Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Choosing a boiler - again.

"Rinnga Dinnga" wrote in message
snip

What a lot of childish drivel! It sounds as if I'm standing in the
playground again. To all of you who are wasting my bandwith with
petty insults... Shut the **** up unless you have anything sensible
to say...

Then either learn how to use your news reader, kill the thread(s) or
kill file those who you consider being childish - with the exception
of Drivel - it will be your loss though...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rinnga Dinnga" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 01:49:31 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Notwithstanding the choice of model, and the presumably
inappropriate technology, Viessmann do make good quality products.

People like you should not presume. If he has a main good enough in
flow/pressure, then the Viessmann 333 is the ideal choice for him.
It will create space too and do away with his pumps all over the
place.

You are a plantpot, just take notice of people who know better than you.
There again don't. Do it all wrong and waste money. Yes, that is what
you need to do.

You appear to be calling yourself a plantpot. For once I agree with you.

What a lot of childish drivel! It sounds as if I'm standing in the
playground again. To all of you who are wasting my bandwith with
petty insults... Shut the **** up unless you have anything sensible
to say...

I totally agree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
Viessman 333 floor mounted stored water (thermal store) combi - can
be DIYed. Top quality. Highly reliable. Simple to install. Then
with high pressure DHW you can get rid of the pump pumping one tap
in the kitchen.
Discount the idea of the Viessman combi then...it cannot be a
solution.
But I'm, fairly sure they do a system version. Even if they don't but
you like Viessman on quality and price, you could still install the
combi with the HW outlet capped off.

Why cap it when it can be used for a power shower.

FFS, I already have a hot water system perfectly suited to my needs -
including two very decent showers.

I *don't* want or need a fooking combi. Is that too difficult for you to
understand?

Don't let drivel get to you..

I wouldn't been dead in a sink estate in South London. I'll never get to
him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 20:57:50 +0100, "RedOnRed" wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article . com,
Tournifreak wrote:
Can I ask why you want to change it? If it's so reliable it seems a
bit odd to get shot of it.

It's some 25 years old and can't go on for ever? And has an efficiency
of
about 80%. My gas bills are over 1000 quid a year so a 20% or so saving
should be cost effective. I'm also intending re-decorating the room it's
in so now would seem the ideal time.

80% efficiency for a 25 year old boiler sounds unusually high. The boiler
we
had replaced a couple years ago wasn't much older then that and was about
55% efficient.

http://www.sedbuk.com/

Look up your boiler and find the correct figures, if it's there.

......and add on wear and tear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vernon" wrote in message

The integral pump in a system boiler should not be a problem, just
replace
the existing pump with a piece of pipe. I strongly advise going to a
sealed system.

What is the advantage of a sealed over an open system?

I am asking as we currently have an ancient Baxi Bermuda back boiler and
are planning on replacing it soon, in our old house we had a Vaillant
combi and it was very good, but in this house there is an airing cupboard
etc etc and er indoors likes the idea of keeping it. As a result I am
looking at getting maybe a Vaillant 418 open boiler vs a system boiler.
From what I can tell the efficiency is not much different?

If you like the combi then go for one. You can always put a small rad in
the airing cupboard and gain all that space by ridding the cylinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rinnga Dinnga wrote:
What a lot of childish drivel! It sounds as if I'm standing in the
playground again. To all of you who are wasting my bandwith with
petty insults... Shut the **** up unless you have anything sensible
to say...

And your 'sensible to say' bit is where?

All I see from you is four posts either complaining about posts or saying
you agree with one.

If you have an answer to my question I'd be pleased to read it. But please
read my requirements - rather than a one size fits all approach so beloved
by the likes of dribble.

--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger wrote:
80% efficiency for a 25 year old boiler sounds unusually high. The
boiler we had replaced a couple years ago wasn't much older then that
and was about 55% efficient.

I think Dave has got that wrong as well. On the SEDBUK database the
Kingfishers in the range 76 - 79% weren't manufactured prior to 1997. My
money would be on the earlier models at 65%.

It was just a rough guess. Last time I looked at SEDBUK the model wasn't
listed - or rather it wasn't obvious.

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rinnga Dinnga wrote:
What a lot of childish drivel! It sounds as if I'm standing in the
playground again. To all of you who are wasting my bandwith with
petty insults... Shut the **** up unless you have anything sensible
to say...

And your 'sensible to say' bit is where?

All I see from you is four posts either complaining about posts or saying
you agree with one.

If you have an answer to my question I'd be pleased to read it.

I gave you the answer, A Viessmann 333. Fine for DIYer and reduces bodging.
We all know it makes sense.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

reenews.net...

Rinnga Dinnga wrote:
What a lot of childish drivel! It sounds as if I'm standing in
the
playground again. To all of you who are wasting my bandwith with
petty insults... Shut the **** up unless you have anything
sensible
to say...

And your 'sensible to say' bit is where?

All I see from you is four posts either complaining about posts or
saying
you agree with one.

If you have an answer to my question I'd be pleased to read it.

I gave you the answer, A Viessmann 333. Fine for DIYer and reduces
bodging. We all know it makes sense.

Is that the Royal 'We', just asking as no one else (other than your
sock-puppets that suddenly surfaced) seems to be agreeing with you -
taking into consideration Dave's requirements.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 19:38:20 +0000 (UTC) Ed Sirett wrote :
But I'm, fairly sure they do a system version. Even if they don't
but you like Viessman on quality and price, you could still install
the combi with the HW outlet capped off.

And on particular house layouts it may be appropriate to let the combi
DHW feed the sink only to eliminate a long dead leg, it otherwise
acting as a conventional boiler.

Always best to have the shower off it, as it never runs out of hot water and
gives high pressures.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rinnga Dinnga wrote:
What a lot of childish drivel! It sounds as if I'm standing in the
playground again. To all of you who are wasting my bandwith with
petty insults... Shut the **** up unless you have anything sensible
to say...

And your 'sensible to say' bit is where?

All I see from you is four posts either complaining about posts or
saying you agree with one.

If you have an answer to my question I'd be pleased to read it.

I gave you the answer, A Viessmann 333. Fine for DIYer and reduces
bodging. We all know it makes sense.

You'd certainly know about bodging. Hacksaw anyone?
However *I'm* capable of fitting a boiler without bodging. But don't see
the need to pay for facilities not wanted or needed.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

reenews.net...

Rinnga Dinnga wrote:
What a lot of childish drivel! It sounds as if I'm standing in the
playground again. To all of you who are wasting my bandwith with
petty insults... Shut the **** up unless you have anything sensible
to say...

And your 'sensible to say' bit is where?

All I see from you is four posts either complaining about posts or
saying
you agree with one.

If you have an answer to my question I'd be pleased to read it.

I gave you the answer, A Viessmann 333. Fine for DIYer and reduces
bodging. We all know it makes sense.

Is that the Royal 'We', just asking as no one else (other than your
sock-puppets that suddenly surfaced) seems to be agreeing with you -
taking into consideration Dave's requirements.

The plantpots requirements, skill level and knowledge were all taken into
account. The Viessmann 333 for him. You really don't know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rinnga Dinnga wrote:
What a lot of childish drivel! It sounds as if I'm standing in the
playground again. To all of you who are wasting my bandwith with
petty insults... Shut the **** up unless you have anything sensible
to say...

And your 'sensible to say' bit is where?

All I see from you is four posts either complaining about posts or
saying you agree with one.

If you have an answer to my question I'd be pleased to read it.

I gave you the answer, A Viessmann 333. Fine for DIYer and reduces
bodging. We all know it makes sense.

You'd certainly know about bodging. Hacksaw anyone?

I do I have see many DIY installations. Sad sight indeed.

However *I'm* capable of fitting a boiler without bodging.

This is impossible indeed.

But don't see
the need to pay for facilities not wanted or needed.

You need simplicity of installation, reliability, flow rate, high pressures,
etc. The 333 gives all that in a great easy to fit one-box. When you sell
the house to go into the care home it will also raise the price too. You had
never heard of the 333 until I mentioned it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

snip

Is that the Royal 'We', just asking as no one else (other than your
sock-puppets that suddenly surfaced) seems to be agreeing with
you - taking into consideration Dave's requirements.

The plantpots requirements, skill level and knowledge were all taken
into account. The Viessmann 333 for him. You really don't know.

If that is true, you wouldn't have a clue how to go about installing
then it as Dave's skill level is way beyond what your capabilities
are - hack-saw anyone?...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

snip

You'd certainly know about bodging. Hacksaw anyone?

I do I have see many DIY installations. Sad sight indeed.

Yes, but all your own installations, seen in the cold light of day
when the house owner insists that you sort out all your f*ck ups.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

...You must choose a boiler, the make it must be right
...it must heat the rads and give hot water out of sight

...The water pressure must be high giving showers all the day
...no cylinders or silly valves that clutter giving dismay

...it must be easy to fit encompased in on box
...no complications for senile ones to confuse and to fox

...a heat bank is ideal, inside a case not tall
...hot water gushes forth just like a waterfall

...the innards must be hidden, giving happiness and glee
...the boiler type is clear to see ....a Viessmann 333

Posted to uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

snip

Is that the Royal 'We', just asking as no one else (other than your
sock-puppets that suddenly surfaced) seems to be agreeing with you -
taking into consideration Dave's requirements.

The plantpots requirements, skill level and knowledge were all taken into
account. The Viessmann 333 for him. You really don't know.

If that is true,

Snip drivel by a plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

snip

You'd certainly know about bodging. Hacksaw anyone?

I do I have see many DIY installations. Sad sight indeed.

Yes,

snip drivel by a plantpot

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I think Dave has got that wrong as well. On the SEDBUK database the
Kingfishers in the range 76 - 79% weren't manufactured prior to 1997. My
money would be on the earlier models at 65%.

It was just a rough guess. Last time I looked at SEDBUK the model wasn't
listed - or rather it wasn't obvious.

In order to find anything manufactured by Potterton (as distinct from P.
Myson and P. Commercial) you need to leave the selection at 'any
manufacturer'.

--
Roger Chapman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
You had never heard of the 333 until I mentioned it.

Of course not. Why would I look at an unsuitable choice? Most have better
things to do than wank over boiler catalogues.

--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

..You

Oh dear - he's found his 'poetry' pills again. Be best if he learnt to
write decent English first.

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
You had never heard of the 333 until I mentioned it.

Of course not. Why would I look at an unsuitable choice?

If you knew what was suitable you would be asking professionals like me on
here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

..You

Oh

Viessmann 333 or W-B HighFlow or a Vokera floor standing, etc, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vernon wrote:
The integral pump in a system boiler should not be a problem, just replace
the existing pump with a piece of pipe. I strongly advise going to a
sealed system.

What is the advantage of a sealed over an open system?

The intro here covers most of them:

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html

I am asking as we currently have an ancient Baxi Bermuda back boiler and are
planning on replacing it soon, in our old house we had a Vaillant combi and
it was very good, but in this house there is an airing cupboard etc etc and
er indoors likes the idea of keeping it. As a result I am looking at getting
maybe a Vaillant 418 open boiler vs a system boiler. From what I can tell
the efficiency is not much different?

Although a good proportion of modern boiler use sealed systems, and
modern boilers are usually more efficient than older ones, it is not the
sealed systems bit that makes the difference in efficiency.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
You had never heard of the 333 until I mentioned it.

Of course not. Why would I look at an unsuitable choice?

If you knew what was suitable you would be asking professionals like me
on here.

You claim to be a professional? Please give details of your qualifications.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger wrote:
The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I think Dave has got that wrong as well. On the SEDBUK database the
Kingfishers in the range 76 - 79% weren't manufactured prior to
1997. My money would be on the earlier models at 65%.

It was just a rough guess. Last time I looked at SEDBUK the model
wasn't listed - or rather it wasn't obvious.

In order to find anything manufactured by Potterton (as distinct from P.
Myson and P. Commercial) you need to leave the selection at 'any
manufacturer'.

OK. There doesn't seem to be data for my exact model, though. Not that it
matters - if simply means I'll save more money in running costs. ;-)

--
*The statement below is true.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
You had never heard of the 333 until I mentioned it.

Of course not. Why would I look at an unsuitable choice?

If you knew what was suitable you would not
be asking professionals like me on here.

You claim to be a professional?

Yep. It is obvious to anyone with brains. Now you should say.."thank you
Dr Drivel, for your advice and I will go out and buy the Viessmann 333".

snip drivel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
You claim to be a professional? Please give details of your
qualifications.

Yep. It is obvious to anyone with brains.

Well, no actually. It's not at all obvious. Quite the reverse, really.

Now you should say.."thank you Dr Drivel, for your advice and I will go
out and buy the Viessmann 333".

If only your qualifications were as true as your name.

--
*What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
You claim to be a professional? Please give details of your
qualifications.

Yep. It is obvious to anyone with brains.

Well, no actually. It's not at all obvious. Quite the reverse, really.

Then you obviously have no brains. Boy! he is dumb!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 22:53:43 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:
Viessman 333 floor mounted stored water (thermal store) combi - can
be DIYed. Top quality. Highly reliable. Simple to install. Then
with high pressure DHW you can get rid of the pump pumping one tap
in the kitchen.

Discount the idea of the Viessman combi then...it cannot be a
solution.

But I'm, fairly sure they do a system version. Even if they don't but
you like Viessman on quality and price, you could still install the
combi with the HW outlet capped off.

Why cap it when it can be used for a power shower.

FFS, I already have a hot water system perfectly suited to my needs -
including two very decent showers.

I *don't* want or need a fooking combi. Is that too difficult for you to
understand?

Dave, I was trying to make a serious and I thought helpful comment.
I understand that you don't want a combi, neither would I.

I was simply trying to point out that if you thought the Viessman was a
good choice then the lack of a system boiler option, if that is the case,
should not hold you back.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 22:49:51 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 14:10:22 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article . com,
Tournifreak wrote:
Can I ask why you want to change it? If it's so reliable it seems a
bit odd to get shot of it.

It's some 25 years old and can't go on for ever? And has an efficiency
of about 80%. My gas bills are over 1000 quid a year so a 20% or so
saving should be cost effective. I'm also intending re-decorating the
room it's in so now would seem the ideal time.

You should get about 15% saving if all the rest of the system is up to
current standards. If you need to add TRVs and/or a wall themrostat
and/or a cylinder thermostat you should get more.

The rest of the system is pretty well state of the art.

How much saving will depend to a certain extent on how you like tonuse the
system. If your existing boiler is room sealed then I'd reckon on you
saving about 15% maybe 20%. With a conventional flued boiler you'd save a
bit more as there tends to be a greater 'draw' on such flues and the
boiler was drag in cold air from outside _into the house_ during operation
in winter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 22:48:38 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:
A 'system' type boiler would not be very practical in this case - the
pump and three port valve etc are situated at the other side of the
room along with the storage cylinder and I'd prefer not to have to
lift the floor to alter pipework.

The integral pump in a system boiler should not be a problem, just
replace the existing pump with a piece of pipe. I strongly advise going
to a sealed system.

OK.

Depending on whether the existing boiler is on an outside wall (Pott
Kingfisher 80 RS) or uses a chimney (Pott Kingfisher 80 CF) then the
approach will need to be different.

RS. The flue will be no problem.

If the flue is difficult then a Keston Celsius 25 is a good choice,
mine's been really reliable over 4 years, but others have not had such
good experience.

Otherwise a suitable Vaillant or Worcester would be fine.

Before taking out the old unit try to measure the gas inlet pressure if
it makes 18 mbar then you should be OK with a modern boiler. Sometimes
older boilers were installed with (grossly) inadequate pipework.

It's got a 28mm feed all the way from the meter with only the last foot or
so in 15mm. The 28mm pipe is also dead straight apart from one 90 degree
bend until the actual boiler connection, so I'd guess can handle
everything the supply can give.

You should be OK but measure it anyway if you can.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 02:48:02 +0000, Vernon wrote:

The integral pump in a system boiler should not be a problem, just replace
the existing pump with a piece of pipe. I strongly advise going to a
sealed system.

What is the advantage of a sealed over an open system?

I am asking as we currently have an ancient Baxi Bermuda back boiler and are
planning on replacing it soon, in our old house we had a Vaillant combi and
it was very good, but in this house there is an airing cupboard etc etc and
er indoors likes the idea of keeping it. As a result I am looking at getting
maybe a Vaillant 418 open boiler vs a system boiler. From what I can tell
the efficiency is not much different?

Please take on board the contents of the SealedCH FAQ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Sorry if you thought that comment was directed at you, Ed, it wasn't.

I was simply trying to point out that if you thought the Viessman was a
good choice then the lack of a system boiler option, if that is the
case, should not hold you back.

Trouble is the size of the thing - as expected when it contains an
unneeded water store. It's too wide for the cupboard and the height would
reduce the 'airing' space considerably. Then there's the cost of paying
for the bits I simply don't need.

--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

..You must choose a boiler, the make it must be right
..it must heat the rads and give hot water out of sight

..The water pressure must be high giving showers all the day
..no cylinders or silly valves that clutter giving dismay

..it must be easy to fit encompased in on box
..no complications for senile ones to confuse and to fox

..a heat bank is ideal, inside a case not tall
..hot water gushes forth just like a waterfall

..the innards must be hidden, giving happiness and glee
..the boiler type is clear to see ....a Viessmann 333

--

Drivel the poet laureate of boilers!

By the way, I noticed one verse where you mentioned "heat bank" i'd like to
know what you meant but I couldn't give a..............................
.......thought to work it out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Trouble is the size of the thing - as expected when it contains an
unneeded water store. It's too wide for the cupboard and the height would
reduce the 'airing' space considerably. Then there's the cost of paying
for the bits I simply don't need.

I think Ed was referring to a "normal" combi version rather than the
storage model. Pricing on that will probably not be much different to a
system version anyway, so it can be a way of getting system boiler
functionality.

Having said that, their range booklet he

http://www.viessmann.co.uk/downloads...geOverview.pdf

Suggests they do have a good number of system boilers to chose from.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RedOnRed" wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

..You must choose a boiler, the make it must be right
..it must heat the rads and give hot water out of sight

..The water pressure must be high giving showers all the day
..no cylinders or silly valves that clutter giving dismay

..it must be easy to fit encompased in on box
..no complications for senile ones to confuse and to fox

..a heat bank is ideal, inside a case not tall
..hot water gushes forth just like a waterfall

..the innards must be hidden, giving happiness and glee
..the boiler type is clear to see ....a Viessmann 333

--

Drivel the poet laureate of boilers!

By the way, I noticed one verse where you mentioned "heat bank" i'd like
to know what you meant but I couldn't give a..............................
......thought to work it out.

A heat bank is a thermal store using a plate heat exchanger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Trouble is the size of the thing - as expected when it contains an
unneeded water store. It's too wide for the cupboard and the height would
reduce the 'airing' space considerably. Then there's the cost of paying
for the bits I simply don't need.

I think Ed was referring to a "normal" combi version rather than the
storage model. Pricing on that will probably not be much different to a
system version anyway, so it can be a way of getting system boiler
functionality.

...and connect the shower to it giving high mains pressures.

Having said that, their range booklet he

http://www.viessmann.co.uk/downloads...geOverview.pdf

Suggests they do have a good number of system boilers to chose from.

They are now well priced too. What the plantpot wants is a direct modern
replacement for the crock he has. He should re-think the system at this
stage, always wise, and use mains pressure water all around, hence a one-box
thermal store/boiler, giving high flowrates that can be DIYed. Viessmann are
not the only makers of these boilers. Vokera and W-B to name a few.

A "direct" replacement? An open vented boiler like the Glow Worm HXi 27 or
28kW (Vaillant inside). S/steel heat exchanger, premix modulating burner.
Good and cheap enough. It also modulates down to 5kW. V good, v reliable, v
quiet and good parts & service availability. They also do a sealed version
as well without the pump inside, last time I looked. The Hxi can also be
sealed by fitting the expansion vessel, etc, externally - a later task if
need be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RedOnRed" wrote in message

[...]

Erm, thanks.

Choosing a new boiler? steve Home Repair 4 April 27th 07 02:18 PM
Choosing a new boiler? steve Home Repair 3 April 11th 07 10:36 PM
Help choosing a replacement boiler biccy UK diy 14 November 15th 06 10:33 PM
Choosing new boiler Donwill UK diy 1 July 24th 06 10:57 AM
Choosing a condensing boiler Fuoleum UK diy 19 April 7th 05 11:01 PM