Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nice jewellery - no drawers !

Hi All

I'm looking for something which I'm sure 'somebody' makes / sells
- but I can't seem to find one anywhere...

There's never enough space on my market stall to display 'all' of the
hand-made glass jewellery that I have with me. When a customer asks to
see 'the other stuff', I end up having to 'burrow' through boxes of
stuff - which al looks a bit unprofessional.

So - what I was looking for was the sort of thing that used to be
called a 'collectors cabinet' - having wide but shallow drawers g -
to store and display the boxed up jewellery (boxes are less than one
inch tall)... Maybe 4 - 6 drawers - each one maybe 1ft x 2ft....

I know it's a diy newsgroup and I could make such a thing - but
I was hoping that it already exists - and maybe I'm just not asking
for the right thing..... or in the right place .....

So - knowing the wide range of hobbies and interests that ukdiy
followers have - any bright suggestions please ??

Many thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

Try visiting a few auction rooms a few times these always crop up there.
Try also ebay for nicnacs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

look at the drawers they use for storing working drawing they are approx
1mtr wide by 600mm and only about 70mm deep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Isn't that a definition of a Chatham Chavette?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:28:47 +0100, "Dwayne & Angela"
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion.
I was hoping for something a little bit smaller - ideally about 1ft x
2ft - that could be easily lifted out of the car and stored in the
Studio. I think a plan chest is going to be a bit on the large side...

Regards
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Owain

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 19:25:18 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Adrian wrote:
There's never enough space on my market stall to display 'all' of the
hand-made glass jewellery that I have with me. When a customer asks to
see 'the other stuff', I end up having to 'burrow' through boxes of
stuff - which al looks a bit unprofessional.
So - what I was looking for was the sort of thing that used to be
called a 'collectors cabinet' - having wide but shallow drawers g -
to store and display the boxed up jewellery (boxes are less than one
inch tall)... Maybe 4 - 6 drawers - each one maybe 1ft x 2ft....

Bisley make metal filing cabinets with shallow drawers, in A4 or A3 size

http://www.bisley.co.uk/multidrawers.asp

Look a bit 'officey' (not surprising, perhaps ? g)
Also may be a bit heavy...

Plan chests might be too big, but wooden ones often go for a pittance
second-hand because so many drawing offices are moving to CAD and not
keeping lots of drawings.

http://www.bisley.co.uk/planfiles.asp

Yes - similar problems to the other units above

The type of plastic trays in storage units used in primary schools are
"gratnell trays", eg

http://www.classroomessentials.co.uk...6&dept%5Fid=19

Pricey !

Probably easiest to make your own though out of some plywood for the
sides and dividers with hardboard bottom. Route out a groove in 3 sides
and have the fourth side shallower, and you can have a slide-in lid
(clear plastic) which will show off everything nicely, keep stuff from
moving about, and protect against sticky- or light-fingered punters.

I think you are probably right....
Don't need dividers - could probably get away with treewood (say 1.5"
x .5") for the sides and hardboard or very thin ply for the bottoms.

Then just need some kind of framework into which they can slide.

Don't need the slide-in lid, it'll all be under close supervision g
- also, people need to be able to take stuff out and move it in the
light . try it on etc....

Looks like I need to do some diy - though that was going to be the
answer g

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Dave

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 19:42:39 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Isn't that a definition of a Chatham Chavette?

I wouldn't know.....

Had a Vauxhall Chevette once - dreadful thing !

Regards
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

look at the drawers they use for storing working drawing they are
approx 1mtr wide by 600mm and only about 70mm deep.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I was hoping for something a little bit smaller - ideally about 1ft x
2ft - that could be easily lifted out of the car and stored in the
Studio. I think a plan chest is going to be a bit on the large side...

Regards
Adrian

Keep your eyes peeled at bootsales etc for the trays that printers used
to store their letter sets in.

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.classroomessentials.co.uk...p?pf%5Fid=CE10...

[...]

You'll likely end up diying it. But there is just one other option,
thats to get an A4 sized 10 drawer cabinet, used for home offices. If
the drawrs are too deep, you could get a 2nd one and reduce the size
of all the drawers to bit both sets in the one case. 2 cabs can be
joined if you need bigger. I vaguely STR seeing something in Staples
several years back.

Another perhaps might be one of those sewing boxes that opens out
using a simlar mechanism to old metal toolboxes, ie you lift the 2
halves of the lid up and several trays lift out on both sides along
with the lid.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI NT
Thanks for the reply

wrote:
Adrian wrote:

[...]

Trouble with these things it that they all tend to be a bit 'officey'
- as in metal or chipboard - which makes them quite heavy....

Another perhaps might be one of those sewing boxes that opens out
using a simlar mechanism to old metal toolboxes, ie you lift the 2
halves of the lid up and several trays lift out on both sides along
with the lid.

Yes - that's a possibility - but may be too limiting in terms of
available space.

Difficult so-and-so - aren't I g

There's the beginning of a diy plan forming......

The local Builders Provider does a UPVC 'double fascia' - which is
like the stuff you use on ordinary house fascias but with a 'turn
round' on both long edges - kind of like a very shallow 'U' - and of
the order of 17" wide, 1" deep and and long as you like.
Add a couple of pieces of 2 x 1 (or lighter) timber for the front and
back, and you have a ready-made tray. EUREKA !

Then all that's needed is some kind of a simple 'carcase', with
plastic runners for the trays to slide on and the job's done !
Wonderful what a curry and a good night's sleep can do for the 'leetle
grey cells' g

Nice thing is - being in Ireland, the Builders Provider will happily
saw shorter lengths off the 4m fascia - so I can easily get enough for
(say) 6 drawers, without having to buy a massive piece of UPVC and
'waste' the other bit !

Thanks all for the suggestions.....
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Don

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 00:03:01 +0100, "Don Spumey"
wrote:

Adrian wrote:

look at the drawers they use for storing working drawing they are
approx 1mtr wide by 600mm and only about 70mm deep.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I was hoping for something a little bit smaller - ideally about 1ft x
2ft - that could be easily lifted out of the car and stored in the
Studio. I think a plan chest is going to be a bit on the large side...

Regards
Adrian

Keep your eyes peeled at bootsales etc for the trays that printers used
to store their letter sets in.

That's a thought......
trouble is, I need a solution fairly soon - the market season is just
starting to get into full swing over here, and the current 'toss it
all in a big box' solution needs to change....

With a bit of thought, the same scheme that I'm proposing elsewhere in
this thread could also be adapted to safely store my 'flat' stained
glass items - suncatchers, mirrors etc.....

Double EUREKA !

Thanks for your comments / suggestion

Adrian (soon to have drawers !)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:01:57 +0100, Adrian wrote:

[...]

===============================
Look at seed trays in a garden centre for some ideas. They're cheap and
can be built into a simple cabinet.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Cicero

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 08:08:51 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

[...]

That's a thought....

The standard tray is a bit on the small side for what I had in mind -
I don't know if anybody makes a 'double-size' tray.....

Looks more & more as if it's going to need a diy approach -
probably using the UPVC fascia I've mentioned elsewhere..

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message

===============================
Look at seed trays in a garden centre for some ideas. They're cheap and
can be built into a simple cabinet.

That's a thought....

The standard tray is a bit on the small side for what I had in mind -
I don't know if anybody makes a 'double-size' tray.....

Looks more & more as if it's going to need a diy approach -
probably using the UPVC fascia I've mentioned elsewhere..

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Adrian

Go to a bakery and see the bloke on yard duty,slip him a tenner and he'll
give you ten wooden pork pie trays. lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Adrian wrote:

[...]

I was thinking of lightweight low price plastic domestic ones. ISTR
around a tenner for a 10 drawer A4 thing.

Another perhaps might be one of those sewing boxes that opens out
using a simlar mechanism to old metal toolboxes, ie you lift the 2
halves of the lid up and several trays lift out on both sides along
with the lid.

Yes - that's a possibility - but may be too limiting in terms of
available space.

You cant divide your collection into 2 or 3 categories?

Difficult so-and-so - aren't I g

ha, thats life.

There's the beginning of a diy plan forming......

The local Builders Provider does a UPVC 'double fascia' - which is
like the stuff you use on ordinary house fascias but with a 'turn
round' on both long edges - kind of like a very shallow 'U' - and of
the order of 17" wide, 1" deep and and long as you like.
Add a couple of pieces of 2 x 1 (or lighter) timber for the front and
back, and you have a ready-made tray. EUREKA !

Then all that's needed is some kind of a simple 'carcase', with
plastic runners for the trays to slide on and the job's done !
Wonderful what a curry and a good night's sleep can do for the 'leetle
grey cells' g

sounds alright, if the appearance is ok.

NT

drawers Maurice Hood UK diy 4 May 9th 06 11:34 PM
CHEST OF DRAWERS. J T Woodworking 0 December 31st 05 12:29 AM
drawers leonard Woodworking 11 June 20th 05 05:14 PM
storage drawers JAMES Mankin Woodworking 5 December 31st 04 06:21 AM
Enough drawers, you think? Layne Woodworking 19 April 22nd 04 05:50 PM