Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default carbon monoxide alarm

Bought an alarm on Saturday
Sunday morning it goes off
I placed it in the airing cupboard next to the boiler
It does say in the instructions not to place it in temperatures above 40 deg
C.
I've put it outside the cupboard now, reset the alarm
and its not triggering.
So was it the location or do I have a problem?
TIA
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 09:39:32 -0000, "Vass"
mused:

Bought an alarm on Saturday
Sunday morning it goes off
I placed it in the airing cupboard next to the boiler
It does say in the instructions not to place it in temperatures above 40 deg
C.
I've put it outside the cupboard now, reset the alarm
and its not triggering.
So was it the location or do I have a problem?

So, how hot is it in the boiler cupboard then?

What is the boiler, have you had it serviced ever?

Any other problems with it?

Personally I'd avoid putting a CO detector in cupboard with a boiler.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 09:39:32 -0000, "Vass"
mused:

Personally I'd avoid putting a CO detector in cupboard with a boiler.

quick check and "slight" service last december
I will put the detector right outside the cupboard door then

should it be ceiling height or head height?
(is CO2 lighter or heavier than air?)
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:35:57 -0000, "Vass" wrote:

"Lurch" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 09:39:32 -0000, "Vass"
mused:

Personally I'd avoid putting a CO detector in cupboard with a boiler.

quick check and "slight" service last december
I will put the detector right outside the cupboard door then

should it be ceiling height or head height?
(is CO2 lighter or heavier than air?)

Not being funny but didn't it come with instructions ? Personally I would trust
my safety to 2nd hand.

The three I've dealt with lately have suggested about 2m away from the possible
source and at a height of about 1.5m

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:46:52 +0000, Andy Cap wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:35:57 -0000, "Vass" wrote:

"Lurch" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 09:39:32 -0000, "Vass"
mused:

Personally I'd avoid putting a CO detector in cupboard with a boiler.

quick check and "slight" service last december
I will put the detector right outside the cupboard door then

should it be ceiling height or head height?
(is CO2 lighter or heavier than air?)

Not being funny but didn't it come with instructions ? Personally I would trust
my safety to 2nd hand.

The three I've dealt with lately have suggested about 2m away from the possible
source and at a height of about 1.5m

Andy

Whoops - wouldn't !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:

Bought an alarm on Saturday
Sunday morning it goes off
I placed it in the airing cupboard next to the boiler
It does say in the instructions not to place it in temperatures above
40 deg C.
I've put it outside the cupboard now, reset the alarm
and its not triggering.
So was it the location or do I have a problem?
TIA

Does it go off if you put it back in the cupboard but leave the door open?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Vass wrote:

Bought an alarm on Saturday
Sunday morning it goes off
I placed it in the airing cupboard next to the boiler
It does say in the instructions not to place it in temperatures above
40 deg C.
I've put it outside the cupboard now, reset the alarm
and its not triggering.
So was it the location or do I have a problem?
TIA

Does it go off if you put it back in the cupboard but leave the door open?

not tried that, will do exactly that now, watch this space
ta
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
Not being funny but didn't it come with instructions ?

Yes, they just show the potential rooms one shoulf go in, but no height
mentioned

Personally I would trust my safety to 2nd hand.

2nd hand what? Alarm? its brand new (electric with memory)

The three I've dealt with lately have suggested about 2m away from the
possible
source and at a height of about 1.5m

OK ta
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vass" wrote in message
Bought an alarm on Saturday

So was it the location or do I have a problem?

I brought one a few weeks ago for my gas fire which hasn't been serviced
wanted to check CO levels as the cat kept falling asleep in front of it [1]
;-)

Anyway it always reads 0 (zero) whehter at floor level or on top of the
fireplace.

Does anyone know of a way of testing these testers, could I create a bit of
safe CO to see if I can actually get a reading on my digital readout ?

[1] Although I believe this is standard cat behaviour

Posted to uk.d-i-y

should it be ceiling height or head height?
(is CO2 lighter or heavier than air?)
--
Vass

CO2 is heavier than air.
CO is almost the same density as air. This detector is for CO.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 09:39:32 +0000, Vass wrote:

Bought an alarm on Saturday
Sunday morning it goes off
I placed it in the airing cupboard next to the boiler
It does say in the instructions not to place it in temperatures above 40 deg
C.
I've put it outside the cupboard now, reset the alarm
and its not triggering.
So was it the location or do I have a problem?
TIA

Make and Model of boiler?
There's a much better than evens chance the boiler is room-sealed and the
CO detector is serving no function.
IF the boiler isn't (room sealed) then proper checking and regular
servicing is a much better approach than CO detectors anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 09:39:32 +0000, Vass wrote:

Bought an alarm on Saturday
Sunday morning it goes off
I placed it in the airing cupboard next to the boiler
It does say in the instructions not to place it in temperatures above 40
deg
C.
I've put it outside the cupboard now, reset the alarm
and its not triggering.
So was it the location or do I have a problem?
TIA

Make and Model of boiler?
There's a much better than evens chance the boiler is room-sealed and the
CO detector is serving no function.
IF the boiler isn't (room sealed) then proper checking and regular
servicing is a much better approach than CO detectors anyway.

had the local gas man in
he said my balanced flue was not cemented in and the recent wind
may have blown the fumes back in
He says there was no visible evidence of a problem
he relocated my detector just outside the cupboard.
May need to cement that flue in properly
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:37:55 UTC, "whisky-dave"
wrote:

"Vass" wrote in message
Bought an alarm on Saturday

So was it the location or do I have a problem?

I brought one a few weeks ago for my gas fire which hasn't been serviced
wanted to check CO levels as the cat kept falling asleep in front of it [1]
;-)

Anyway it always reads 0 (zero) whehter at floor level or on top of the
fireplace.

Does anyone know of a way of testing these testers, could I create a bit of
safe CO to see if I can actually get a reading on my digital readout ?

Press the test button?

[1] Although I believe this is standard cat behaviour

Indeed.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 09:39:32 +0000, Vass wrote:

Bought an alarm on Saturday
Sunday morning it goes off
I placed it in the airing cupboard next to the boiler
It does say in the instructions not to place it in temperatures above 40 deg
C.
I've put it outside the cupboard now, reset the alarm
and its not triggering.
So was it the location or do I have a problem?
TIA

Make and Model of boiler?
There's a much better than evens chance the boiler is room-sealed and the
CO detector is serving no function.
IF the boiler isn't (room sealed) then proper checking and regular
servicing is a much better approach than CO detectors anyway.

No substitute for servicing however I dispute the claim that the CO
detector is serving no purpose.

1. Something can always go wrong with your boiler
2. People have died of CO poisoning from other properties faulty appliances

g.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does anyone know of a way of testing these testers, could I create a bit of
safe CO to see if I can actually get a reading on my digital readout ?

Press the test button?

That only tests the circuitry though, not the test element itself.

I would love to know a good way of testing the sensors though, I know of
people who have held them near their car exhaust but I have no idea how
this level of CO would compare with the kind of levels you would get in
a property.

I think the official way to test them is to hold a lit cigarette 50cm
away from them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gareth Lowe writes:
No substitute for servicing however I dispute the claim that the CO
detector is serving no purpose.

1. Something can always go wrong with your boiler
2. People have died of CO poisoning from other properties faulty appliances

The problem with them is people start using them as the indication a
boiler needs servicing, and they just aren't anywhere near reliable
enough for that.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" andrew@a17 wrote in message
In article ,
Gareth Lowe writes:
No substitute for servicing however I dispute the claim that the CO
detector is serving no purpose.

1. Something can always go wrong with your boiler
2. People have died of CO poisoning from other properties faulty
appliances

The problem with them is people start using them as the indication a
boiler needs servicing, and they just aren't anywhere near reliable
enough for that.

--
Andrew Gabriel

my in laws was placed in a passage near the bedroom doors (bungalow). anyway
it started going off and they just unplugged it. one day when I went over I
found that when they cooked using the gas hob the thing would register over
120ppm and would be in alarm. I turned the cooker off and went out the same
day and bought a new cooker. never gone off since and always reads zero. So
in my opinion they do work. can't remember the make/model but was certainly
a good buy for them.

Dave

carbon monoxide alarm Zephyr Home Repair 40 February 12th 07 10:17 PM
Testing a Carbon Monoxide Alarm Freckles Home Repair 8 February 12th 07 04:28 AM
Carbon Monoxide poisoning Vass UK diy 17 January 19th 06 11:21 AM
Carbon monoxide Dee UK diy 5 October 5th 05 05:01 PM
Carbon Monoxide Detector F UK diy 18 February 4th 05 01:59 PM