Default Flat Garage Roof. Corner leak.

My Garage roof is leaking at a corner.

It's the end of a block of 3 garages. Not joined to a house. THe chip
board roof seems ok.

I guess my three options a

1) Patch the 5ft by 5ft suspect area with felt myself and hope to get a
couple more years out of it.

Comments?
Is there a magic material I can lay over the top that's better than
felt?
I've tried all the product with work for e few months. I want a fix
that's good for a couple of years though.

2) Get a pro to re-do the lot.

What's that gonna cost?
What material should he use? Felt or is there something better?

3) Have a go myself.

Is it tricky? I'm not sure I trust myself to be as neat as the existing
job.

I *suppose* having a proper tiled roof is gonna be thousands.

I'm near Gatwick, West Sussex. Any recommendations for a local firm?

keng

I assume the block of 3 garages are all owned by you.

If water has leaked through to chipboard you can kiss it's ass goodbye.

An average built up flat roof is money down the drain. If you must
patch it then strip back to sound material and repair with piece of
ext. ply and felt patch applied with cold cure adhesive. The difficulty
with patches is making good the join because you generally can't get
under the original layers of felt.

A better job would be to replace with new ply and butyl rubber, average
task for competent d.i.y.but you'll need help for a large area such as
yours. Butyl is okay providing there isn't constant foot traffic.

A much better job would be to investigate option for pitched roof and
tiles. This will depend on the existing structure, foundations etc. but
you can get lightweight tiles for this sort of application. This would
be my choice if planning on staying in present property for some time.

Cost is something you have to determine by asking those who supply
materials/ carry out this sort of repair work. It would be pointless
giving any sort of estimate although forum regulars generally do for
some strange reason.

Greg C

[...]

Oh my gawd, flat roofs.
Nearly all "Pro" flat-roof jobs aren't very Pro at all. Those
that are will cost you plenty. A tiled roof isn't really feasable
in a block where the other two are flat. Even if it was possible
your builder would expect a new Merc from the profits.

A DIY felt patch would seem your best and easiest option. Done
properly a patch will last longer than the rest of the roof. Just
paint on plenty of cold bitumen-type sealant/adhesive then fix
the felt patch with galvanised nails. Put a second, larger patch
over that for extra longevity. Where chipboard decking has gone
soggy cut a piece of thin plywood to go under the patch. Usually
the area requiring repair is fairly obvious. Many flat roofs are
patchwork quilts and you can go on indefinitely like this on a
garage.

If you want a permanent job forget about felt, and avoid the
"rubber sheet" style products like the plague, along with the
salesmen that push them. Also don't be fooled by any claims of a
magic brush-on sealant that lasts several lifetimes because you
might as well apply a coat of varnish.

Glassfibre is the way to go. It would most likely last longer
than the building and once completed cannot leak. It's unaffected
by extremes of weather, won't wear or rot, can be any colour you
choose and is hard to damage even if you need to stand ladders on
it. Not at all difficult for DIY either.

Greg C

Flat Felted Roof N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 7th 05 02:06 AM
Flat roof -- covering holes and soft spots? Neil Covington Home Repair 3 September 21st 04 04:19 PM
Roofing question - hot mop, insulation under bricks on flat roof Rick Cunningham Home Repair 1 July 23rd 04 03:37 PM
Garage - timber for roof trusses Paul UK diy 1 August 18th 03 09:27 AM
flat roof - slope for run off duncan UK diy 3 July 13th 03 02:55 PM