Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Choosing a new boiler?

I've had 3 oil companies out to look at our HB smith boiler.
We had it installed 17 years ago. (the original boiler was about 25 - 30
years old)
Looks like major corrosion between the 3rd and 4th plates.
Everyone says you wouldn't know if its repairable unless they take it apart
and at that point it may never go back together again????
The tankless water heater coil also has major corrosion on the outside so
that would have to be replaced... We had replaced this coil about 7-8 years
ago.

I'm told it may last 5 years or 5 hours, no way to know!!

about $1000 to maybe repair or it looks like $5,000 to replace.

Everyone says the boiler is oversized for the house..

I'm also getting two prices from everyone. One with the tankless water
heater and one with an indirect water heater. A 40 gallon tank that would be
heated by the furnace.

Our install is in a crawlspace. In a pit in the cement floor so our choice
of boiler is somewhat limited to having to fit the space.

I'm waiting for the last quotes to come in for comparison.

Any info on boilers with tankless hot water or the indirect water heater
would be helpful

TIA

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I'd go with any decent cast iron boiler. My preference is Peerless, then
Weil-McLain, then Crown. I think Buderus is fine as well. Whatever I got I'd
want a Beckett burner on it, unless quiet operation is important, then I'd
get a Riello burner. I'd forget about a coil and go with a phase 3 or Weil
McLain Gold Ultra indirect and I'd stay away from Amtrol boiler-mate

"steve" wrote in message
et...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
I'd go with any decent cast iron boiler. My preference is Peerless, then
Weil-McLain, then Crown. I think Buderus is fine as well. Whatever I got

I'd
want a Beckett burner on it, unless quiet operation is important, then I'd
get a Riello burner. I'd forget about a coil and go with a phase 3 or

Weil
McLain Gold Ultra indirect and I'd stay away from Amtrol boiler-mate

One company suggested a Steel boiler...

What would the pros vs cons of the tankless vs waterless be?

Other than replacing it at about $700 a pop, (we would need the 2nd
replacement now)
It has been good at supplying water.
With the boiler in a crawlspace, we would put the indirect tank about 10
feet away in a closet next to the crawlspace. this would allow for a 40
gallon tank.

We havent gotten all the quotes yet but it looks like the indirect will be
about $2000 more than just a boiler with a coil in it...

Thanks

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

See how your other quotes come in. Steel boilers won't last as long as any
cast iron unit. If the coil has been working well, then get another, you can
always add an indirect at a later date, and the labor should be pretty much
the same

"steve" wrote in message
et...

[...]

Help choosing a replacement boiler biccy UK diy 14 November 15th 06 10:33 PM
Choosing new boiler Donwill UK diy 1 July 24th 06 10:57 AM
Choosing a make of combi boiler petergh UK diy 28 February 10th 06 10:54 PM
Choosing a condensing boiler Fuoleum UK diy 19 April 7th 05 11:01 PM
Advice on choosing combi boiler? Col UK diy 2 September 8th 03 08:52 PM