmith open this?

I thought about drilling through the keyhole with a HSS bit - bit I
guess (hope!) the cylinder should be able to resist this type of
attack?

Mark.

I think you want uk.rec.burglars

Andy

:-)
Surley burglary counts as DIY?

Mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Nov, 12:53, wrote:
A friend locked herself out of her flat this weekend.
I offered to come round and use my size 11 skeleton keys on it :-) but
she called a locksmith instead.

The lock was a single yale-type lock which locks when the door is
pulled closed.
My question is - how would a locksmith open this?

I thought about drilling through the keyhole with a HSS bit - bit I
guess (hope!) the cylinder should be able to resist this type of
attack?

If it's the old-fashioned type of Yale that doesn't deadlock then you
can just slide something (bit of stiff but flexible plastic) between
the door and the frame to push the bolt back into the, errrrr
thingie.

See http://www.wikihow.com/Open-a-Door-With-a-Credit-Card

Some interesting links there!
Related wikiHows
- How to Pick a Lock
- How to Crack a "Master Lock" Combination Lock
- How to Make a Padlock Shim
- How to Crack a Master Combination Lock
- How to Open a Lock Using a Can
- How to Kick Down a Door
- How to Burglarproof Your Doors
- How to Bump a Lock

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 06:32:30 -0800 (PST), Martin Pentreath
wrote:

On 19 Nov, 12:53, wrote:
A friend locked herself out of her flat this weekend.
I offered to come round and use my size 11 skeleton keys on it :-) but
she called a locksmith instead.

The lock was a single yale-type lock which locks when the door is
pulled closed.
My question is - how would a locksmith open this?

I thought about drilling through the keyhole with a HSS bit - bit I
guess (hope!) the cylinder should be able to resist this type of
attack?

If it's the old-fashioned type of Yale that doesn't deadlock then you
can just slide something (bit of stiff but flexible plastic) between
the door and the frame to push the bolt back into the, errrrr
thingie.

I locked myself out once. And a friend said he knew how to open it.
Sadly what he meant was he knew he could boot the door hard enough to
get it open.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 19, 2:32 pm, Martin Pentreath
wrote:
On 19 Nov, 12:53, wrote:

A friend locked herself out of her flat this weekend.
I offered to come round and use my size 11 skeleton keys on it :-) but
she called a locksmith instead.

The lock was a single yale-type lock which locks when the door is
pulled closed.
My question is - how would a locksmith open this?

I thought about drilling through the keyhole with a HSS bit - bit I
guess (hope!) the cylinder should be able to resist this type of
attack?

If it's the old-fashioned type of Yale that doesn't deadlock then you
can just slide something (bit of stiff but flexible plastic) between
the door and the frame to push the bolt back into the, errrrr
thingie.

Seehttp://www.wikihow.com/Open-a-Door-With-a-Credit-Card

Errm "Inside doors may have trim around them that will prevent you
from opening it with a card. Either remove the trim or find an
alternative method of opening the door" My outside door has a trim
that I'm pretty sure would prevent opening this easily.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-19, wrote:

A friend locked herself out of her flat this weekend.
I offered to come round and use my size 11 skeleton keys on it :-) but
she called a locksmith instead.

The lock was a single yale-type lock which locks when the door is
pulled closed.
My question is - how would a locksmith open this?

By drilling down the shear line so the plug can be rotated. Takes about 30
seconds including the walk from the van, and that'll be 90 quid, thanks.

She get a bargain at 75 quid then!
What is the shear line?
Right through the middle of the barrel?

Mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 19 Nov, 12:53, wrote:
[...]

There's also the "Mother-in-Law's" tongue principle!

Depending on condition of the lock & how tight the door fits the frame...you
can create a vibration which causes the Houdini effect!

{Apparently that's how microwaves work too ;-) }

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
A friend locked herself out of her flat this weekend.
I offered to come round and use my size 11 skeleton keys on it :-) but
she called a locksmith instead.

The lock was a single yale-type lock which locks when the door is
pulled closed.
My question is - how would a locksmith open this?

I thought about drilling through the keyhole with a HSS bit - bit I
guess (hope!) the cylinder should be able to resist this type of
attack?

Mark.

Takes about 10 seconds, no damage to lock or door.
Nice little earner :0)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
A friend locked herself out of her flat this weekend.
I offered to come round and use my size 11 skeleton keys on it :-) but
she called a locksmith instead.

The lock was a single yale-type lock which locks when the door is
pulled closed.
My question is - how would a locksmith open this?

In the case of a friend who got locked out, open it from inside, through the
letterbox, with a tool he carried to do just that. Although the problem
turned out to be that the painter doing the flat up for her had taken off
the inside door handle and the square shaft that operated a sashlock on the
door fell out when the door slammed shut in the wind. A couple of minutes
with a screwdriver sorted the problem, after the locksmith had given up.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The lock was a single yale-type lock which locks when the door is
pulled closed.
My question is - how would a locksmith open this?

Bump-key ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
A friend locked herself out of her flat this weekend.
I offered to come round and use my size 11 skeleton keys on it :-) but
she called a locksmith instead.

The lock was a single yale-type lock which locks when the door is
pulled closed.
My question is - how would a locksmith open this?

I thought about drilling through the keyhole with a HSS bit - bit I
guess (hope!) the cylinder should be able to resist this type of
attack?

Funnily enough I drilled one out this very day - for the first time ever.

The plastic shim doesn't work on most doors due to the rebated frame.

I have an escapologist mate who only picks locks as a last resort, prefers
hidden keys, gimmicked locks etc.

He gave me a lock pick set & showed me how to pick a Yale type lock. It's
much, much harder than it looks, takes loads of practice to get it 100%. I
still can't do it well.

As Huge says, drill down the shear line, which is just above the top of the
key slot. Didn't work today as the drill slipped into the larger bit of the
key slot. Instead I drillled where I guessed the fixing bolts were & got
lucky on both. Once these are drilled out it falls apart with a little
'encouragemment'.

Used a cobalt drill bit - knife through butter.

If you can get the bezel (the ring around the lock, I think thats what its
called) off then its easy to drill out the fixing bolts.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-19 21:05:24 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I have an escapologist mate who only picks locks as a last resort, prefers
hidden keys, gimmicked locks etc.

Is he called Sharon? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-19 21:05:24 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I have an escapologist mate who only picks locks as a last resort,
prefers hidden keys, gimmicked locks etc.

Is he called Sharon? ;-)

No http://www.scottcreasey.co.uk/

Why are you obsessed with Sharons? I only know one, a Sister in A&E who is
my daughters mate.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-19 22:12:42 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-11-19 21:05:24 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I have an escapologist mate who only picks locks as a last resort,
prefers hidden keys, gimmicked locks etc.

Is he called Sharon? ;-)

No http://www.scottcreasey.co.uk/

Why are you obsessed with Sharons? I only know one, a Sister in A&E who is
my daughters mate.

I'm not really. It seems that this is a popular name for magicians'
assistants.

Far more popular are the Tracays answering corporate telephones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-19 22:12:42 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-11-19 21:05:24 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I have an escapologist mate who only picks locks as a last resort,
prefers hidden keys, gimmicked locks etc.

Is he called Sharon? ;-)

No http://www.scottcreasey.co.uk/

Why are you obsessed with Sharons? I only know one, a Sister in A&E
who is my daughters mate.

I'm not really. It seems that this is a popular name for magicians'
assistants.

'Box Jumpers' if you want the technical term :-) Mostly ex dancers or
gymnasts.

I don't really know many illusionists, although I've built props for one -
his wife is called Tracey, not Sharon. Once built a prop for Joe Pasquale,
but he works alone.

Far more popular are the Tracays answering corporate telephones.

Would that be for Versal National?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 47420bb4@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
On 2007-11-19 22:12:42 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-11-19 21:05:24 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:
I have an escapologist mate who only picks locks as a last resort,
prefers hidden keys, gimmicked locks etc.
Is he called Sharon? ;-)

No http://www.scottcreasey.co.uk/
Why are you obsessed with Sharons? I only know one, a Sister in A&E
who is
my daughters mate.

I'm not really. It seems that this is a popular name for magicians'
assistants.

Well, not always

...especially for one type of stage show

http://monologues.co.uk/Les_Barker/Cosmo_the_Knife.htm

Far more popular are the Tracays answering corporate telephones.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-19 22:31:57 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-11-19 22:12:42 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-11-19 21:05:24 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I have an escapologist mate who only picks locks as a last resort,
prefers hidden keys, gimmicked locks etc.

Is he called Sharon? ;-)

No http://www.scottcreasey.co.uk/

Why are you obsessed with Sharons? I only know one, a Sister in A&E
who is my daughters mate.

I'm not really. It seems that this is a popular name for magicians'
assistants.

'Box Jumpers' if you want the technical term :-) Mostly ex dancers or
gymnasts.

Hence the tutus.

I don't really know many illusionists, although I've built props for one -
his wife is called Tracey, not Sharon.

There you go you see.

Once built a prop for Joe Pasquale,
but he works alone.

Far more popular are the Tracays answering corporate telephones.

Would that be for Versal National?

Typically it's organisations who haven't yet outsourced to Mumbai or
who have and have brought it back having given up on the idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-19 22:33:39 +0000, geoff said:

In message , The
Medway Handyman writes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
On 2007-11-19 21:05:24 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I have an escapologist mate who only picks locks as a last resort,
prefers hidden keys, gimmicked locks etc.

Is he called Sharon? ;-)

No http://www.scottcreasey.co.uk/

Why are you obsessed with Sharons? I only know one, a Sister in A&E
who is my daughters mate.

Is she fit ?

Very - and she has a genuine nurses uniform..........

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 19, 12:53 pm, wrote:
A friend locked herself out of her flat this weekend.
I offered to come round and use my size 11 skeleton keys on it :-) but
she called a locksmith instead.

The lock was a single yale-type lock which locks when the door is
pulled closed.
My question is - how would a locksmith open this?

I thought about drilling through the keyhole with a HSS bit - bit I
guess (hope!) the cylinder should be able to resist this type of
attack?

Mark.

Its a latch not a lock, mortices are somewhat harder , look and learn:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 14:24:37 UTC, Owain
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
Is she fit ?

Very - and she has a genuine nurses uniform..........

Aye, and just think of some of the stuff that will have been splattered
on that ...

And not on the ward either...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
Is she fit ?
Very - and she has a genuine nurses uniform..........
Aye, and just think of some of the stuff that will have been
splattered
on that ...

And not on the ward either...

Oh I say...

What have I started ?

.... photo

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ful20smile.jpg

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The
Medway Handyman writes

wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
Is she fit ?
Very - and she has a genuine nurses uniform..........
Aye, and just think of some of the stuff that will have been
splattered
on that ...
And not on the ward either...

Oh I say...

What have I started ?

... photo

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ful20smile.jpg

Doh - not of drivels sister !

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-20 21:13:40 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
Is she fit ?
Very - and she has a genuine nurses uniform..........
Aye, and just think of some of the stuff that will have been
splattered
on that ...
And not on the ward either...

Oh I say...

What have I started ?

... photo

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ful20smile.jpg

There's better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f08pwTn546w

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:47:22 UTC, Frank Erskine
wrote:

A pal of mine who used to repair council-house doors once showed me.
Get the claw of a claw-hammer under the edge of the cylinder (the
softish escutcheon makes this easy really), then tear out the
cylinder. The fixing screw heads will pull through the back-plate.
Then you can insert a screwdriver into the slot in the lock and easily
open the door.
Does anybody still use Yale-type locks? Insurance companies don't
recognise them as secure nowadays.

They do if you use the BS approved ones. These have additional fixing
points, are more solid, have anti-pick pins, and have an automatic
deadlock system.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-19, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

He gave me a lock pick set & showed me how to pick a Yale type lock.
It's much, much harder than it looks, takes loads of practice to get
it 100%.

You're not wrong there. I have a set of picks and a book, but have
never managed to get even simple Yale style locks open.

I was buying a lock today at my local 'proper lock place, where they know
what they are on about, & charge less than B&Q'.

Asked the bloke how much they charge for picking a Yale type lock. £55 call
out. No labour, too quick to measure apparently, matter of minutes. They
have been around for 45 years + mind.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk