Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Locksmith...

wrote in message
A friend locked herself out of her flat this weekend.
I offered to come round and use my size 11 skeleton keys on it :-) but
she called a locksmith instead.

The lock was a single yale-type lock which locks when the door is
pulled closed.
My question is - how would a locksmith open this?

In the case of a friend who got locked out, open it from inside, through the
letterbox, with a tool he carried to do just that. Although the problem
turned out to be that the painter doing the flat up for her had taken off
the inside door handle and the square shaft that operated a sashlock on the
door fell out when the door slammed shut in the wind. A couple of minutes
with a screwdriver sorted the problem, after the locksmith had given up.

Colin Bignell