Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Advice Please Re- Extension Sockets

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My modem feeds 4 RJ45 sockets around the house. Wireless was a bit
expensive when I installed it. And I'd rather not have to look at all that
wiring so I fitted it in the cellar - which is where I re-routed the phone
line to enter the house, rather than the original through a window
frame. ;-)

Don't give your address Dave or Gippy Joe will be around to tell you off!

Mike
(When I had my ISDN Home Highway installed, the BT man was over the moon
that I had pre-installed a nice new cable from the block outside to
inside to the new socket position for him!!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.diy.home

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 10:44:59 UTC, Mike J wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My modem feeds 4 RJ45 sockets around the house. Wireless was a bit
expensive when I installed it. And I'd rather not have to look at all that
wiring so I fitted it in the cellar - which is where I re-routed the phone
line to enter the house, rather than the original through a window
frame. ;-)

Don't give your address Dave or Gippy Joe will be around to tell you off!

Mike
(When I had my ISDN Home Highway installed, the BT man was over the moon
that I had pre-installed a nice new cable from the block outside to
inside to the new socket position for him!!)

I didn't bother. He was still over the moon when I told him I wanted the
NTE9 sited two inches from the master socket...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband

On 2007-11-08, Nigel Cliffe wrote:

Evidently you think you are losing so little that doing nothing is
sensible. Others will find a certain amount of loss, and have to decide if
its worth networking to the master socket to remove that loss. In extremes
its the difference between a stable broadband service and no connection.

[FX: waves]

The internal phone wiring in my house is so pants, the broadband wouldn't work.
We got a filtering master socket and all is well.

It was convenient that the master socket was in my study - it is, as someone has
said, useful to be able to see the modem.

One place I wired up we put the broadband router, and the PABX in the
cupboard under the stairs..cots thats where the wires came in!

for everything else, there was cat 5.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.diy.home

In article , rde42
@spamcop.net says...
I didn't bother. He was still over the moon when I told him I wanted the
NTE9 sited two inches from the master socket...

When Telewest fitted cable to this place they turned up expecting to
nail it to the skirtingboards in that obscene way they have. They looked
a bit surprised when I showed them a draw-wire leading through a conduit
to the back of the house where I wanted the terminal.
Definitely worth doing - you can't see any wires anywhere except behind
the telly.
--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.diy.home

Skipweasel wrote:

When Telewest fitted cable to this place they turned up expecting to
nail it to the skirtingboards in that obscene way they have. They looked
a bit surprised when I showed them a draw-wire leading through a conduit
to the back of the house where I wanted the terminal.
Definitely worth doing - you can't see any wires anywhere except behind
the telly.

When NTL supplied service at a relations, they just cut off all the BT
wiring (including the NTE) and connected their wires to it using the old
internal cabling.
I had to re-do it when they went back to BT/Sky as the old internal
stuff (orange/blue/brown/green untwisted) completely f***s up ADSL

Mike

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:

It was convenient that the master socket was in my study - it is, as
someone has said, useful to be able to see the modem.

My modem feeds 4 RJ45 sockets around the house. Wireless was a bit
expensive when I installed it. And I'd rather not have to look at all that
wiring so I fitted it in the cellar - which is where I re-routed the phone
line to enter the house, rather than the original through a window
frame. ;-)

If I suspect a problem with the router I can interrogate it from any
computer on the LAN, and re-boot if necessary.

How do I do that, please?

I have a voyager 205 router, but I am on the USB output. The wife is on
the LAN line.

Dave
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband

"Dave" wrote in message

: : Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

[snip]

: : : If I suspect a problem with the router I can
: : : interrogate it from any computer on the LAN, and
: : : re-boot if necessary.
: :
: : How do I do that, please?
: :
: : I have a voyager 205 router, but I am on the USB
: : output. The wife is on the LAN line.

Why..? Put all computers on the LAN, it's a lot easier. If your router
only has one Ethernet port, get a switch, they're cheap enough.

Ivor

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband

In article ,
Dave wrote:
If I suspect a problem with the router I can interrogate it from any
computer on the LAN, and re-boot if necessary.

How do I do that, please?

I have a voyager 205 router, but I am on the USB output. The wife is on
the LAN line.

It's in the instruction book - but I suppose if you bought a package with
it all ready set up you won't have one.

With mine you ping its address from your browser and a password window
comes up. Enter the password and you're into its menu and you can then do
a number of checks or re-configure it for a different ISP, etc.

I couldn't use one as supplied by an ISP as I don't use a PC or Mac at the
time. So had to configure it manually.

--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:
If I suspect a problem with the router I can interrogate it from any
computer on the LAN, and re-boot if necessary.

How do I do that, please?

I have a voyager 205 router, but I am on the USB output. The wife is
on the LAN line.

It's in the instruction book - but I suppose if you bought a package
with it all ready set up you won't have one.

There is some support on the BT website, though I didn't find the product
manual (Dave above appears to be a BT Broadband customer).

http://www.voyager.bt.com/

With mine you ping its address from your browser and a password window
comes up. Enter the password and you're into its menu and you can
then do a number of checks or re-configure it for a different ISP,
etc.

I couldn't use one as supplied by an ISP as I don't use a PC or Mac
at the time. So had to configure it manually.

BT router/modems come pre-configured to work "out of the box" on a BT
(consumer) Broadband line (they don't need your username/password entering,
any sane default will work - this isn't a security hole either). There is
no setup required for the Ethernet side and basic connectivity. USB will
require drivers. Some of the extra service features require setup (if
wanted).

Like Ivor Jones, I would suggest that Dave puts both computers onto
Ethernet; its a lot less hassle once its done.

For just a couple of computers, a cheap switch box will do the job perfectly
adequately, eg this at £13 from PC World:
http://tinyurl.com/2j2pzn
It should be possible to get below £10, though postal costs might well then
make the "collect in store" option at PC World the better price.

Or one could purchase a new router with four ports on it for well under £40,
but that would require setup, and if one had reason to call BT's technical
support they would expect you to put the supplied router back before they
worked through the issue.

- Nigel (ex BT R&D)

--
Nigel Cliffe,