Posted to alt.home.repair
steve steve is offline

Default Choosing a new boiler?

I've had 3 oil companies out to look at our HB smith boiler.
We had it installed 17 years ago. (the original boiler was about 25 - 30
years old)
Looks like major corrosion between the 3rd and 4th plates.
Everyone says you wouldn't know if its repairable unless they take it apart
and at that point it may never go back together again????
The tankless water heater coil also has major corrosion on the outside so
that would have to be replaced... We had replaced this coil about 7-8 years
ago.

I'm told it may last 5 years or 5 hours, no way to know!!

about $1000 to maybe repair or it looks like $5,000 to replace.

Everyone says the boiler is oversized for the house..

I'm also getting two prices from everyone. One with the tankless water
heater and one with an indirect water heater. A 40 gallon tank that would be
heated by the furnace.

Our install is in a crawlspace. In a pit in the cement floor so our choice
of boiler is somewhat limited to having to fit the space.

I'm waiting for the last quotes to come in for comparison.

Any info on boilers with tankless hot water or the indirect water heater
would be helpful

TIA

Steve