Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carbon mnoxide alarm - recommendations?

I want a carbon monoxide alarm to place near my combi boiler. It needs
to be faily loud as the the boiler is in the loft. Can anyone
recommend one that's good value?

Thank you,

Mike D
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just read your other thread. Carbon monoxide is heavier than air. Get
that boiler checked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:05:43 -0000, "
wrote:

Carbon monoxide is heavier than air

Actually it is about 3% lighter than air.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Carbon monoxide is heavier than air

Actually it is about 3% lighter than air.

Sorry, I was thinking of CO2.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike D wrote:

I want a carbon monoxide alarm to place near my combi boiler. It needs
to be faily loud as the the boiler is in the loft. Can anyone
recommend one that's good value?

Just about any of them, I think the one I have on the boat is "First
Alert". It seemed very cheap for the peace of mind and it's ear
shatteringly loud.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike D wrote:
I want a carbon monoxide alarm to place near my combi boiler. It needs
to be faily loud as the the boiler is in the loft. Can anyone
recommend one that's good value?

Budgie?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jun, 23:12, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Mike D wrote:
I want a carbon monoxide alarm to place near my combi boiler. It needs
to be faily loud as the the boiler is in the loft. Can anyone
recommend one that's good value?

Budgie?

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

ferkin ediot. you means a canary!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ups.com...
wrote:
Mike D wrote:
I want a carbon monoxide alarm to place near my combi boiler. It needs
to be faily loud as the the boiler is in the loft. Can anyone
recommend one that's good value?

Budgie?

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

ferkin ediot. you means a canary!!

They're tuned for firedamp (whatever that is).
You'll will need to get it re-calibrated for CO.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gel Gel is offline

Ensure it carries a BS Kitemark on front.
Some in Robert Dyas were recently withdrawn.

See
www.smoke-alarms.co.uk

On 30 Jun, 21:49, Mike D wrote:
I want a carbon monoxide alarm to place near my combi boiler. It needs
to be faily loud as the the boiler is in the loft. Can anyone
recommend one that's good value?

Thank you,

Mike D

Posted to uk.d-i-y
SJP SJP is offline

"Mike D" wrote in message

I want a carbon monoxide alarm to place near my combi boiler. It needs
to be faily loud as the the boiler is in the loft. Can anyone
recommend one that's good value?

Thank you,

Mike D

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7018033.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:49:49 +0100, Mike D
mused:

I want a carbon monoxide alarm to place near my combi boiler. It needs
to be faily loud as the the boiler is in the loft. Can anyone
recommend one that's good value?

I'd look for one that will automaticaly shut off the electical supply
to the boiler if it's tucked out of the way where you might not hear
it.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:49:49 +0100, Mike D wrote:

I want a carbon monoxide alarm to place near my combi boiler. It needs
to be faily loud as the the boiler is in the loft. Can anyone
recommend one that's good value?

Thank you,

Mike D

A CO alarm is an extra level security.

The main idea is to install, operate the boiler does not produce any CO.
Furthermore just about all modern domestic boilers are room sealed and if
installed correctly will have a vanishingly small chance of emitting CO
into the loft or elsewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 17:07:51 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
wrote:

Furthermore just about all modern domestic boilers are room sealed and if
installed correctly will have a vanishingly small chance of emitting CO
into the loft or elsewhere.

That's good to know - thanks. Yes, mine is a fairly modern one (1997),
and it's in the loft which is well-ventilated too, so what with carbon
monoxide being ligter than air, as someone said, I am now less
worried. But I'll get the detector anyway, just as an extra
precaution.

Thanks to all for the help,

Mike D
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Furthermore just about all modern domestic boilers are room sealed and if
installed correctly will have a vanishingly small chance of emitting CO
into the loft or elsewhere.

That's good to know - thanks. Yes, mine is a fairly modern one (1997),
and it's in the loft which is well-ventilated too, so what with carbon
monoxide being ligter than air, as someone said, I am now less
worried. But I'll get the detector anyway, just as an extra
precaution.

Look it's not about CO being lighter than air.

1) The boiler shouldn't make very much at all. If it does the boiler is at
fault.

2) All gases produced by the boiler should be sent outside under all
circumstances. A room sealed boiler achieves this without trying.

3) CO is not (significantly) lighter than air but is likely to be warm
when produced and hence lighter in practice.

It is open flued (and flue less) appliances that need monitoring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lurch
writes
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:49:49 +0100, Mike D
mused:

I want a carbon monoxide alarm to place near my combi boiler. It needs
to be faily loud as the the boiler is in the loft. Can anyone
recommend one that's good value?

I'd look for one that will automaticaly shut off the electical supply
to the boiler if it's tucked out of the way where you might not hear
it.

Good idea.

Aldi had some CO detectors that were made by the exact same company that
badges them for BG but at a quarter the price of the BG ones.
--
Clint Sharp

carbon monoxide alarm Vass UK diy 16 March 20th 07 06:05 PM
carbon monoxide alarm Zephyr Home Repair 40 February 12th 07 10:17 PM
Testing a Carbon Monoxide Alarm Freckles Home Repair 8 February 12th 07 04:28 AM
Alarm System Recommendations Mark UK diy 20 February 19th 05 09:34 PM
Simple cheap wireless personal alarm (not intruder alarm) required Roy Gilbert UK diy 7 May 6th 04 07:46 AM