Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Testing a Carbon Monoxide Alarm

How does one go about checking a carbon monoxide alarm to see if it will
sound when carbon monoxide levels are dangerous?

If I placed my alarm on the ground under my cars exhaust when my car is in
idle, would that be an acceptable test?

Thanks,

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 11, 2:59 pm, "Freckles" wrote:
How does one go about checking a carbon monoxide alarm to see if it will
sound when carbon monoxide levels are dangerous?

If I placed my alarm on the ground under my cars exhaust when my car is in
idle, would that be an acceptable test?

Thanks,

Don

Not unless you are still driving that 1967 Impala.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , on Sun, 11
Feb 2007 14:59:37 -0600, Freckles wrote:

How does one go about checking a carbon monoxide alarm to see if it will
sound when carbon monoxide levels are dangerous?

If I placed my alarm on the ground under my cars exhaust when my car is in
idle, would that be an acceptable test?

No, that would just wreck the sensor.

If you *must* have a real test, buy a test kit like "Detectagas", for
about $20.

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to alt.home.repair

The instructions on mine mentioned using a candle or a cigarette. The
level won't trigger the alarm but it will display on the readout.
There is actually a warning to properly extinguish the cigrarette
after the test or it might burn you. Duh.

-rev

On Feb 11, 3:59 pm, "Freckles" wrote:
How does one go about checking a carbon monoxide alarm to see if it will
sound when carbon monoxide levels are dangerous?

If I placed my alarm on the ground under my cars exhaust when my car is in
idle, would that be an acceptable test?

Thanks,

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How does one go about checking a carbon monoxide alarm to see if it will
sound when carbon monoxide levels are dangerous?

If I placed my alarm on the ground under my cars exhaust when my car is in
idle, would that be an acceptable test?

Thanks,

Don

So you don't damage the equipment, I'm guessing you should follow the
directions that came with the detector. I've only noticed that they
require a test button to be be pressed.

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Freckles wrote:
How does one go about checking a carbon monoxide alarm to see if it
will sound when carbon monoxide levels are dangerous?

If I placed my alarm on the ground under my cars exhaust when my car
is in idle, would that be an acceptable test?

Thanks,

Don

They should be good for 5-10 years. I replace mine at five years. Well
actually I do a monkey move up. The oldest one moves to the trash and the
newest on goes right outside the bedrooms with the next newest moving
downstairs. I buy one every five years. I have three years to go.

One has a digital readout. I could bring it down around the furnace -
water heater and I could get a very low reading, but not enough to set it
off.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 11 Feb 2007 13:40:22 -0800, "The Reverend Natural Light"
wrote:

The instructions on mine mentioned using a candle or a cigarette. The
level won't trigger the alarm but it will display on the readout.
There is actually a warning to properly extinguish the cigrarette
after the test or it might burn you. Duh.

It's probably intended for people who don't smoke.

So they don't know how cigarettes work.

-rev

Posted to alt.home.repair

hold it a few feet away from your lawnmower's exhaust. If you car is
working properly, there will not be significant CO output. Small engines
drive them wild.

--
Steve Barker

"Freckles" wrote in message
. ..
How does one go about checking a carbon monoxide alarm to see if it will
sound when carbon monoxide levels are dangerous?

If I placed my alarm on the ground under my cars exhaust when my car is in
idle, would that be an acceptable test?

Thanks,

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The instructions on mine mentioned using a candle or a cigarette. The
level won't trigger the alarm but it will display on the readout.
There is actually a warning to properly extinguish the cigrarette
after the test or it might burn you. Duh.

-rev

If I turn on my gas logs without opening the fireplace damper, the CO
alarm will sound.

On Feb 11, 3:59 pm, "Freckles" wrote:
How does one go about checking a carbon monoxide alarm to see if it will
sound when carbon monoxide levels are dangerous?

If I placed my alarm on the ground under my cars exhaust when my car is in
idle, would that be an acceptable test?

Thanks,

Don

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

carbon monoxide alarm Zephyr Home Repair 40 February 12th 07 10:17 PM
Carbon Monoxide Detectors [email protected] UK diy 3 October 23rd 06 08:16 PM
Carbon Monoxide poisoning ? Colin Wilson UK diy 48 August 19th 06 12:20 PM
Carbon Monoxide poisoning Vass UK diy 17 January 19th 06 11:21 AM
Carbon monoxide Dee UK diy 5 October 5th 05 05:01 PM