Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Medway

Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Arthur
writes
Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

Arthur

In case anyone hasn't noticed!...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6602677.stm
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur wrote:
Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

?????????????

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur wrote:
Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

?????????????

Dover != Medway, but
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6602677.stm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:26:21 UTC, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Arthur
writes
Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

In case anyone hasn't noticed!...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6602677.stm

We're nearer to the epicentre than Medway, and all we had was a
jelly-like sideways wobble. Epicentre was in the Channel near Dover;
that's where the damage is.

Mind, charge for travelling time on each call, and stay at a campsite...

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:19:35 +0100, "Arthur"
wrote:

Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

Arthur

that's really ****ing interesting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-28 11:27:11 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Arthur wrote:
Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

?????????????

Didn't the earth move for you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:26:21 UTC, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Arthur
writes
Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

In case anyone hasn't noticed!...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6602677.stm

We're nearer to the epicentre than Medway, and all we had was a
jelly-like sideways wobble. Epicentre was in the Channel near Dover;
that's where the damage is.

Nothing here at all Bob. Not a tremor.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-28 11:27:11 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Arthur wrote:
Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

?????????????

Didn't the earth move for you?

It rarely does these days :-(

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 12:14:39 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:26:21 UTC, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Arthur
writes
Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

In case anyone hasn't noticed!...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6602677.stm

We're nearer to the epicentre than Medway, and all we had was a
jelly-like sideways wobble. Epicentre was in the Channel near Dover;
that's where the damage is.

Nothing here at all Bob. Not a tremor.

Was felt in Essex, apparently. I have to say that I probably wouldn't
have noticed it (or would have put it down to passing traffic) if I
hadn't been lying in bed, with silence all around, when it happened.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman
writes
On 2007-04-28 11:27:11 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Arthur wrote:
Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

?????????????

Didn't the earth move for you?

It rarely does these days :-(

Its all D-I-Y ;--!....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Bob is offline

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Arthur
writes
Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

Arthur

In case anyone hasn't noticed!...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6602677.stm
--
Tony Sayer

The current underground nuclear testing must stop or we will see a major
disaster soon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:26:21 UTC, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Arthur
writes
Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

In case anyone hasn't noticed!...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6602677.stm

We're nearer to the epicentre than Medway, and all we had was a
jelly-like sideways wobble. Epicentre was in the Channel near Dover;
that's where the damage is.

Nothing here at all Bob. Not a tremor.

Of course, it's obvious why. The BBC reports this morning said it
affected 'Kent'. And they outlined 'Kent' in red on their on-screen map.
With a big chunk out of the top.

Yes, they showed the KCC area, omitting the Medway Unitary area. So, the
BBC reports obviously affected the earthquake area!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

Arthur

that's really ****ing interesting.

What charm school did you go to?

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:26:21 UTC, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Arthur
writes
Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

In case anyone hasn't noticed!...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6602677.stm

We're nearer to the epicentre than Medway, and all we had was a
jelly-like sideways wobble. Epicentre was in the Channel near Dover;
that's where the damage is.

Were any shellfish harmed ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-28 18:42:00 +0100, raden said:

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:26:21 UTC, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Arthur
writes
Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

In case anyone hasn't noticed!...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6602677.stm

We're nearer to the epicentre than Medway, and all we had was a
jelly-like sideways wobble. Epicentre was in the Channel near Dover;
that's where the damage is.

Were any shellfish harmed ?

Whitstable is on the other side, and anyway it's the end of the season. :-(

I prefer them from Cancale and Paimpol anyway.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Arthur
writes
Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

Arthur

In case anyone hasn't noticed!...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6602677.stm

Now if only there was a good handyman in that area, they'd make a
fortune....
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article , Andy Hall wrote:

Didn't the earth move for you?

Certaintly did here in folkestone :-/

Given that wasn't exactly a "real" quake (4.3 is nothing really) I'm now
pretty certain I really wouldn't want to live somewhere that has earthquakes
as a common occurance.

Something not very pleasant about finding it difficult to walk across the
dining room with a mug of tea (although I managed to avoid spilling it \o/)

Still, we got off lightly - a slight crack in the plaster that appears
with a bit of digging to be nothing worse than that (I couldn't even say
100% it wasn't there before but SWMBO insists not).

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from raden contains these words:

We're nearer to the epicentre than Medway, and all we had was a
jelly-like sideways wobble. Epicentre was in the Channel near Dover;
that's where the damage is.

Were any shellfish harmed ?

I find it odd that none of the coverage I have seen has as much as
mentioned the Chunnel, not even to say it wasn't harmed in any way. So
is there a cover-up in progress?

--
Roger Chapman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 633264 20070429 073128 Roger wrote:
The message
from raden contains these words:

We're nearer to the epicentre than Medway, and all we had was a
jelly-like sideways wobble. Epicentre was in the Channel near Dover;
that's where the damage is.

Were any shellfish harmed ?

I find it odd that none of the coverage I have seen has as much as
mentioned the Chunnel, not even to say it wasn't harmed in any way. So
is there a cover-up in progress?

--
Roger Chapman

The very first reports stressed that trains in the tunnel were running normally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-29 07:31:28 +0100, Roger said:

The message
from raden contains these words:

We're nearer to the epicentre than Medway, and all we had was a
jelly-like sideways wobble. Epicentre was in the Channel near Dover;
that's where the damage is.

Were any shellfish harmed ?

I find it odd that none of the coverage I have seen has as much as
mentioned the Chunnel, not even to say it wasn't harmed in any way. So
is there a cover-up in progress?

It was mentioned in news reports that it is running normally. I'll
take a look when I go through it later today and let you know.

The only reason that the whole earthquake affair has been and remains
headline news for 2 days is because the news media have deemed that
there is nothing more important going on.

Frankly the death of Rostropovich has far more significance than this does.

It allows them to concoct stories about wartime camaraderie and other nonsense:

***********

"Shepway District Council said two large families and several other
families were being accommodated last night at the authority's
emergency centre."

"More than a dozen people spent the night at Folkestone's Salvation
Army centre. " (I guess there were 14).

"Take Hilary Boorn, 44, who is spending the night at the hostel with
husband Frank and dog Phoebe.

She was warned that her home was in danger from a neighbour's collapsed
chimney and advised to spend the night elsewhere.

So far, she has no complaints.

"I said to an old lady here - this is what the war must have been like,
with everyone taking shelter together.

"They've treated me ever so well. There are nurses here asking how you
are and making sure you have any medication you might need.

"I even had my tea laid on for nothing, and it was ever so nice -
sausages, mashed potatoes and peas, with apple pie and ice cream for
afters. Lovely.

"I can't complain, really. You've got to make the best of these situations."

*********************

I feel sorry for Hilary, I really do, and hope her sausages and mash
were nice. Actually I feel more sorry for Phoebe the dog. We will
probably only have to put up with another few hours of this.

If you look at the photos of the houses with damage, every single
chimney stack shown damaged is on an old house and appears to have
been in a bad state of repair in the first place.

For those people with insurance, perhaps the insurance company will
fork out for work that the occupiers should have done in the first
place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 06:31:28 UTC, Roger
wrote:

The message
from raden contains these words:

We're nearer to the epicentre than Medway, and all we had was a
jelly-like sideways wobble. Epicentre was in the Channel near Dover;
that's where the damage is.

Were any shellfish harmed ?

I find it odd that none of the coverage I have seen has as much as
mentioned the Chunnel, not even to say it wasn't harmed in any way. So
is there a cover-up in progress?

The news did say that services had not been affected.

My conspiracy theory is that it wasn't an earthquake, but a bomb in the
tunnel...epicentre is VERY near the tunnel...and apparently not very
deep...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The message
from raden contains these words:

We're nearer to the epicentre than Medway, and all we had was a
jelly-like sideways wobble. Epicentre was in the Channel near Dover;
that's where the damage is.

Were any shellfish harmed ?

I find it odd that none of the coverage I have seen has as much as
mentioned the Chunnel, not even to say it wasn't harmed in any way. So
is there a cover-up in progress?

The news did say that services had not been affected.

My conspiracy theory is that it wasn't an earthquake, but a bomb in the
tunnel...epicentre is VERY near the tunnel...and apparently not very
deep...

I can report that the trains are running..

I'm also famous:

http://tinyurl.com/25lj6n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger
writes
The message
from raden contains these words:

We're nearer to the epicentre than Medway, and all we had was a
jelly-like sideways wobble. Epicentre was in the Channel near Dover;
that's where the damage is.

Were any shellfish harmed ?

I find it odd that none of the coverage I have seen has as much as
mentioned the Chunnel, not even to say it wasn't harmed in any way. So
is there a cover-up in progress?

It was mentioned on news24 IIRC

and it wasn't

so there isn't

unless ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-29 15:43:14 +0100, raden said:

In message , Roger
writes
The message
from raden contains these words:

We're nearer to the epicentre than Medway, and all we had was a
jelly-like sideways wobble. Epicentre was in the Channel near Dover;
that's where the damage is.

Were any shellfish harmed ?

I find it odd that none of the coverage I have seen has as much as
mentioned the Chunnel, not even to say it wasn't harmed in any way. So
is there a cover-up in progress?

It was mentioned on news24 IIRC

and it wasn't

so there isn't

unless ...

I can report that:

- The trains are running normally

- There weren't any drips of water on the windows of the train.

- The 2003 St. Emilion was passably good.

- The train came out at the other end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-29 14:26:13 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
I can report that the trains are running..
I'm also famous:
http://tinyurl.com/25lj6n

I can't actually find your comment there, but I'll see your Have Your
Say and raise you an Epostcard:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/taysid.../index16.shtml
("Airthrey Loch")

Owain

Currently it's at tab 7; posted at 09:19 BST this morning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:20:21 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I can report that:

- The trains are running normally

- There weren't any drips of water on the windows of the train.

- The 2003 St. Emilion was passably good.

- The train came out at the other end.

Unless you're part of the conspiracy! :-)

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-29 17:27:28 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:20:21 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I can report that:

- The trains are running normally

- There weren't any drips of water on the windows of the train.

- The 2003 St. Emilion was passably good.

- The train came out at the other end.

Unless you're part of the conspiracy! :-)

The St Emilion was not *that* good.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-29 17:27:28 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:20:21 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I can report that:

- The trains are running normally

- There weren't any drips of water on the windows of the train.

- The 2003 St. Emilion was passably good.

- The train came out at the other end.

Unless you're part of the conspiracy! :-)

The St Emilion was not *that* good.....

I can't drink lager on trains

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Well, I found them quite amusing when working in California,
as someone who hadn't grown up being used to them.
Of course, buildings in such areas are designed to handle
them. Even fairly notable ones which leave all the lights
and blinds swinging and creaking sounds from the building
didn't ever result in any plaster cracks that I noticed.
I think the largest was a 5.2 which was a couple of miles
away. It trashed the K-mart due to setting off the sprinklers
and burned down someones house due to a fractured gas pipe,
but apart from that, there was nothing to show for it in the
area. There were larger ones, but they were further away.

I was in Taiwan in Sep 1999 when the 7.6 quake hit. It was 1.50am and I
was in bed trying to sleep (jetlag). First it went quiet as the aircon
stopped, then the room started shaking (8th floor of a hotel). I tried
to stand up but couldn't. The sliding wardrobe doors were swaying
backwards and forwards, making a huge racket. After a min or so it
stopped. At first the hotel reception said that it was just a normal
shake - nothing to worry about. 15 mins later they put out a message for
everybody to go to the lobby. Some of the rooms at the top of the hotel
had been trashed. Outside there was no obvious signs of any damage,
apart from the power cuts. It was hard to believe over 2000 people died.

I've been back several times since, and have experienced smaller shocks,
but I still find it a completely un-nerving experience. The locals, of
course, are much more relaxed about it.

Kevin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-30 08:23:48 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-04-29 17:27:28 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:20:21 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I can report that:

- The trains are running normally

- There weren't any drips of water on the windows of the train.

- The 2003 St. Emilion was passably good.

- The train came out at the other end.

Unless you're part of the conspiracy! :-)

The St Emilion was not *that* good.....

I can't drink lager on trains

There's no answer to that, there really isn't...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-30 08:23:48 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-04-29 17:27:28 +0100, "Bob Eager" said:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:20:21 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

I can report that:

- The trains are running normally

- There weren't any drips of water on the windows of the train.

- The 2003 St. Emilion was passably good.

- The train came out at the other end.

Unless you're part of the conspiracy! :-)

The St Emilion was not *that* good.....

I can't drink lager on trains

There's no answer to that, there really isn't...

Well, I know St.Artois gives me a headache
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stuart Noble
writes

Unless you're part of the conspiracy! :-)

The St Emilion was not *that* good.....

I can't drink lager on trains

There's no answer to that, there really isn't...

Well, I know St.Artois gives me a headache

Yeah - after about 20 ...

I discovered that Hungarian Schnapps is bad for the head - I tripped
over on Saturday night at next door's BBQ and decked it face first on
the gravel PAAF

My face is a bit of a mess ATM

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-30 20:21:27 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-04-30 08:23:48 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-04-29 17:27:28 +0100, "Bob Eager"
wrote:
I can report that:

- The trains are running normally

- There weren't any drips of water on the windows of the train.

- The 2003 St. Emilion was passably good.

- The train came out at the other end.

Unless you're part of the conspiracy! :-)

The St Emilion was not *that* good.....

I can't drink lager on trains

There's no answer to that, there really isn't...

Well, I know St.Artois gives me a headache

Yes, it is urinous.

What? You mean the seventh planet in our solar system is made of lager??

St Emilion? Is that like Tesco's own label claret but at 20 times the
price?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-30 23:41:56 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

There's no answer to that, there really isn't...
Well, I know St.Artois gives me a headache

Yes, it is urinous.

What? You mean the seventh planet in our solar system is made of lager??

I'd lager not think about that.

St Emilion? Is that like Tesco's own label claret but at 20 times the
price?

It could well be, although generally if something can be sold as a
specific thing, it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

St Emilion? Is that like Tesco's own label claret but at 20 times the
price?

It could well be, although generally if something can be sold as a
specific thing, it is.

I was given to understand when I was but a youth that if it actually
said 'claret' on the bottle it probably wasn't, but that was before the
advent of the Trades Descriptions Act. :-)

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-01 18:22:34 +0100, Roger said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

St Emilion? Is that like Tesco's own label claret but at 20 times the
price?

It could well be, although generally if something can be sold as a
specific thing, it is.

I was given to understand when I was but a youth that if it actually
said 'claret' on the bottle it probably wasn't, but that was before the
advent of the Trades Descriptions Act. :-)

I prefer in any case where possible to select an individual chateau...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-05-01 18:22:34 +0100, Roger said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

St Emilion? Is that like Tesco's own label claret but at 20 times

price?

It could well be, although generally if something can be sold as a
specific thing, it is.

I was given to understand when I was but a youth that if it actually
said 'claret' on the bottle it probably wasn't, but that was before the
advent of the Trades Descriptions Act. :-)

I prefer in any case where possible to select an individual chateau...

I bet you're sipping Chateau Blue Nun, as you type ...

--
geoff