Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lining underside of flat garage roof

Any tips please on lining underside of garage roof ?
Type of material to use ...... ply or plasterboard ? Cheapness ?
Ease of handling above head - fixing to joists etc.
Job mainly for finising off & not for insulation purposes and to
reflect light when painted.
Thanks for any help
Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"topo" ag @ag.mail.com wrote in message
Any tips please on lining underside of garage roof ?
Type of material to use ...... ply or plasterboard ? Cheapness ?
Ease of handling above head - fixing to joists etc.
Job mainly for finising off & not for insulation purposes and to
reflect light when painted.
Thanks for any help

If you have wooden cross beams then why not staple white fabric across it to
produce an instant light reflector, and light covering.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"topo" ag @ag.mail.com wrote in message
Any tips please on lining underside of garage roof ?
Type of material to use ...... ply or plasterboard ? Cheapness ?
Ease of handling above head - fixing to joists etc.
Job mainly for finising off & not for insulation purposes and to
reflect light when painted.
Thanks for any help

Not something I would do as I find the spaces between the joist useful for
storing bits of timber & pipe etc and as a flat roof is going to leak
eventually I would rather know at the first sign rather than when the
ceiling falls in

Having said that you could use 6mm mdf fixed in place with 1" no 8 screws

You need to cut the panels to size to span the joists and fix extra timbers
between the joists so that all of the edges are supported

Make 2 T shape supports with the leg of the T the height from floor to joist
to hold each sheet whilst fixing

I would paint the sheets before fixing

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

topo wrote:
Any tips please on lining underside of garage roof ?
Type of material to use ...... ply or plasterboard ? Cheapness ?
Ease of handling above head - fixing to joists etc.
Job mainly for finising off & not for insulation purposes and to
reflect light when painted.

9mm plasterboard would be fine for that. Should cost no more than a
fiver a sheet.

To make it easy to board on your own, knock up a deadman prop to hold
the boards in place while you do the screws:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Dead_man_prop

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Jul, 08:58, "TMC" wrote:
"topo" ag @ag.mail.com wrote in message

Any tips please on lining underside of garage roof ?
Type of material to use ...... ply or plasterboard ? Cheapness ?
Ease of handling above head - fixing to joists etc.
Job mainly for finising off & not for insulation purposes and to
reflect light when painted.
Thanks for any help

Not something I would do as I find the spaces between the joist useful for
storing bits of timber & pipe etc and as a flat roof is going to leak
eventually I would rather know at the first sign rather than when the
ceiling falls in

I would agree with Tony. If all you want is a light coloured ceiling,
paint what's there with white emulsion.

I also like the exposed beams for storage. Hammer in a few nails and
you can hang all sorts of things up there.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 05:47:55 GMT, topo ag @ag.mail.com wrote:

Any tips please on lining underside of garage roof ?
Type of material to use ...... ply or plasterboard ? Cheapness ?
Ease of handling above head - fixing to joists etc.
Job mainly for finising off & not for insulation purposes and to
reflect light when painted.
Thanks for any help

Thanks for all the input Guys
Posted to uk.d-i-y

topo wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 05:47:55 GMT, topo ag @ag.mail.com wrote:

Any tips please on lining underside of garage roof ?
Type of material to use ...... ply or plasterboard ? Cheapness ?
Ease of handling above head - fixing to joists etc.
Job mainly for finising off & not for insulation purposes and to
reflect light when painted.
Thanks for any help

Thanks for all the input Guys

plasterboard if it wont get wet.
perrre over the cracks and slap white emulsion on.

Install "Rubber Roofing" on Flat Roof Garage Mike Home Repair 4 April 14th 07 03:15 PM
Insulating flat garage roof Tom UK diy 4 October 3rd 06 05:29 PM
Lofts: insulating underside of roof? [email protected] UK diy 13 June 11th 05 10:59 PM
Really flat garage roof David Starr Home Repair 7 April 19th 05 11:00 PM
Flat Garage Roof. Corner leak. [email protected] UK diy 5 February 7th 05 10:00 AM