DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lining underside of flat garage roof (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/205215-lining-underside-flat-garage-roof.html)

topo July 1st 07 06:47 AM

Lining underside of flat garage roof

Any tips please on lining underside of garage roof ?
Type of material to use ...... ply or plasterboard ? Cheapness ?
Ease of handling above head - fixing to joists etc.
Job mainly for finising off & not for insulation purposes and to
reflect light when painted.
Thanks for any help

R July 1st 07 08:48 AM

"topo" ag @ag.mail.com wrote in message
Any tips please on lining underside of garage roof ?
Type of material to use ...... ply or plasterboard ? Cheapness ?
Ease of handling above head - fixing to joists etc.
Job mainly for finising off & not for insulation purposes and to
reflect light when painted.
Thanks for any help

If you have wooden cross beams then why not staple white fabric across it to
produce an instant light reflector, and light covering.

TMC July 1st 07 08:58 AM

Lining underside of flat garage roof

"topo" ag @ag.mail.com wrote in message
Any tips please on lining underside of garage roof ?
Type of material to use ...... ply or plasterboard ? Cheapness ?
Ease of handling above head - fixing to joists etc.
Job mainly for finising off & not for insulation purposes and to
reflect light when painted.
Thanks for any help

Not something I would do as I find the spaces between the joist useful for
storing bits of timber & pipe etc and as a flat roof is going to leak
eventually I would rather know at the first sign rather than when the
ceiling falls in

Having said that you could use 6mm mdf fixed in place with 1" no 8 screws

You need to cut the panels to size to span the joists and fix extra timbers
between the joists so that all of the edges are supported

Make 2 T shape supports with the leg of the T the height from floor to joist
to hold each sheet whilst fixing

I would paint the sheets before fixing

Tony

John Rumm July 2nd 07 01:51 AM

topo wrote:
Any tips please on lining underside of garage roof ?
Type of material to use ...... ply or plasterboard ? Cheapness ?
Ease of handling above head - fixing to joists etc.
Job mainly for finising off & not for insulation purposes and to
reflect light when painted.

9mm plasterboard would be fine for that. Should cost no more than a
fiver a sheet.

To make it easy to board on your own, knock up a deadman prop to hold
the boards in place while you do the screws:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Dead_man_prop

--
Cheers,

John.

John July 2nd 07 01:11 PM

On 1 Jul, 08:58, "TMC" wrote:
"topo" ag @ag.mail.com wrote in message

Any tips please on lining underside of garage roof ?
Type of material to use ...... ply or plasterboard ? Cheapness ?
Ease of handling above head - fixing to joists etc.
Job mainly for finising off & not for insulation purposes and to
reflect light when painted.
Thanks for any help

Not something I would do as I find the spaces between the joist useful for
storing bits of timber & pipe etc and as a flat roof is going to leak
eventually I would rather know at the first sign rather than when the
ceiling falls in

I would agree with Tony. If all you want is a light coloured ceiling,
paint what's there with white emulsion.

I also like the exposed beams for storage. Hammer in a few nails and
you can hang all sorts of things up there.

John

topo July 2nd 07 10:52 PM

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 05:47:55 GMT, topo ag @ag.mail.com wrote:

Any tips please on lining underside of garage roof ?
Type of material to use ...... ply or plasterboard ? Cheapness ?
Ease of handling above head - fixing to joists etc.
Job mainly for finising off & not for insulation purposes and to
reflect light when painted.
Thanks for any help

Thanks for all the input Guys

The Natural Philosopher July 3rd 07 02:06 AM

topo wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 05:47:55 GMT, topo ag @ag.mail.com wrote:

Any tips please on lining underside of garage roof ?
Type of material to use ...... ply or plasterboard ? Cheapness ?
Ease of handling above head - fixing to joists etc.
Job mainly for finising off & not for insulation purposes and to
reflect light when painted.
Thanks for any help

Thanks for all the input Guys

plasterboard if it wont get wet.
perrre over the cracks and slap white emulsion on.