Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Medway Handy Van

Someone asked for photos of the racking, so here they are;
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1171126789.pbw

The vertical shelf unit holding the flat boxes is a temporary botch up from
scrap ply - wanted to make sure it was practical. I will make a proper one
when I have time. My folding step stool & folding ladder live behind it.

The shelf unit going across the van holds power tools underneath and four
IKEA plastic bins on top. These hold stuff like Gripfil, silicone etc,
plumbing fittings, electrical accessories. The black bins to the left have
very light stuff in - washers, 'O' rings, ball valve kits etc.

Bit of a pain getting the ladder out and sometimes the power tools in the
right of the rack; it holds SDS Drill, router, planer, circ saw, cordless
nailer. I may replace my circ saw soon - hopefully for one in a smaller
case.

All seems to work OK so far, but any suggestions welcome.

Well pleased with the van, Renault Kangoo. 1461cc direct rail diesel. Much
quicker that I imagined it would be, very comfy & appears to run on fresh
air. I put £25 in last Saturday & still have a third of it left.

I'm really pleased I spent the extra on the sign writing. Got it done late
Monday afternoon, had 1 job & 2 enquiries so far.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 8:44�pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Someone asked for photos of the racking, so here they are;http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../Handy%20Van/?...

[...]

And now that the contents have been analysed by half a dozen local tea
leaves you might consider the weight that your tools add to the daily
grind.

I worked out that my kit costs something in the range of 100Kgms, so
does yours by the look of it. If you could work out what you need for
the jobs you will be dooing that day you could save a bi more on fuel
and a lot more in security.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Someone asked for photos of the racking, so here they are;
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1171126789.pbw

What happened about that bloke who was trying to trade on your name?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Someone asked for photos of the racking, so here they are;
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1171126789.pbw

What happened about that bloke who was trying to trade on your name?

--
Skipweasel

Looks good dave, nice to see the graphics turn out sharp.

--
Regards

Steve Dawson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 23:25, "Stephen Dawson" wrote:
"Guy King" wrote in message

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Someone asked for photos of the racking, so here they are;
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../Handy%20Van/?...

What happened about that bloke who was trying to trade on your name?

--
Skipweasel

Looks good dave, nice to see the graphics turn out sharp.

--
Regards

Steve Dawson

Dont know too much 'bout this but is it illegal/silly not to
have a partition/ mesh between driver compartment and rest of the van?
might get the ol'e circ saw across the back of the head upon sudden
braking?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ps.com...
"Guy King" wrote in message

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Someone asked for photos of the racking, so here they are;
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../Handy%20Van/?...

What happened about that bloke who was trying to trade on your name?

--
Skipweasel

Looks good dave, nice to see the graphics turn out sharp.

--
Regards

Steve Dawson

Dont know too much 'bout this but is it illegal/silly not to
have a partition/ mesh between driver compartment and rest of the van?
might get the ol'e circ saw across the back of the head upon sudden
braking?

I don't know wheter it is law or not, but we have full bulkheads in our vans
just in case

--
Rgds

Steve Dawson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 09:10:08 GMT, "Stephen Dawson"
wrote:

|!
|!"kontiki" wrote in message
oups.com...
|! On 10 Feb, 23:25, "Stephen Dawson" wrote:
|! "Guy King" wrote in message
|!
|! ...
|!
|! The message
|! from "The Medway Handyman" contains
|! these words:
|!
|! Someone asked for photos of the racking, so here they are;
|! http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../Handy%20Van/?...
|!
|! What happened about that bloke who was trying to trade on your name?
|!
|! --
|! Skipweasel
|! Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
|!
|! Looks good dave, nice to see the graphics turn out sharp.
|!
|! --
|! Regards
|!
|! Steve Dawson
|!
|! Dont know too much 'bout this but is it illegal/silly not to
|! have a partition/ mesh between driver compartment and rest of the van?
|! might get the ol'e circ saw across the back of the head upon sudden
|! braking?
|!
|!
|!I don't know wheter it is law or not, but we have full bulkheads in our vans
|!just in case

There is a law about fitting luggage restraint loops in estate cars and the
like. We carry a 13kg bottle of LPG in the back of our estate, *well*
secured with luggage straps. It would be difficult to secure all heavy
tools etc. in the back of a van with straps.
---
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org
For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/
also PG Nos 2888, 3232, 17472, 17799
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|!|!"kontiki" wrote in message

oups.com...
|! On 10 Feb, 23:25, "Stephen Dawson" wrote:
|! "Guy King" wrote in message
|!
.. .
|!
|! The message
|! from "The Medway Handyman" contains
|! these words:
|!
|! Someone asked for photos of the racking, so here they are;
|! http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../Handy%20Van/?...
|!
|! What happened about that bloke who was trying to trade on your name?
|!
|! --
|! Skipweasel
|! Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
|!
|! Looks good dave, nice to see the graphics turn out sharp.
|!
|! --
|! Regards
|!
|! Steve Dawson
|!
|! Dont know too much 'bout this but is it illegal/silly not to
|! have a partition/ mesh between driver compartment and rest of the van?
|! might get the ol'e circ saw across the back of the head upon sudden
|! braking?
|!
|!
|!I don't know wheter it is law or not, but we have full bulkheads in our vans
|!just in case

There is a law about fitting luggage restraint loops in estate cars and the
like. We carry a 13kg bottle of LPG in the back of our estate, *well*
secured with luggage straps. It would be difficult to secure all heavy
tools etc. in the back of a van with straps.
---
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!http://www.gutenberg.org
For Yorkshire Dialect go towww.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/
also PG Nos 2888, 3232, 17472, 17799

You should have a mesh between you and the tools just as a security
precaution. I would suggest another padlocked inside the back door(s)
too as vehicle doors are notoriously susceptible to thieves.

If I lived anywhere near a region where thieves smash and grab, I'd
fit them on the windows too.

Road mattress mesh is light, large and strong I don't know how cheap
though. It hinders viewing very little and can be easily fitted after
painting some neutral colour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|!|!"kontiki" wrote in message

oups.com...
|! On 10 Feb, 23:25, "Stephen Dawson" wrote:
|! "Guy King" wrote in message
|!
.. .
|!
|! The message
|! from "The Medway Handyman" contains
|! these words:
|!
|! Someone asked for photos of the racking, so here they are;
|! http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../Handy%20Van/?...
|!
|! What happened about that bloke who was trying to trade on your name?
|!
|! --
|! Skipweasel
|! Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
|!
|! Looks good dave, nice to see the graphics turn out sharp.
|!
|! --
|! Regards
|!
|! Steve Dawson
|!
|! Dont know too much 'bout this but is it illegal/silly not to
|! have a partition/ mesh between driver compartment and rest of the van?
|! might get the ol'e circ saw across the back of the head upon sudden
|! braking?
|!
|!
|!I don't know wheter it is law or not, but we have full bulkheads in our vans
|!just in case

There is a law about fitting luggage restraint loops in estate cars and the
like. We carry a 13kg bottle of LPG in the back of our estate, *well*
secured with luggage straps. It would be difficult to secure all heavy
tools etc. in the back of a van with straps.
---
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!http://www.gutenberg.org
For Yorkshire Dialect go towww.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/
also PG Nos 2888, 3232, 17472, 17799

You should have a mesh between you and the tools just as a security
precaution. I would suggest another padlocked inside the back door(s)
too as vehicle doors are notoriously susceptible to thieves.

If I lived anywhere near a region where thieves smash and grab, I'd
fit them on the windows too.

Road mattress mesh is light, large and strong I don't know how cheap
though. It hinders viewing very little and can be easily fitted after
painting some neutral colour.

Don't you get a removable bulkhead with the van?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Someone asked for photos of the racking, so here they are;
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1171126789.pbw

What happened about that bloke who was trying to trade on your name?

Wasn't my name he nicked but the exact phrases & wording from my website. I
sent him a snotty e-mail and his site had changed within a few hours.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

And now that the contents have been analysed by half a dozen local tea
leaves you might consider the weight that your tools add to the daily
grind.

I worked out that my kit costs something in the range of 100Kgms, so
does yours by the look of it. If you could work out what you need for
the jobs you will be dooing that day you could save a bi more on fuel
and a lot more in security.

I did that for nearly a year. Constsntly found I didn't have the right kit
for the job. That's why I went for the van.

The security aspect is something I've given a bit of thought to. The van
has dedlocks on all three doors & an alarm - the sort that detects motion.
It's backed onto my gravel drive every night under the security light.

That's why I want the wire rope locks, to go through the handles of the
power tool cases.

So, if they sneak up the drive without crunching, evade the light, jemmy
open the doors, defeat the alarm - they have another obstacle.

I realise I can't make it 100% secure, but I want to make it as difficult as
possible.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
So, if they sneak up the drive without crunching,

by walking up the brick edging

evade the light,

spray paint, if they bother about it at all

jemmy open the doors,

Without a bulkhead between the cab and body, it would be sufficient to break
a door window.

defeat the alarm

Most car thieves know how to do that. Alternatively, they trigger it a
couple of times every night until it gets left off.

- they have another obstacle....

which will have been visible through the windows, so they will have double
action bolt cutters with them.

You really need to do what you claim - remove all tools every night.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Weatherlawyer wrote:

And now that the contents have been analysed by half a dozen
local tea leaves you might consider the weight that your tools
add to the daily grind.

Some tea leafs went around an estate here doing all
vans. They entered by removing the windscreens, and
apparently no windscreen was damaged.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How much did the sign writing cost ???

Did you have to do any of the graphic layout yourself up front etc
etc.

I'm really pleased I spent the extra on the sign writing. Got it done late
Monday afternoon, had 1 job & 2 enquiries so far.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" nightjar@ insert my surname here.uk.com wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
So, if they sneak up the drive without crunching,

by walking up the brick edging

evade the light,

spray paint, if they bother about it at all

jemmy open the doors,

Without a bulkhead between the cab and body, it would be sufficient to break
a door window.

defeat the alarm

Most car thieves know how to do that. Alternatively, they trigger it a
couple of times every night until it gets left off.

- they have another obstacle....

which will have been visible through the windows, so they will have double
action bolt cutters with them.

The rear windows are blacked out, if there was a bulkhead, then there
would be nothing really visible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 20:44, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
[...]

There's a diversification opportunity here. You could sell space on
the van or do franchising

- Medway Handy Tan for the local UV tube place

- Medway Handy Lan for a cabling business

- Medway Handy Fan for air conditioning

- Medway Handy Pan for food to go

- Medway Handy San for cleaning

The possibilities are endless

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There's a diversification opportunity here. You could sell space on
the van or do franchising

- Medway Handy Tan for the local UV tube place

- Medway Handy Lan for a cabling business

- Medway Handy Fan for air conditioning

- Medway Handy Pan for food to go

- Medway Handy San for cleaning

The possibilities are endless

You don't listen to Terry Wogan in a morning do you?. This getting like the
Swimarama G.

DAve
--
Foot Massage @ Home
Luxurious, foot massage in Worcestershire
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

You really need to do what you claim - remove all tools every night.

Or build a secure garage to store the whole thing in...

Difficult thing is, when the vehicle becomes your "shed on wheels" the
practical implications of removing and replacing all the kit twice a day
becomes a logistical nightmare. It also assumes you have somewhere more
secure to store what you take out.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:20:58 UTC, "
wrote:

There's a diversification opportunity here. You could sell space on
the van or do franchising

- Medway Handy Tan for the local UV tube place

- Medway Handy Lan for a cabling business

- Medway Handy Fan for air conditioning

- Medway Handy Pan for food to go

- Medway Handy San for cleaning

The possibilities are endless

- Medway Handy Can for portable toilets

- Medway Handy Nan for baby sitting etc.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:20:58 UTC, "
wrote:

There's a diversification opportunity here. You could sell space on
the van or do franchising

- Medway Handy Tan for the local UV tube place

- Medway Handy Lan for a cabling business

- Medway Handy Fan for air conditioning

- Medway Handy Pan for food to go

- Medway Handy San for cleaning

The possibilities are endless

- Medway Handy Can for portable toilets

- Medway Handy Nan for baby sitting etc.

- Medway Handy Ban..a quick service to implement legislation faster than
Tony Bliar can say 'let's move on'

- Medway Handy Tan, the local sunlamp suppliers,..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Wasn't my name he nicked but the exact phrases & wording from my
website. I
sent him a snotty e-mail and his site had changed within a few hours.

Oh, well done.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

- Medway Handy Tan, the local sunlamp suppliers,..

Medway Handy Dan - the local karate club.

Medway Handy Han - the local Confuscian dynasty

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

You really need to do what you claim - remove all tools every night.

Or build a secure garage to store the whole thing in...

Something my van contents insists upon, if anything is left in the van
overnight.

Difficult thing is, when the vehicle becomes your "shed on wheels" the
practical implications of removing and replacing all the kit twice a day
becomes a logistical nightmare. It also assumes you have somewhere more
secure to store what you take out.

As a car mechanic I know discovered, it suddenly becomes much less of a
logistical nightmare after someone nicks several grands' worth of tools from
the van. He uses a tool vault, which locks into a frame in the van by day
and into another one that is bolted to a concrete floor in a secure store
overnight.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
The rear windows are blacked out, if there was a bulkhead, then there
would be nothing really visible.

It looks to me as though the back doors are without windows, rather than
having blacked out windows. A steel front bulkhead certainly would make it a
lot more secure. I would fit a Bulldog or Kryptonite van door lock as well
though.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Dawson" wrote in message

"kontiki" wrote in message
ps.com...

Dont know too much 'bout this but is it illegal/silly not to
have a partition/ mesh between driver compartment and rest of the van?
might get the ol'e circ saw across the back of the head upon sudden
braking?

In one of the pictures, you can just see a couple of black bars behind the
driver's seat, which is probably the load restraint frame fitted by the
manufacturer.

I don't know wheter it is law or not, but we have full bulkheads in our
vans just in case

The one in mine has a large dent, collected when a pallet load of goods
broke loose and fetched up against it in an emergency stop.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Don't you get a removable bulkhead with the van?

It is usually an optional extra. I always have one fitted both for security
and because, particularly with a large van, it makes the cab much more
comfortable in winter if you are not trying to heat the load space.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:44:06 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Someone asked for photos of the racking, so here they are;
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...1171126789.pbw

Grrr! Site requires flash 8 - which isn't available for Linux.

I sense a market for an open-source-friendly handyman :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote in message
news
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:44:06 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Someone asked for photos of the racking, so here they are;

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...20Van/?action=
view&current=1171126789.pbw

Grrr! Site requires flash 8 - which isn't available for Linux.

Then try
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/Handy%20Van/
or
http://tinyurl.com/2gnu6r

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 12, 12:29 am, John Stumbles wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:44:06 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Someone asked for photos of the racking, so here they are;
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../Handy%20Van/?...

Grrr! Site requires flash 8 - which isn't available for Linux.

I sense a market for an open-source-friendly handyman :-)

Flash 9 is available for Linux!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

luke58 wrote:
How much did the sign writing cost ???

Did you have to do any of the graphic layout yourself up front etc
etc.

It came to just under £260 inc VAT.

I went along to the sign place and sat next to the guy. He called up an
outline drawing (three sides) of the Renault Kangoo (the program has almost
every car & van made in it's database).

He already had my logo as a JPEG. I told him what I wanted & where & what
font. He just typed it into boxes & drag & dropped it to where it was meant
to go, & resized it accordingly. Just like using a photo editing program.

Once I was happy he printed me a copy.

I booked the van in for Monday afternoon and the signs were already printed
& cut ready to go on, took about an hour to do.

Dead simple really.

Had two more jobs come in today as a result of pe
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman