Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Medway

On 2007-05-01 22:37:51 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
I prefer in any case where possible to select an individual chateau...

I pick the one with the prettiest label that costs 3.99 or 4.99.

All that glitters is not gold.....

If I don't like it, Tesco will refund provided I haven't drunk more
than a glass.

They also have a machine at the door which will weigh me and calculate
my body fat if I cross its slot with silver. Admittedly Berry Bros and
Rudd's scales are free, but Tesco doesn't write my weight in a book for
future generations to see.

I wouldn't buy anything from BBR either......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-05-01 18:22:34 +0100, Roger said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

St Emilion? Is that like Tesco's own label claret but at 20 times
price?

It could well be, although generally if something can be sold as a
specific thing, it is.
I was given to understand when I was but a youth that if it actually
said 'claret' on the bottle it probably wasn't, but that was before the
advent of the Trades Descriptions Act. :-)

I prefer in any case where possible to select an individual chateau...

I bet you're sipping Chateau Blue Nun, as you type ...

Oh yuk. Is that stuff still on the market or is it now sold by
Halfords for use in windscreen washer bottles?

I was just trying to remember what that equally urinous pink muck from
Portugal was that was the staple offering of places selling prawn
cocktail, third rate steak and synthetic Black Forest gateau that was
fashionable in the 60s and 70s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-02 06:40:55 +0100, Peter Elsden said:

In article , Andy Hall writes

I was just trying to remember what that equally urinous pink muck from
Portugal was that was the staple offering of places selling prawn
cocktail, third rate steak and synthetic Black Forest gateau that was
fashionable in the 60s and 70s.

Mateus rose?

Might have been. Funny shaped bottle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 May 2007 04:54:57 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2007-05-01 22:37:51 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
I prefer in any case where possible to select an individual chateau...

I pick the one with the prettiest label that costs 3.99 or 4.99.

All that glitters is not gold.....

pendant

....glistens...

/pedant

:-)

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-02 11:43:37 +0100, Frank Erskine

On 2007-05-01 22:37:51 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
I prefer in any case where possible to select an individual chateau...

I pick the one with the prettiest label that costs 3.99 or 4.99.

All that glitters is not gold.....

pendant

...glistens...

/pedant

:-)

Did you mean 'pedant' or 'pendant' ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-02 10:41:28 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
I was just trying to remember what that equally urinous pink muck from
Portugal was that was the staple offering of places selling prawn
cocktail, third rate steak and synthetic Black Forest gateau that was
fashionable in the 60s and 70s.

And in the 1980s in Aberystwyth...

Owain

I remember staying in a hotel in Bangor in the early 70s and the staff
were dressed in 30s style - no it wasn't retro either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 May 2007 12:41:34 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2007-05-02 11:43:37 +0100, Frank Erskine

On 2007-05-01 22:37:51 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
I prefer in any case where possible to select an individual chateau...

I pick the one with the prettiest label that costs 3.99 or 4.99.

All that glitters is not gold.....

pendant

...glistens...

/pedant

:-)

Did you mean 'pedant' or 'pendant' ?

Probably!

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
It could well be, although generally if something can be sold as a
specific thing, it is.
I was given to understand when I was but a youth that if it actually
said 'claret' on the bottle it probably wasn't, but that was before the
advent of the Trades Descriptions Act. :-)
I prefer in any case where possible to select an individual
chateau...

I bet you're sipping Chateau Blue Nun, as you type ...

Oh yuk. Is that stuff still on the market or is it now sold by
Halfords for use in windscreen washer bottles?

I was just trying to remember what that equally urinous pink muck from
Portugal was that was the staple offering of places selling prawn
cocktail, third rate steak and synthetic Black Forest gateau that was
fashionable in the 60s and 70s.

The one in the oval bottle ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-02 20:04:26 +0100, raden said:

In message , Andy Hall writes
It could well be, although generally if something can be sold as a
specific thing, it is.
I was given to understand when I was but a youth that if it actually
said 'claret' on the bottle it probably wasn't, but that was before the
advent of the Trades Descriptions Act. :-)
I prefer in any case where possible to select an individual chateau...

I bet you're sipping Chateau Blue Nun, as you type ...

Oh yuk. Is that stuff still on the market or is it now sold by
Halfords for use in windscreen washer bottles?

I was just trying to remember what that equally urinous pink muck from
Portugal was that was the staple offering of places selling prawn
cocktail, third rate steak and synthetic Black Forest gateau that was
fashionable in the 60s and 70s.

The one in the oval bottle ?

Exactly. Old ladies would like lamps made out of these by sticking
stamps all over them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-05-02 20:04:26 +0100, raden said:

In message , Andy Hall writes
[...]

As someone said Mateus Rose

Franconian white wines use a similar shaped bottle

.... and to quote a German friend

"Geoff, the only thing our bloody Franconian wine is good for, is
putting on your bloody fish and chips"

.... they drink beer south of Wurtzburg

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-02 11:43:37 +0100, Frank Erskine

On 2007-05-01 22:37:51 +0100, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
I prefer in any case where possible to select an individual chateau...

I pick the one with the prettiest label that costs 3.99 or 4.99.

All that glitters is not gold.....

pendant

...glistens...

/pedant

:-)

Did you mean 'pedant' or 'pendant' ?

....Hangs head in shame... :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-05-02 20:04:26 +0100, raden said:

In message , Andy Hall writes
[...]

and further south, over the Alps it's used in car windscreen washer bottles.