Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Should I get any papers for minor electrical work?

Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed but couldn't find any clear answers.

I got a qualified electrician to install an extractor fan in the
kitchen (which required connecting it to the electrical circuit
through the ceiling). I asked the electrician the next day whether he
would give me an installation or minor works certificate. His answer
was that he would need to visit the house again for this and therefore
charge me £38 more.

Should I have expected a free minor works certificate when the
installation was completed? Do the UK electrical regulations require
him to provide one?

Thanks,

Catalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 17:44:03 -0000, "
wrote:

I got a qualified electrician to install an extractor fan in the
kitchen

The fact he is qualified (whatever that may mean) does not mean he is
entitled to issue a Part P certificate. That can be done by someone
with no qualifications whatsoever so long as their company has paid
the appropriate fees. If they haven't paid the fees then the
electrician, no matter how well qualified or experienced, can't issue
the requisite bit of paper. Possibly the £38 is to pay a mate who
works for a Part P company to pop along and nod his head?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:07:56 +0000 (UTC), a particular chimpanzee, Ed
Sirett randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

Adding an extractor to an existing circuit is as far as I know not a
notifiable activity even in a 'special location'.

Adding any new fitting in a kitchen is notifiable. Replacing an
existing one in a kitchen (or bathroom) wouldn't be, neither would
adding a fitting to an existing circuit outside of these locations.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 30, 11:54 pm, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
Adding any new fitting in a kitchen is notifiable. Replacing an
existing one in a kitchen (or bathroom) wouldn't be, neither would
adding a fitting to an existing circuit outside of these locations.

He actually installed a switch fused connection unit to which the
extractor was connected. Doing a bit of search, it looks like this is
a notifiable activity. He hasn't mentioned anything about paperwork
and I assumed he knew what he was doing (that's why I mainly called an
electrician rather than trying to do it myself).

If this is a notifiable activity, is a minor works certificate enough?

Thanks,

Catalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 23:54:28 +0100, Hugo Nebula wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:07:56 +0000 (UTC), a particular chimpanzee, Ed
Sirett randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

Adding an extractor to an existing circuit is as far as I know not a
notifiable activity even in a 'special location'.

Adding any new fitting in a kitchen is notifiable. Replacing an
existing one in a kitchen (or bathroom) wouldn't be, neither would
adding a fitting to an existing circuit outside of these locations.

[I'm registered for Part P with CORGI - other guilds may do things
differently]
Initially there was a option for notifying all sorts of minor works under
self certification. This included adding heating controls and extensions
to existing circuits and other more extensive electrical works.

Last year and this year the option (on the web site), for notifying
electrical work, of "extensions to existing circuits"
has disappeared. I wrongly (?) assumed that some sort of back tracking on
the implementation of the scheme has taken place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 19:27:50 +0000 (UTC), a particular chimpanzee, Ed
Sirett randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

[I'm registered for Part P with CORGI - other guilds may do things
differently]
Initially there was a option for notifying all sorts of minor works under
self certification. This included adding heating controls and extensions
to existing circuits and other more extensive electrical works.

Last year and this year the option (on the web site), for notifying
electrical work, of "extensions to existing circuits"
has disappeared. I wrongly (?) assumed that some sort of back tracking on
the implementation of the scheme has taken place.

AFAIK, CORGI can't 'self-certify' work not directly related to the
installation of a gas appliance.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 22:14:05 +0100, Hugo Nebula wrote:

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 19:27:50 +0000 (UTC), a particular chimpanzee, Ed
Sirett randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

[I'm registered for Part P with CORGI - other guilds may do things
differently]
Initially there was a option for notifying all sorts of minor works under
self certification. This included adding heating controls and extensions
to existing circuits and other more extensive electrical works.

Last year and this year the option (on the web site), for notifying
electrical work, of "extensions to existing circuits"
has disappeared. I wrongly (?) assumed that some sort of back tracking on
the implementation of the scheme has taken place.

AFAIK, CORGI can't 'self-certify' work not directly related to the
installation of a gas appliance.

That's not what I pay umpteen hundreds of quid for!
They are one of the 10 Part P guilds. Are you saying that I can only
install a new kitchen ring final circuit if I also install a boiler at the
same time?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 19:54:00 +0000 (UTC), a particular chimpanzee, Ed
Sirett randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 22:14:05 +0100, Hugo Nebula wrote:

AFAIK, CORGI can't 'self-certify' work not directly related to the
installation of a gas appliance.

They are one of the 10 Part P guilds. Are you saying that I can only
install a new kitchen ring final circuit if I also install a boiler at the
same time?

So say the DCLG
(http://www.communities.gov.uk/index....8&syncNav=1#5). The
only organisations currently able to fully self-certify are BRE, BSI,
ELECSA, NAPIT and NICEIC. CORGI is amongst those who can self-certify
if they do "electrical installation work as an adjunct to or in
connection with their primary work activities - for example, gas
installations, plumbing, kitchen or bathroom fitting...".
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 19:54:00 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
mused:

[...]

Not directly related so no, assuming the previous limiting statement
is correct.

I read it as meaning you can only do works directly related to gas
appliances, e.g. fitting a new circuit to supply to a boiler, but
maybe not an immersion heater circuit.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 22:34:22 +0100, Hugo Nebula wrote:

[...]

That would invariably be the case.
Pedantically I would say that electrical, heating, gas and plumbing works
are an adjunct to my core business of rental property management.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 01:28:19 +0100, Lurch wrote:

[...]

Even if that's the case (and it may well be), it doesn't alter the fact
that the web site only allows me to notify (under the scheme)
CUs, new circuits, partial rewires, special installations.
Maybe the latter is intended for things like new kitchen extractors.

Minor Electrical Question... Sunflowergirl Home Repair 5 December 11th 06 12:23 PM
doing some electrical work Apsteinberg Home Repair 16 October 6th 06 11:57 PM
Electrical Work Ray DeVoe Home Repair 5 July 21st 06 12:08 PM
Doing your own electrical work Dave UK diy 22 November 23rd 05 03:22 PM
Electrical work - would inspector check previously done work? Himanshu Home Repair 4 January 23rd 05 07:04 PM