Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Choosing a boiler - again.

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On 2007-07-10 16:34:28 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"

On 2007-07-10 13:53:34 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
said:

Coupling two cylinders together with Surrey flange on the top of
the top cylinder to keep the hot water at the top, will maintain
stratification well. You can also switch to just cylinder one in
the summer of economy. Can be easily DIYed, using two cheap
direct cylinders.

A real space saver there...

On a dexion rack it takes no more space.

Really? When I looked at the TARDIS, it was made of ply and
chipboard, not steel angle system.

It wasn't.

I'm sure that Mr Plowman will be along soon to put us right......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
The 333 is a thermal store and boiler all in one box. A 1-box fit.
That will suit you OK that is certain, and most others. It will fit in
the same place as the old boiler as well.

No it won't. It's both taller and wider.

--
*Is there another word for synonym?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

reenews.net...

On 2007-07-10 13:53:34 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
said:

Coupling two cylinders together with Surrey flange on the top of the
top cylinder to keep the hot water at the top, will maintain
stratification well. You can also switch to just cylinder one in the
summer of economy. Can be easily DIYed, using two cheap direct
cylinders.

A real space saver there...

On a dexion rack it takes no more space.

Really? When I looked at the TARDIS, it was made of ply and
chipboard, not steel angle system.

It wasn't.

I'm sure that Mr Plowman will be along soon to put us right......

Mad trolls usually do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:
The 333 is a thermal store and boiler all in one box. A 1-box fit.
That will suit you OK that is certain, and most others. It will fit in
the same place as the old boiler as well.

No it won't. It's both taller and wider.

Try another make. Duh!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Trouble is the size of the thing - as expected when it contains an
unneeded water store. It's too wide for the cupboard and the height
would reduce the 'airing' space considerably. Then there's the cost of
paying for the bits I simply don't need.

I think Ed was referring to a "normal" combi version rather than the
storage model. Pricing on that will probably not be much different to a
system version anyway, so it can be a way of getting system boiler
functionality.

Having said that, their range booklet he

http://www.viessmann.co.uk/downloads...geOverview.pdf

Suggests they do have a good number of system boilers to chose from.

Now I've finally got their PDFs to work it would appear the Vitodens 300
26kW suitable for what I want - I'm assuming that has at least the same
output as an 80,000 BTU type?

I'm a bit confused about which extras are needed for installing on an
outside wall - I've not really waded through the options. A recommendation
as to where to buy would help too. This is the best price I've seen so
far:-

http://www.plumbinpoint.co.uk/cgi-bi...rid=&cmpid =2

--
*I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-10 13:53:34 +0100, "Doctor Drivel" said:

Coupling two cylinders together with Surrey flange on the top of the
top cylinder to keep the hot water at the top, will maintain
stratification well. You can also switch to just cylinder one in the
summer of economy. Can be easily DIYed, using two cheap direct
cylinders.

A real space saver there...

On a dexion rack it takes no more space.

Really? When I looked at the TARDIS, it was made of ply and
chipboard, not steel angle system.

It wasn't.

Take a visit to Television Centre. It's on the guided tour past the
studios, as is the control column, unless they've moved it in the last
year or so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"Andy Hall" wrote in message

snip

Really? When I looked at the TARDIS, it was made of ply and
chipboard, not steel angle system.

It wasn't.

I'm sure that Mr Plowman will be along soon to put us right......

Mad trolls usually do.

Like yourself you mean?

If anyone on this group knows anything about what the TARDIS was made
out of Mr Plowman will, seeing that IIRC he worked on the some of the
original productions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-10 16:59:36 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
said:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message

snip

Really? When I looked at the TARDIS, it was made of ply and
chipboard, not steel angle system.

It wasn't.

Take a visit to Television Centre.

Don't suggest that, he will be like Frank Spencer in the ultra-modern
house! - if you remember that episode. Must say, it would boost ITV's
viewing figures with the entire BBC off air...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"Andy Hall" wrote in message

snip

Really? When I looked at the TARDIS, it was made of ply and
chipboard, not steel angle system.

It wasn't.

I'm sure that Mr Plowman will be along soon to put us right......

Mad trolls usually do.

Like yourself you mean?

Such wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
:Jerry: wrote:
Really? When I looked at the TARDIS, it was made of ply and
chipboard, not steel angle system.

It wasn't.

I'm sure that Mr Plowman will be along soon to put us right......

Heh heh. Most TV chippy shops only use blockboard. MDF and chipboard have
H&S issues.

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The 333 is a thermal store and boiler all in one box. A 1-box fit.
That will suit you OK that is certain, and most others. It will fit in
the same place as the old boiler as well.

No it won't. It's both taller and wider.

Try another make. Duh!!!

Duh yourself. Not noticed you being any help - as usual.

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
:Jerry: wrote:
If anyone on this group knows anything about what the TARDIS was made
out of Mr Plowman will, seeing that IIRC he worked on the some of the
original productions.

I worked on Ep1. Which was made twice by different crews in different
studios. Don't know which one got transmitted. I do remember my crew
thought it rubbish and would never make a series. Also remember Hartnell
being a miserable sod.

--
*There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and **** head's*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The 333 is a thermal store and boiler all in one box. A 1-box fit.
That will suit you OK that is certain, and most others. It will fit in
the same place as the old boiler as well.

No it won't. It's both taller and wider.

Try another make. Duh!!!

Duh yourself. Not noticed you being any help - as usual.

I am helping you no end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The 333 is a thermal store and boiler all in one box. A 1-box fit.
That will suit you OK that is certain, and most others. It will fit in
the same place as the old boiler as well.

No it won't. It's both taller and wider.

Try another make. Duh!!!

Duh yourself. Not noticed you being any help - as usual.

I am helping you no end.

Given your encyclopedic knowledge of maker's catalogues I'd have thought
you'd have been able to offer me several choices of what I want - rather
than what you think I need. But then I should no better than to expect
this.

--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The 333 is a thermal store and boiler all in one box. A 1-box fit.
That will suit you OK that is certain, and most others. It will fit
in
the same place as the old boiler as well.

No it won't. It's both taller and wider.

Try another make. Duh!!!

Duh yourself. Not noticed you being any help - as usual.

I am helping you no end.

Given

You are an ungrateful plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:33:36 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

A mechanical 3-way blending valve with remote sensor. Danfoss make them.
Look at their site. RAK, etc. The valve and sensor are bought separate.

ITYM RAVK.

Or could use RAVV with a 2-way valve body such as RAV, VMT or VMA.

--
John Stumbles

Who's *really* behind all these conspiracy theories?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:33:36 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

A mechanical 3-way blending valve with remote sensor. Danfoss make them.
Look at their site. RAK, etc. The valve and sensor are bought separate.

ITYM RAVK.

Or could use RAVV with a 2-way valve body such as RAV, VMT or VMA.

Using a 2-way valve body may stop pump flow 100% with the pump pumping on
nothing. Not good. A 3-way diverts the flow to ensure full flow. A 2-way
could be used with a flow switch to switch the pump off if no flow. It may
work out cheaper that way. Or use a Grundfos Alpha pump. Not sure how the
Alpha would respond - it would need a mock-up and observation to observe the
DHW temp stability.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 23:51:17 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

Er no.At least one heat bank model has the plate "inside" the cylinder.
This reduces heat loss and external space taken up by the plate and
pipes.

What model is that?

Nu Heat

This assumes all heat banks destroy stratification in a cylinder. A
modulating pump with spreader pipes in the cylinder does not destroy
stratification.

I agree, but I don't know of any commercially available systems that
control the flow to preserve stratification (a technique which is
mentioned
in the wiki article, incidentally). Are there any?

Gledhill, which also controls the DHW temp by pump modulation.

(I am aware that DPS - and possibly others - use spreader arrangements to
restrict turbulence in the return from the PHE but that doesn't help when
the system is still having to pump round at a rate sufficient for the
maximum DHW demand, even if one's only demanding a dribble of HW.)

The spreaders and baffles do help even on full pumping speed. Speaders
can be DIYed using drilled pipes and drilling out pipe stops in
compression fittings. A 3-way diverter blending valve can be used
sensing the DHW temp, after the plate which pumps into the store on one
port and before the plate on the other. Fully open with full DHW flow and
full flow into the store and reduced (pumping back on itself) if only a
trickle from DHW.

This also ensures that the returned water is quite cool too keep the bottom
of the cylinder cool which is good for condensing efficiency.

Choosing a new boiler? steve Home Repair 4 April 27th 07 02:18 PM
Choosing a new boiler? steve Home Repair 3 April 11th 07 10:36 PM
Help choosing a replacement boiler biccy UK diy 14 November 15th 06 10:33 PM
Choosing new boiler Donwill UK diy 1 July 24th 06 10:57 AM
Choosing a condensing boiler Fuoleum UK diy 19 April 7th 05 11:01 PM