Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Medway

On 2007-04-29 07:31:28 +0100, Roger said:

The message
from raden contains these words:

We're nearer to the epicentre than Medway, and all we had was a
jelly-like sideways wobble. Epicentre was in the Channel near Dover;
that's where the damage is.

Were any shellfish harmed ?

I find it odd that none of the coverage I have seen has as much as
mentioned the Chunnel, not even to say it wasn't harmed in any way. So
is there a cover-up in progress?

It was mentioned in news reports that it is running normally. I'll
take a look when I go through it later today and let you know.

The only reason that the whole earthquake affair has been and remains
headline news for 2 days is because the news media have deemed that
there is nothing more important going on.

Frankly the death of Rostropovich has far more significance than this does.

It allows them to concoct stories about wartime camaraderie and other nonsense:

***********

"Shepway District Council said two large families and several other
families were being accommodated last night at the authority's
emergency centre."

"More than a dozen people spent the night at Folkestone's Salvation
Army centre. " (I guess there were 14).

"Take Hilary Boorn, 44, who is spending the night at the hostel with
husband Frank and dog Phoebe.

She was warned that her home was in danger from a neighbour's collapsed
chimney and advised to spend the night elsewhere.

So far, she has no complaints.

"I said to an old lady here - this is what the war must have been like,
with everyone taking shelter together.

"They've treated me ever so well. There are nurses here asking how you
are and making sure you have any medication you might need.

"I even had my tea laid on for nothing, and it was ever so nice -
sausages, mashed potatoes and peas, with apple pie and ice cream for
afters. Lovely.

"I can't complain, really. You've got to make the best of these situations."

I feel sorry for Hilary, I really do, and hope her sausages and mash
were nice. Actually I feel more sorry for Phoebe the dog. We will
probably only have to put up with another few hours of this.

If you look at the photos of the houses with damage, every single
chimney stack shown damaged is on an old house and appears to have
been in a bad state of repair in the first place.

For those people with insurance, perhaps the insurance company will
fork out for work that the occupiers should have done in the first
place.